Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Wiracocha
Silver Member
Silver Member

LIMA TRAFFIC

Postby Wiracocha » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:08 pm

G'day all,

I have been here a few times now over the past 10 years, and currently for 1 year. I am familiar with Lima road traffic, but no way would I ever drive here....even after driving for 50 years back home.

Anyway, I know that 99% don't obey most traffic rules, and there are many more new cars on the road since my last visit...sign economic of the times !

My open question is: why can't drivers, in their newish cars,move their fingers to operate their turning indicators ?
Makes crossing corner streets a rather hit and miss affair.

Some do on, the Panam Norte highway,, but then leave the indicator on, and change in the opposite direction.sheesh!

Could some kind person enlighten me to the logic in these practices ?

Just wondering ?? :-)

Cheers,
Wiracocha

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LIMA TRAFFIC

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Culture, Poor Driving Skills, Bad Policing, and the pair of horns that appear as soon as a driver gets in his car. Only been driving here 10 plus years.
Wiracocha
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Adrian, you are a braver man than me, Gungadin !! :-)
eugene.in.peru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby eugene.in.peru » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:45 am

I've been avoiding driving in Lima, right after I shelled out for a car, because taking Uber is actually cheaper. Poor decision to buy a car probably but I wanted to get out of the city to explore.
But now that I have a car I have to modify it for Peru, so that I stand out less when I'm driving, I plan to buy an extra loud horn - Hella makes really annoying one. And change all of the functioning lights in my vehicle to blink all the time. They also sell blue / red flashing lights that I can add to the roof, and have on the dash, that's my next purchase. With that I can drive like everybody else.
gt-cri

Postby gt-cri » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Wiracocha wrote:G'day all,

Could some kind person enlighten me to the logic in these practices ?

Just wondering ?? :-)

Cheers,
Wiracocha

Logic? LOGIC??? Methinks you've answered your own question! :wink:
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:27 pm

A litany of things really complicate traffic here, beyond careless driving habits. The roads are very crowded, there are a ton of jay walking pedestrians, and there are multiple forms of vehicles moving at different speeds: slow trucks piled high with rubble, moto taxis, empowered 4x4s, dueling busses, and taxis and combis swerving in and out stopping at curbs, blocking everything behind them as they negotiate with potential passengers. Oh yeah, and motorbikes, mostly working on the clock delivering pizzas and chicken.

I thought it was bad enough driving here, but recently had the pleasure of teaching my son to drive. I caught myself laughing out loud at some of the hilarious traffic moments that mixed most of the elements mentioned above. It was either laugh or cry. His comment was that traffic laws here seemed to be closer to suggestions.

A good question to ask is what Lima trafic will be like in five years time as the pool of cars continues to climb. Hopefully technology and stricter policing will come in to play.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:37 am

The ideal vehicle for Lima traffic...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_truck
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Alan wrote:A litany of things really complicate traffic here, beyond careless driving habits. The roads are very crowded, there are a ton of jay walking pedestrians, and there are multiple forms of vehicles moving at different speeds: slow trucks piled high with rubble, moto taxis, empowered 4x4s, dueling busses, and taxis and combis swerving in and out stopping at curbs, blocking everything behind them as they negotiate with potential passengers. Oh yeah, and motorbikes, mostly working on the clock delivering pizzas and chicken.

I thought it was bad enough driving here, but recently had the pleasure of teaching my son to drive. I caught myself laughing out loud at some of the hilarious traffic moments that mixed most of the elements mentioned above. It was either laugh or cry. His comment was that traffic laws here seemed to be closer to suggestions.

A good question to ask is what Lima trafic will be like in five years time as the pool of cars continues to climb. Hopefully technology and stricter policing will come in to play.

Hmmm, Don't think I ever saw a moto taxi in Lima, so you can't blame them.
"multiple forms of vehicles moving at different speeds?" How many soeeds can you assign to SLOW, not moving. The whole problem is the poorly layed out roads and no room for expansion on existing roads.
Poor enforcement? What laws are being borken and need enforced? In grid lock traffic how can you possibly break any laws?
Then there is the court problem. Where is the traffic court in Peru.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register