Is overstaying my tourist visa still no big deal?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
lacanchadetumadre

Is overstaying my tourist visa still no big deal?

Postby lacanchadetumadre » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:45 am

In the airport in Lima, the customs officer gave me 3 months. I want to stay for six months.

Can I just pay my $1 per day fine and that's it? Or am I risking some serious consequences like being permanently banned?

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is overstaying my tourist visa still no big deal?

Postby 69roadrunner » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 pm

No big deal? You are talking breaking Peruvian law, here.
samthesham

Postby samthesham » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

The audacity of some people never ceases to amaze me.
Since people can no longer skirt the law, suddenly Peru has lost its luster.
The bloom is officially off the Peruvian rose.
But my advice is to be a good tourist and enjoy the treasures of Peru like cheap menu grub and democratic prices while you're here and leave when your time is up.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:38 am

By law the maximum stay for a tourist is 183 days.
I never understood why some tourists received 183 day & others didn't.
There needs to be a consistent/unbiased precedent to awarding days.
I believe the over-stay fine is now $5 a day (which can make a difference).
PS - a poster has corrected this amount to be $4.50 a day
Last edited by woodchuck on Thu May 03, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:37 pm

It is currently $4.50 per day.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks, that is a huge increase from $1!
lacanchadetumadre

Postby lacanchadetumadre » Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 am

Thanks for the information, guys!

That is a 450% increase in penalties, from $1 USD to $4.50 USD, but fortunately it won't break the bank. I'll stay here for a few months illegally, shamelessly enjoying my life as an international scofflaw.

Samthesham, I am glad that my audacity amazes you, my ex-girlfriends say that that nothing about me is amazing.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 am

No matter what a person does in his/her life, there are always situations where they have to decide how to act given the circumstances & their willingness to accept the consequences.
Every situation is different & unique.
samthesham

Postby samthesham » Thu May 03, 2018 7:12 am

lacanchadetumadre wrote:Thanks for the information, guys!

That is a 450% increase in penalties, from $1 USD to $4.50 USD, but fortunately it won't break the bank. I'll stay here for a few months illegally, shamelessly enjoying my life as an international scofflaw.

Samthesham, I am glad that my audacity amazes you, my ex-girlfriends say that that nothing about me is amazing.

I'm even more amazed at your arrogance.
Coming on a forum and bragging about being a law breaker. But whatever floats your boat.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Sat May 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Further to my last comment about the multa per day now being $4.50, there has also been a recent change to the tourist visa situation.
As I understand the situation, up until earlier this year, your tourist visa can be 90 days or 183 days.The difference for awarding the 183 day one seems to be IF you are visiting family....but not 100% sure!!
When your visa expired, you could simply fly out to another country..eg Chile, Ecuador etc, return and get another tourist visa in Peru....BUT NOT NOW, the maximum remains at 183 days ....but only ONCE in a 365 day period.
How do I know? well, my wife is a Peruvian citizen, but when we immigrated back to Peru, after 11 years in my home country,Australia, she entered Peru on her Aussie passport, because she didnt think that she could enter on her DNI.....wrong!!
Now, after 6 months, she has to fly out on her Aussie passport, to get it "exit" stamped, then fly back and re-enter on her Peruvian DNI. Carumba !!
Why they couldnt just change her status on Migraciones computer is beyond me.....but there again, I am a logical person.
She received an Urgent notice from Migraciones informing her what she had to do, and stated the NEW tourist visa period per YEAR.
Hope my anecdote helps someone !!
Cheers all.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon May 07, 2018 3:16 pm

If a person demands logical, Peru is not the place for them!
rudder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rudder » Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 am

What if you travel to Peru for 30 DAYS in April ...can you go back for another couple months in November of the same calendar year?

Another scenario: Is it OK to stay in Peru every year as a tourist from December - March? Or the following year you wouldn't be able to come back until 365 days after the date you left Peru the previous year?
Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue May 08, 2018 2:42 pm

The scenario of shorter stays and returning for another period should be okay, as the regulation now states a maximum of 183 days maximum within a 365 day period. But,but,but...I would check with Immigration at the airport to be on the safe side.
The Dec-Mar stay would be the max. if you stayed for the whole 183 days...so the reg still stands....doesn't matter if it is one year to the next. So, yes, you could not return until 365 days from your departute date in March.
Hope this clarifies.
Cheers.
chante
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chante » Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Wiracocha

Have you been denied entry (or has anyone else) based on being allowed 183 days in a 365 day period and wanting to enter sooner than 365 days since your last exit?

My husband and i have been coming for January till April (four months) for years including last year (2017). When we came this January we didn't have any problems getting 90 days even though we'd only been out of the country eight months. Becasue of family commitments we only wanted three months this year rather than four.

Also, do people only get either 90 days or 183, not 120 which we've gotten in the past when we've asked for four months.
Alienescape

Postby Alienescape » Thu May 10, 2018 11:03 am

Wiracocha wrote:It is currently $4.50 per day.

Hey I'm wondering where you're seeing this. All the websites I'm looking at still say $1 USD a day. You are talking USD or Soles?

Also I'm going to be paying my fee at the Lima Airport, has anyone done that? How easy is the process?
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Whoops!! Having re-read the letter to my wife, the multa is Soles/ 4.15 per day. ....not dollars....gonna need new glasses....sorry all for the error. :-(
cheers,
V
mark7402
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mark7402 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm

I just returned after my 2nd 3+ year overstay and can confirm it is s/.4.15 a day (yes I had to pay about s/.4500 fine again)

As for overstaying I would say I am very very lucky and will not be doing this again.
I was at the boarder for about 4 hours sorting out the payment and watching my passport being passed around so that all the officers could have a little laugh about my situation.
Rigtly so they made me wait and feel like the worlds worst criminal.

My advice...don't do what i did unless you have absolutely no other options available to you.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Rightly so, lol, what an expression. At least you are not whining and taking it like a man. After all you did knowing break the law. Good for you, warning other potential law beakers.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register