Latam caused this CRASH!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Latam caused this CRASH!

Postby woodchuck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:30 am

My Peruvian wife & I purchased 2 R/T tickets from Lima to Ayacucho on Wednesday March 14 to depart 5:35 am Tuesday March 20 return on Monday March 26.
This was to be our honeymoon & we had all our plans in place to have a neighbor watch the apartment & take care of our two (2) cats plus a taxi to the airport (paid in advance).
I entered my card info for BCP & received a confirmation code.
The next day I contacted Latam to make sure everything was ok as I can't access my BCP account online.
I was told "The tickets haven't been purchased yet." WHAT??? Why give me a confirmation code?
This morning (Sunday) I still don't have any confirmation the tickets have been purchased or what is going on.
There is plenty of money in my dollars account at BCP to cover the cost of the tickets.

I have several questions:
1. If I purchase new tickets, what penalty will I incur (in US you can cancel up to 24 hours later with a full refund; is it the same in Peru)?
2. As the 24 hour window to cancel has obviously expired, what penalty will I be subjected to if I cancel today & purchase new tickets (if available)?
3. As Latam's NEGLIGENCE has caused us emotional & probably financial damages, how should we be compensated under Peruvian law?
4. Would we need to file a claim with INDECOPI?
5. Would El Comercio be interested in this incident?
6. Has this ever happened to other expats & what eventually transpired?

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Latam caused this CRASH!

Postby ironchefchris » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 am

1. Why would there be a penalty for buying a (new) ticket?
2. Contact Latam and/or read the fine print of their policies online.
3. Talk to a lawyer about possible compensation under Peruvian law and if you even really have a case at this point.
4. Talk to a lawyer and/or INDECOPI.
5. Go straight to the source who can answer this question - El Comercio - and ask to speak with an editor about a potential story.
6. Good question. Never happened to me. Nor do I have much experience with lawyers, have only read El Comercio, and have zero experience with INDECOPI.

Since you have no online access to your BCP account and because this happened on Wednesday, did you go into a physical BCP bank on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday and inquire about this situation? What did the Latam rep. you spoke with have to say, specifically, about all of this as to why your tickets haven't been purchased yet? If the answer was unsatisfactory did you speak with a supervisor? Did you go into a Latam office or just call on the phone? In Perú I've always find it better to deal in person as opposed to online or the phone.

I'd talk to Latam again, in person (with a supervisor if necessary) and with your Peruvian wife along, for a detailed answer to your problem, and if they're not going to give you tickets with your confirmation code I'd inform them you're going to BCP to figure this out and that if there's still no solution that you'll be informing BCP not to pay any charges from Latam on the date/confirmation # in question. All in a very friendly, 'oh well, these things happen sometimes,' non-confrontational tone. After clearing up the current situation, if necessary, I'd make a new reservation with Latam, in their office, take the payment printout they give you, go back to BCP, and pay at the bank.

Unnecessarily difficult as it may be to finally get your tickets, I'd skip 3-5. Who wants to deal with lawyers/court system unless absolutely necessary? Who wants to pay an attorney for a consultation over a hypothetical situation that may not ever happen - "probably financial damages?" Negligence? How? Maybe so, but you haven't posted any details yet that would suggest negligence. Who wants to try to prove "emotional damages" on something like this? In Perú? Where screw ups and problems due to bureaucracy are a daily part of life? Maybe in the lawsuit happy US where people's skin is much thinner re: any kind of inconvenience you'd have a chance, after you've gotten a mental health professional who's diagnosed and treated your "emotional damages" to testify - but here in Perú? Who wants to deal with INDECOPI (or any govt. agency) unless it's absolutely necessary? What is your rate of success on your past/current INDECOPI cases and generally speaking, how do you judge them based on your past experiences? That should give you an idea as to whether or not to bother with INDECOPI? I'm guessing a story about an expat gringo with a carnet having troubles with a couple of large, bureaucratic companies doesn't make for a compelling newspaper story to the average Peruvian citizen El Comercio targets it's stories toward, but an editor there could probably tell you in 2 seconds.

Can only go by what you're posting and make an assumption, but it sounds like you haven't exhausted all your options yet. It all sounds like it's more time, trouble, and expense than it'd potentially be worth, but that's just me. I value my time and don't like wasting it or my money. I'm not into making big cases out of relatively little things; especially when it involves large, international companies, banks, lawyers and bureaucratic government agencies. I'd probably rather sit on a wet toilet seat then deal with all that.

What does your Peruvian wife and your Peruvian friends say about the situation and what do they suggest on how to proceed?

These kinds of things can be majorly frustrating. Good luck and enjoy your honeymoon.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:33 am

In this thread, you mentioned your bank account being closed. Perhaps that's the problem.
There was some sort of SNAFU between the airline and the bank.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30669
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:32 pm

The bank account was reopened some time ago, so that's not the issue.
It seems banks in Peru are not "consumer friendly" as in the US.
Their attitude usually is "we (the banks) are doing you a favor by holding your money for you".
We will charge you 9 soles to withdraw or deposit 10 soles; nice business!
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 am

The latest response from Latam this morning March 19 regarding issue from March 14.

Hello, we inform you that in this case the responsible group that is working in your request, will answer you this question through the case number #9247452. We appreciate your understanding. Kind regards.

NO POINTS for good customer service Latam!
Any other expats experience this with Latam or other airlines?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 am

So do you have flight reservations or not?
It'd be terrible to get to the airport only to be stonewalled and turned away.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Afrer no help from Latam, I now do have confirmed reservations.
I have no idea if my supposed ticket were cancelled & the money refunded.
I was forced to buy my tickets again to "save" my honeymoon.
I am sorry I can't give Latam a good rating.
Thanks for your concern...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register