Prove social security income?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
stanmckay

Prove social security income?

Postby stanmckay » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 am

My Peruvian wife and I are applying for a loan to buy a house. The bank is requiring a document from the US embassy to verify my social security income. From what I understand, the online document from the Social Security website is all that is available and I read that the State Department will not authenticate the letter. Complicating the matter somewhat is the fact that social security questions are now to be handled in the US embassy in Costa Rica.

Inmigraciones had no problem with the internet printout attached to an affidavit by me and notarized here that it was a true copy of the online record and granted me permanent residence. However, the local banks will have none of it. I am wondering if I can attach this to some kind of affidavit from the embassy stating something or other (perhaps merely that there is a document attached) so I can present some kind of document with an embassy notary? (form seems to take precedence over substance here).

Any ideas? Or other ways to deal with this problem?

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Prove social security income?

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am

As others have found, in the end banks will not give a mortgage on non-Peruvian income, but enjoy the ride!
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 am

stanmckay wrote:My Peruvian wife and I are applying for a loan to buy a house. The bank is requiring a document from the US embassy to verify my social security income. From what I understand, the online document from the Social Security website is all that is available and I read that the State Department will not authenticate the letter. Complicating the matter somewhat is the fact that social security questions are now to be handled in the US embassy in Costa Rica.

Inmigraciones had no problem with the internet printout attached to an affidavit by me and notarized here that it was a true copy of the online record and granted me permanent residence. However, the local banks will have none of it. I am wondering if I can attach this to some kind of affidavit from the embassy stating something or other (perhaps merely that there is a document attached) so I can present some kind of document with an embassy notary? (form seems to take precedence over substance here).

Any ideas? Or other ways to deal with this problem?

"attach this to some kind of affidavit" "stating something or other" "present some kind of document"
Care to be more specific?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:35 pm

A Lot of the issues are due to Social Security being "judgment proof".
No entity or person in any country can "attach" a judgment/lien to Social Security earnings.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register