Building a home in miraflores

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Bmoney514

Building a home in miraflores

Postby Bmoney514 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Brian, Im currently living in Montreal, Canada. Im the son of a Peruvian mother and Italia father.

We have a land in miraflores and will be looking this year into building a house.

Few questions;
- Anybody has any reco for a good architect and engineer?
- Also looking for a construction company I could trust.

Do you guys have any examples of construction prices you had to go through?

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Building a home in miraflores

Postby gringolandia » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:55 pm

My experience has been that architects often have a construction company they prefer to use, often one they own themselves.

My main recomendation would be to make sure you are physically present to monitor the construction.

I was only able to be present for a few key points of the construction of my beach house, and there were things done while I was away that I regret.

For example: the drain in the service area is not at the lowest part of the floor, so properly draining is a big effort. Also, they ran out of the plastic tube I had asked to have run to each room for ethernet and coaxial, so they just decided used a thinner tube for some rooms.

Simple things that will cost me a lot of $$ to fix.

So if at all possible, physically check the construction site at least once a week and make sure they are doing exactly what you want.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Man o man. I wanna be just like you when I grow up. You contract a guy to build a house and yet you are on site to micro manage.Al the faults you blame on the fact that you where not there, good show. I have to remember that.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:56 pm

gringolandia wrote:My experience has been that architects often have a construction company they prefer to use, often one they own themselves.

My main recomendation would be to make sure you are physically present to monitor the construction.

I was only able to be present for a few key points of the construction of my beach house, and there were things done while I was away that I regret.

For example: the drain in the service area is not at the lowest part of the floor, so properly draining is a big effort. Also, they ran out of the plastic tube I had asked to have run to each room for ethernet and coaxial, so they just decided used a thinner tube for some rooms.

Simple things that will cost me a lot of $$ to fix.

So if at all possible, physically check the construction site at least once a week and make sure they are doing exactly what you want.

Service area? You mean the water closet?
Just be happy there's one to use and not have to go in the bushes or behind a tree.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:36 pm

No, the "servicio"... the area for the maids and laundry.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 pm

69roadrunner wrote:Man o man. I wanna be just like you when I grow up. You contract a guy to build a house and yet you are on site to micro manage.Al the faults you blame on the fact that you where not there, good show. I have to remember that.

When you finally grow up you will realise in Peru the tradesmen lack fundamental leadership. A large investment, most of the time a life savings is ploughed in to this project and without somebody you trust at the helm, errors of judgement will be made, which could make the project worthless. There is little recourse after the event. That is a promise and not up for debate.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:51 pm

With an attitude like that anyone would be down right crazy to have a Peruvian build your home or any structure for that matter. You can take that to the bank.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:26 am

To the OP,

If I were you, I would sell the plot and with that money, buy an apartment or another ready-to-live house

Building a house is a work that should be done for someone who has previous experience.

During the building process, there are hundreds and hundreds of details that could end up wrong.

On the other side, the permits and regulations are tough in Miraflores.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:34 am

gringolandia wrote: My main recomendation would be to make sure you are physically present to monitor the construction.

It is a very good recommendation

We should be present - not only during the building of a property - but also during something that could be "easier" as the remodelation of our house
samthesham

Postby samthesham » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:38 am

windsportinperu wrote:
gringolandia wrote: My main recomendation would be to make sure you are physically present to monitor the construction.

It is a very good recommendation

We should be present - not only during the building of a property - but also during something that could be "easier" as the remodelation of our house

We should but sometimes we can't because we have other pressing business to take care of.
For the record, I've been quite pleased with the tradesmen and fundamental leadership that I've encountered.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register