Apellido Materno for a baby born in Peru when the mother changed name upon marriage

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

lialia

Apellido Materno for a baby born in Peru when the mother changed name upon marriage

Postby lialia » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:53 pm

I am a Canadian female married to a Peruvian male. We got married in Canada, and I changed my last name to my husband's. Subsequently, we moved to Peru, and on my CE I have only one apellido, which is the same as my husband's apellido paterno.

We are going to have a baby (to be born in Peru), and I'm afraid the poor kid will have a repeated apellido paterno and materno. Is there any way to give the baby my maiden name (instead of my married name) as its apellido materno? (Other than giving birth in Canada or legally changing my name before the baby is born)

For example:

Father's name: Juan Perez Diaz
Mother's maiden name: Jane Smith
Mother's current name on CE: Jane Perez

Is it possible for the baby to be "Baby Perez Smith", in order to avoid "Baby Perez Perez"? How???

Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Apellido Materno for a baby born in Peru when the mother changed name upon marriage

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:36 pm

I dunno. I think "Baby Perez Perez" sounds kinda cool.
Just sayin.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Apellido Materno for a baby born in Peru when the mother changed name upon marriage

Postby jumpinjack » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm

lialia wrote:I am a Canadian female married to a Peruvian male. We got married in Canada, and I changed my last name to my husband's. Subsequently, we moved to Peru, and on my CE I have only one apellido, which is the same as my husband's apellido paterno.

We are going to have a baby (to be born in Peru), and I'm afraid the poor kid will have a repeated apellido paterno and materno. Is there any way to give the baby my maiden name (instead of my married name) as its apellido materno? (Other than giving birth in Canada or legally changing my name before the baby is born)

For example:

Father's name: Juan Perez Diaz
Mother's maiden name: Jane Smith
Mother's current name on CE: Jane Perez

Is it possible for the baby to be "Baby Perez Smith", in order to avoid "Baby Perez Perez"? How???

Just a wild guess, You get pregnant by a Peruvian in Peru, ya gotta play by their rules.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Hello Lialia,

I have always thought that the spanish-system for naming a person with the 2 last name one from the father and one from mother is far way better than the one last name's father as in the english-system . The Mother is who suffer more for having the baby and do not even have the right to give her last-name to her baby In the english-system,

We in the spanish culture, as part of our education, value a lot the origin of your 1º and 2º last-names

As you already know, Perez is probably one of the most common last-name in Peru. Perez+Perez last-name will end-up as a bad name for your baby, at least for the spanish-origin culture.

You should try every possible option to give your baby Perez + Smith name. So if you do not find an answer here at expatperu, try to do it at Reniec or any other related institution in advance
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:33 am

Back in the day. Before, at Naturalisation and since, because of English documents. Everything has my middle christian name as the maternal. In fact it is very common for people to address me as Mr David. It does no harm and might be worth bearing this approach in mind.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:28 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Hello Lialia,

I have always thought that the spanish-system for naming a person with the 2 last name one from the father and one from mother is far way better than the one last name's father as in the english-system . The Mother is who suffer more for having the baby and do not even have the right to give her last-name to her baby In the english-system,

We in the spanish culture, as part of our education, value a lot the origin of your 1º and 2º last-names

As you already know, Perez is probably one of the most common last-name in Peru. Perez+Perez last-name will end-up as a bad name for your baby, at least for the spanish-origin culture.

You should try every possible option to give your baby Perez + Smith name. So if you do not find an answer here at expatperu, try to do it at Reniec or any other related institution in advance

I think all that is obvious to her, except your thought "I have always thought that the spanish-system for naming a person with the 2 last name one from the father and one from mother is far way better than the one last name's fathers" but what does all that have to do with working Smith into the name?
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:31 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Back in the day. Before, at Naturalisation and since, because of English documents. Everything has my middle christian name as the maternal. In fact it is very common for people to address me as Mr David. It does no harm and might be worth bearing this approach in mind.

Problem with that, her middle name is not Smith. Try again.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 am

My Peruvian born kids have Jr. after their father's (my) last name! So they are Smith Jr Perez. I tried to explain about the use of suffixes, but they wouldn't have any of my ligic. Fortunately, the US Embassy could do a correction on the US documents. Two different names in two different countries. But its ok here. At least my little girl doesn't have to explain here (US) about being a Jr.
ad2918

Postby ad2918 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Dont worry! when your baby is born they will put your maiden name in the "partida de nacimiento" just make sure they understand that your maiden name is Jane Smith and your married name Jane Perez. So your baby will be BABY PEREZ SMITH. Also if you have some ID with your maiden name that would be more helpful for the person who is going to register your baby. I think the second last name format is so cool, it makes people more unique. congrats on your new addition :)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register