Tips for buying land in the provinces

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rudder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tips for buying land in the provinces

Postby rudder » Tue May 08, 2018 10:29 am

I'm married to a Peruvian wife. She's about to get dual citizenship in the USA via marriage with me. We work and live in the USA.

We want to implement a 10 hectare agroforestry project on rural property in the northeastern part of Peru, close to my wife's hometown.

Any advice for property searching? There is little to be found online, and we just took a trip there, and didn't see any ads in the local papers. Very few signs on the carretera too. How do Peruvian people advertise land they're selling?

From what I've seen most properties are extremely overvalued, and I don't think equivalent properties would cost as much in most of the USA.

Still, I've seen a few deals. Like 80 Hectares for $45,000usd. The market seems to be all over the place, but mostly tends towards people asking for way too much money. I'm not sure if people are buying at these prices.

Is there some sort of real estate bubble going on now?

Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tips for buying land in the provinces

Postby Alan » Tue May 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi,

As you probably know, there are issues of land title in Peru, and this is particularly true in Provinces. The two issues that spring to mind that you need to take care about are invasions after you have bought the land, and to be certain that the land you buy allows you outright title. You need to source somebody in the community that you can trust, and do your due diligence directly with the public registry.

Prices will vary a lot depending on whether the land is suited for agriculture, and how close you are to roads.

Keep us posted. It is an interesting topic.
Udo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Udo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 am

I have been looking myself for parcels up to 10 hectares en Viru, La Libertad, just south of Trujillo. It has been very much word of mouth as I arrive in the Plaza de Armas of Chao and just start walking around. Apparently, every Plaza is supposed to have a "consejo" office maintaining property records, but they didn't help me. Neither did a nearby building of "juntas vecinales." The classified section of La Industria is very slim pickings.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed May 09, 2018 3:46 pm

I have had good success finding all kinds of real estate in olx.com.
As far as a bubble, I believe there is one & I hope it bursts soon.
It is difficult to find any real estate agents once you are out of the greater Lima area or not in a larger city.
No matter where you are searching, there is a main gathering area where real estate listings are posted.
You can PM me if you need more help.
rudder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rudder » Thu May 10, 2018 7:50 pm

woodchuck wrote:I have had good success finding all kinds of real estate in olx.com.
As far as a bubble, I believe there is one & I hope it bursts soon.
It is difficult to find any real estate agents once you are out of the greater Lima area or not in a larger city.
No matter where you are searching, there is a main gathering area where real estate listings are posted.
You can PM me if you need more help.

Yeah, olx is the only website that has a significant amount of listings that I've seen.

What "gathering area" do you refer to?

I was thinking of visiting agroveterinarias or ag supply stores and checking to see if they have bulletin boards.

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Rudder,

Do you have any kind of particular crops in mind ?
rudder
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby rudder » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Hi Rudder,

Do you have any kind of particular crops in mind ?

We recently contracted someone to plant 11,595 plantones. There are 55 different species in total, but a core group comprised primarily of Guava, Pino Chuncho, Coco, Mango, Palta and Nuez de Macadamia.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register