Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Interpol changed the way they operate

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:24 pm

I was told this today:

while before the Interpol check was a passive search in the Interpol data base to see if someone is looking for you, now they do an active search in your country of origin and request also all your data (antecendentes penales and policiales) from your country of origin. If something comes out they will also act and send you back from Peru to where you came from... I think this procedure is NEW :shock:

While it may not be a problem for majority of us/you, I wonder if this is ever legal?! In my country nobody except myself can order a police check for my person, unless I give my consent to do so. I do not remember to have signed any consent when doing the Interpol check in the past.

I remember there was a dispute in Switzerland time ago about a similar issue, as Switzerland was silently ordering the checks from the country of origin when a person requested residence in Switzerland and did not ever notify the "candidate" that it was doing so. At the end the authorities were obliged by the high court in Switzerland to have the candidates sign a consent and be aware about the checks being ordered. I wonder what is the legal base here in Peru :?: I suppose there is none as usual...

So next time you think Peru is an "under radar" country it may turn out it is not anymore so much under the radar LOL.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Interpol changed the way they operate

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 pm

I had to go to interpol 15 years ago for my CE and at that time I had to order a FBI report on myself. Luckily there was nothing on their I did not know about!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Alpineprince wrote:I had to go to interpol 15 years ago for my CE and at that time I had to order a FBI report on myself. Luckily there was nothing on their I did not know about!

Yeah you still have to order FBI report yourself, if and only if you are US citizen. However apparently for non-US they are ordering the reports now in an automated manner from your country of origin, without your consent. That's how it works now.

This is now an "active" search for you, not a "passive" one as it was before (IIRC last year it was still "passive"). Passive means they only poll the database to see if someone already made a "notice" about you there. Active means they query directly your country to communicate them that you are being searched by Interpol and requesting residence in Peru and get an ACK or NACK from your home country (or in other words they ask your home country if they maybe wish to actively make some notice about you right NOW).

I wonder why this was changed?
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:42 am

mrsteak wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:I had to go to interpol 15 years ago for my CE and at that time I had to order a FBI report on myself. Luckily there was nothing on their I did not know about!

Yeah you still have to order FBI report yourself, if and only if you are US citizen. However apparently for non-US they are ordering the reports now in an automated manner from your country of origin, without your consent. That's how it works now.

This is now an "active" search for you, not a "passive" one as it was before (IIRC last year it was still "passive"). Passive means they only poll the database to see if someone already made a "notice" about you there. Active means they query directly your country to communicate them that you are being searched by Interpol and requesting residence in Peru and get an ACK or NACK from your home country (or in other words they ask your home country if they maybe wish to actively make some notice about you right NOW).

I wonder why this was changed?

Maybe there's been a large influx of excons?
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Maybe... however I do not like how it works now. It lacks some rules imho. For instance in my country you can easily go to jail for repeatedly using public transportation without buying a ticket :mrgreen: yeah, happens quickly! Now imagine you have a 6 month conviction in your penal record and they request that record for the migraciones in Peru. Will you get your residence? Who decides it? I do not see there are any rules... It is getting totally arbitrary IMO.

The immigration law and the checks in Peru are now hostile! It is just a country without working and well defined laws, just arbitrary stuff.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:47 pm

On the Contrary, it is good news for decent and respectable expats who do not want criminals coming from Europe and the rest of the World

Why a decent person who want to come to Peru and be a resident here, could ever be worried about being check by Interpol ?

MrSteak, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing be be worried about
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 pm

windsportinperu wrote:MrSteak, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing be be worried about

I do not complain about the checks being done - I complain about the way it is done and the lack of transparency. Other countries let *you* provide the necessary documents if you want residence. You request them from your country and you see the doc before giving them out to immigration - in that case there is nothing bad about it.

But there is apparently no transparency in Peru - they request *something* behind your back and that information is never shared with you. Neither there are rules known to the public, how this information influences your residency process. This is a lawful procedure for you? For me it is not. Just arbitrary procedure.

I won't be surprised if there will be more cases that people are extorted by "authorities" in Peru because they find some old stuff in the police records in their home countries. I just lack the belief that in this country sensitive information will be used for good purpose.

And another point: not all countries will even provide anything without written consent of the person. Countries with strong data protection rules will refuse to provide such data if not done by the individual itself. Other may just happily send anything to Peru. At the end it results in inequality how foreigners are treated in Peru. I do not like it as I do not like inequality.

In my opinion they should establish transparent rules what doc needs to be provided for the purpose of residency in Peru. Equal rules for all nationalities. But not the way they are doing it now - checks in the background without your consent with random outcome depending on your nationality... it is just another proof for me that Peru is a ridiculous place. No laws working here.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pm

You are speculating with every possible idea that comes to your mind.

There is nothing wrong or illegal when immigration checks your personal criminal records "in front of you" , or "behind you". It is just the same information. It is the same data, no matter if there is a "consent from you" or "not".

You are again supposing that the expats are going to be blackmailed with that information, what is again pure speculation.
Juan de los Altos

Postby Juan de los Altos » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Has anyone here actually been refused of a CE/Nationalization? Has this happened to anyone you actually know?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register