Can vets write pets RXs here? Also, cat boarding in Callao

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
EliBlue

Can vets write pets RXs here? Also, cat boarding in Callao

Postby EliBlue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:42 am

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Gracias in advance for your help, I hope this is the right place to post this!

I have been spending average 3-4 months per year in Peru for work since 2009, and right now I've been in country since June. However I just found out that my current stay will be extended until at least June 2019, when I originally thought I'd be back in the US by October.

Long story short, my cat is currently living with my ex, and we've decided to start exploring options to have the cat come and live here with me. We're on top of all the pet import issues, vet visits, USDA certs etc., but I'm a little more concerned about what happens once the cat arrives.

My cat has feline asthma and requires daily doses from an inhaler (for a good laugh, look up youtube videos of cats using inhalers. It's absurd.)
I've done my research and the inhaler is easily and cheaply purchased at most pharmacies, but it is a prescription-only medication.
My question is this: in Peru, are vets able to write prescriptions for human medications?
In the US, his vet writes him the rx and I can pick it up at any pharmacy, but I want to be sure that this is the case in Peru as well before I bring my cat here.

And one last concern: I would also have to board him in Callao for a week or so when he arrives, because he'd be flying in with my parents and we're going to Cusco the very next morning - no time to take him to my house about 4 hours south of Lima. If anyone has experience with pet boarding relatively close to the airport and can recommend a place, I'd appreciate the tip!

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Can vets write pets RXs here? Also, cat boarding in Callao

Postby fanning » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Most prescription only medicine you can buy without a prescription. Maybe medicine like sleeping pills etc which can cause addiction are enforced. If you are currently in Peru, why don't you just try to buy the medicine you need ? Then you know for sure.
If 10 people on the forum tell you there will not be a problem, you still don't have a guarantee..
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Can vets write pets RXs here? Also, cat boarding in Callao

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:09 am

fanning wrote:Most prescription only medicine you can buy without a prescription. Maybe medicine like sleeping pills etc which can cause addiction are enforced. If you are currently in Peru, why don't you just try to buy the medicine you need ? Then you know for sure.
If 10 people on the forum tell you there will not be a problem, you still don't have a guarantee..

I don't think he needs sleeping meds for the cat.
The cat has asthma.
I'd be concerned about it being in Cusco. Higher altitude could worsen the condition.
Large and in charge!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register