Wire transfer from Peru to the U.S.

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

aldolein

Wire transfer from Peru to the U.S.

Postby aldolein » Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi, all! Does someone know which Peruvian bank agency can help me out with a wire transfer from Peru to the U.S.? I have unsuccessfully tried it twice with Scotiabank Peru agents which lied to me and even said the account number is incorrect which is false. The thing is that I am trying to wire transfer some money to my brokerage account at First National Bank of Omaha. So, my brokerage can update my account balance with them once the money gets into their account at the bank. So, this implies "for credit to" my brokerage and "for benefit of" myself. If anyone reading this knows who this works, I would very much appreciate any kind of help!

Regards,

Aldo

:D

leavemyvoiceonthesea

Re: Wire transfer from Peru to the U.S.

Postby leavemyvoiceonthesea » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 am

I've done the reverse (from the US to Peru) before. It's generally very expensive to do a direct wire transfer through the bank. I had to pay $50 to my bank in the US to do the transfer, and was also charged about another $25 in fees when I received the money in my account in Peru (with BCP). I think the exact amount varies depending on the amount of the transfer.

I've also received money via Western Union, which is cheaper than a wire transfer. According to the website, they do transfers to bank accounts as well. However, after my latest experience with them, they can be very difficult and have bad customer service. Most of my problems were caused by the sender using their app to fill out my recipient data, and it caused a huge headache for me. They're very careful about putting your name EXACTLY as it appears on your ID and accounts in order to send/receive money to prevent fraud. You might still go in and ask about the service.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:06 pm

First National Bank in Omaha has 3-4 different swiftcodes, Make sure you are using the correct one!
aldolein

Postby aldolein » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Thank you both for the responses! :) I actually did the transaction successfully with BCP. In case someone is reading this, I strongly recommend doing it with BCP as other banks such as Scotiabank Peru have no clue about the process.

Regards,

Aldo
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am

May I ask what were the fees at BCP for this transfer?
I will be transferring $8,000 in a month or so to Peru from a US Bank.
My wire transfer fee from the US will be $40 but no idea about a bank in Peru.
If there are any better/cheaper ways to do this I am listening.
Thanks.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 am

I just paid $22.00 yesterday for a similar amount into my Interbank account. I do not pay fee's on the US side as it is Schwab bank.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am

woodchuck wrote:May I ask what were the fees at BCP for this transfer?
I will be transferring $8,000 in a month or so to Peru from a US Bank.
My wire transfer fee from the US will be $40 but no idea about a bank in Peru.
If there are any better/cheaper ways to do this I am listening.
Thanks.

$8000!!
Yeah, party at Woody's place!!
Seriously, that fee is about the going rate.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:02 pm

The max we have been charged to receive money from abroad was US$89, but that included the fee from the other side. So I suppose if you already paid $40, you can expect roughly another $50 from the Peruvian and intermediate banks. ( Yes there also might be an intermediate bank, who also charges a fee .. ). But on an amount of $8000 that is roughly 1%, which is a lot less then what we pay to Visanet to receive money from abroad. So for large amounts it works out just fine to do banktransfers.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:59 am

Wire transfer fee from Chase in the US is $40, at least it is for me. The fee to receive the wire at BCP in Peru is $20.
Airedependiente

Postby Airedependiente » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:29 am

I use the payoneer system: is a card (VISA system) that allows you to move money easily worldwide: i think the cost is 30 dlls a year.

It basically creates a First National Bank account ( you can deposit there) for you and moves the money via internet: i used to get money directly from that card without fees in Scotiabank... but now is more convenient to link the card to a national BCP account in SOLES and move directly the money from payooner to your BCP Soles account ... Payooner gets the benefit from the exchange value (conversion dollars/sol) that they do plus a little fee ( 2 dllrs or so for every 100 ) . It takes aprox 5 - 6 days tops-

Good luck!

Now Loading...

Crazy ideas: Sooo welcome.
leavemyvoiceonthesea

Postby leavemyvoiceonthesea » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 am

I also did it from Chase and it ended up costing me $50 in the US to do the wire transfer from what I remember, and $25 more approximately to receive the money in my BCP account here in Peru. This was for a $500 transfer. Fees can change, and it may also be that the fee is a percentage of the transfer amount.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 am

I have a premium Chase account which may have slightly cheaper wire fees. I always transfer about $9k each time. The fee is the same regardless, so might as well go for a large amount.

Nothing special about my BCP account though, so no idea why my fee is less than yours.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register