Where to live in Peru for 6 Months with family?

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Sweden to Peru

Where to live in Peru for 6 Months with family?

Postby Sweden to Peru » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi there!

We are a family from Sweden planning to take parental leave in South America. And Peru is an interesting option for us. We will travel Oct/Nov 2018 to summer 2019. At the time of traveling we will be a family with four kids; 6, 4, 3, and 6 months. We don’t know anyone in Peru so we are looking for guidance from the readers in this forum.

What are we looking for?

We would like a nice family stay in Peru when it’s warm (and freezing cold in Sweden). But where should we stay? We’re could we live and enjoy our stay in Peru? We would like the children to learn Spanish fluently. They understand Spanish but the don’t speak it yet. So kindergarten a few hours a day for the three oldest would be preferable.
A nice affordable house or apartment that is convenient for a family to stay in. Preferably no stairs, play areas outside the house/apartment, walking distance to beach, grocery store, kindergarten etc. We would like to live without a car so service within walking or biking distances is preferred.

And of course a pretty safe area so we can enjoy our stay and interact with the people around us.

Do we ask to much of Peru? Or could You tell us a place that you would prefer if you were in our situation?

Thank you for your help!

chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Where to live in Peru for 6 Months with family?

Postby chante » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Arequipa - you can get all of what you're looking for, except for close to the beach - it's about 3 hours away. The weather is good, although it can be rainy in February and March. It's a lovely city - easier to get around then in Lima, great food, lots of areas to live in, reasonable cost. Places for your children to go to school and learn Spanish. Houses might be hard to find, but you can find apartments with a park nearby for the children to play in. biking isn't really recommended as a means of transportation, but walking is common and buses and taxis are very inexpensive.

Ask to join Expats Arequipa on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/arequipaexpats/ - the moderator asks you to introduce yourself to have you join the group.

Members will be able to provide information on specific questions.

Good luck, Arequipa is a lovely city .
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:39 am

At least in Lima, I do not think you will find what you are looking for.

Any place near the beach that is also safe and convenient and near a school is going to be very expensive.

I agree that Arequipa is very nice, and you may want to look there.

In general I'd say that coming to Peru to live for any extended period of time can be very difficult if you have no connections here. Connections are so important here for gathering information, bypassing bureaucratic red-tape, and making sure you are not being taken advantage of.

We'll try to help if you have specific questions. Your ask is a bit too vague at this point.
mark7402
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mark7402 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi

It really depends on your finances.

try looking here https://urbania.pe/ to get some ideas of prices and pm me if you want to know about areas.

Arequipa is an idea but then the north of Peru will give you the sun and beaches
In Lima you have options Miraflores,surco,san isidro and Barranco, which are the expensive areas and outside of these you need a little more knowledge of exactly which part you are moving to.

Don't be afraid to get in touch with me.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 am

gringolandia wrote:At least in Lima, I do not think you will find what you are looking for.

Any place near the beach that is also safe and convenient and near a school is going to be very expensive.

I agree that Arequipa is very nice, and you may want to look there.

In general I'd say that coming to Peru to live for any extended period of time can be very difficult if you have no connections here. Connections are so important here for gathering information, bypassing bureaucratic red-tape, and making sure you are not being taken advantage of.

We'll try to help if you have specific questions. Your ask is a bit too vague at this point.

Basically as Gringolandia says. For all those things combined you are going to have to pay a lot of money. I know Peru has great history and culture which would be amazing for your children to see but honestly if you just want them to learn Spanish and be near a beach you'd be way better off just going to the South of Spain.

I've got a friend who moves out there during the winter months to get away from the high rental prices in London and he's living like a king by the sounds of it. Apartment on the beach front for well under 400 euros a month and everything in walking distance and meals for 4 euros.

Peru was cheap but it's becoming increasingly expensive. If you come to Peru you'll be paying a lot more money for everything unfortunately.
Airedependiente

Postby Airedependiente » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:53 am

Peruvian here! recomendation ? Arequipa or North country... Not Lima UNLESS you can really invest on places like La Molina... Miraflores and such right now are in 55 to 60 Fº -night- and thats cold for us :( ! but if doesnt bother you... sure :) ! Still: i also agree that you might want to consider other provinces outside Lima.
Great luck !

Now Loading...

Crazy ideas: Sooo welcome.
FROADS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby FROADS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Although Lima is currently in winter season, Chosica which is about 45 minutes away from Lima always has sunny weather year round. And Chosica is well known for having various country clubs throughout the area as well as nice tourist attraction and locales that are worth a visit. I am currently renting an apartment out there pm me for more details.
MirafloresLima

Postby MirafloresLima » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 am

Hello,

From my own experience, I would recommend Miraflores. We have a 3 bedroom apartment to let If you have not settled on a place yet.
You are welcome to contact us if you wish to have more information (LimaMiraflores.ent@gmail.com)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register