info about international schools in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

franci

info about international schools in Lima

Postby franci » Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 am

Good morning everyone,
we are italian and we are moving to Lima with our three kids (13,11 and 8 years old) because of my husband job in an international organization.
We know that in Lima there are several good international schools and we already get in touch with some of them but we would like to know if someone in this forum has a direct experience to share with us. How about Colegio Peruano Britanico vs Marckam college or Roosvelt school?
Someone has information about the ICS school of Lima. ?
Please note that we are really interested in an english speaking school but our kids are italian mother tongue and attended italian public schools: they studied English and spanish as second languages but we cannot say that they are fluent; we would preferer a school with EFL program for non english native speakers.
We have not decided yet were we are going to live but we are interested in Miraflores or Surco/San Borja areas. Any advice?
Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.
Francesca

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: info about international schools in Lima

Postby Alan » Tue May 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi,

We really enjoyed having our two kids in ICS Lima. It is a smaller school with good quality teachers (almost all Americans), and a very caring atmosphere. Obviously, you need to be comfortable with the Christian aspect of the school because it is quite strong. We moved both kids out when they were 13 though, since the upper grades did not have many kids and the options and electives get a little thin. Another drawback from our perspective was that there is a fairly high rotation of children at the school. Most seem to stay 3 to 4 years athe most. ON the positive side, they have small class sizes ( I think 15 is max, and we found on average of 7 or 8 during our time there). On the negative side, athletic facilities are lacking. Overall though, it is an excellent school, particularly if you are only going to be here for a few years, you value an English language education, and you live in Miraflores or San Isidro.

We also had experience with Peruano Britanico. Note: if you live in Miraflores, it is a one hour commute there and back most days. It is an IB school, and they have invested pretty heavily in facilites over the past few years. The education is good overall, and the administration was top notch. Classes are fairly large though, and the school is geared towards self-motivated academic achievers. Markham is a more established school and more expensive than PB. Note that they have two campuses though, so your kids would be split up, and you would be drivin g to two locations, not one.

In my view, Roosevelt is the creme de la creme. I have never met a Roosevelt teacher or administrator who did not impress me. Downside, it's the most expensive school in Peru, and not only are you paying high tuition, the entry quota is a killer. Now, if your husband's company is paying, lucky you, otherwise, do some number crunching.

Drop me a PM if you need some more information.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 am

My kids are at Roosevelt so I can try to answer any specific questions you might have.

Generally speaking, from what I have seen and heard Roosevelt is more flexible and requires significant family involvement, whereas Marckam is more strict and organized with less family involvement required.

Roosevelt's approach seems to be to take things slowly at the start and instill a love of learning, whereas Marckam gets the kids doing a lot of challenging homework right from the start. Each approach might be better for different kids since everyone learns differently. The older kids I've met from both schools have been very polite and well versed.
franci

Postby franci » Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 am

Thank you both for your ready and interesting replies ! i'm going to contact you soon for more questions. Thanks again

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register