3-4 meals in Lima - What are some of the not to miss places?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
uday029

3-4 meals in Lima - What are some of the not to miss places?

Postby uday029 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:02 pm

Hello all,

I know that this is a very vague question which is probably very difficult to answer. But I am trying to see what kind of suggestions I get so I can make the best decision and cover some good spots within the short period.

Considering the little time we have, we can do - 2 lunches, 1 breakfast, 1 dinner, 1 dessert and may be squeeze in a third lunch and some snacks (we love food). For example, I can share food with my wife at three different street food places to make up for 1 lunch. We are looking for local authentic Peruvian/South American cuisine for each of our meals. We do have budget to go to nicer restaurants for a meal or two. I am basically looking for recommendations as to places that locals love to go.

Thank you all.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 3-4 meals in Lima - What are some of the not to miss places?

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Ooo.. love this topic. Here are my for three top 3 picks.

For Arquipeño dishes, try El Rincon de Tia Baya. https://www.facebook.com/rinconcitodetiabaya/. Innexpensive, and close to Miraflores (in case that is where you are staying). Not the best neighborhood, but the food is legit. Try the stuffed pepper (Rocoto relleno) and the lamb ribs (costillar). Good meal with beer will set you back around $30 for two.

For seafood, try the Picanteria.http://www.picanteriasdelperu.com/ Also in Surquillo, but don't let the low-brow surroundings surprise you. The restaurant is upscale price wise. Go for a cebiche and a sudado (fish in a thick broth). Both dishes will be made from the same fish you can choose yourself. Meal for two with a Chilcano or a Pisco sour drink will run close to $80.

For food from the north of Peru, try the Club Lambayeque, in Miraflores. https://www.facebook.com/comedorclublambayeque/Have the rice and duck, Arroz con Pato and the goat (Cabrito al norteño). You'll spend around $40 for two.

Bon appetit.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:42 pm

It's not the best seafood restaruant in Peru but Embar Cadero 41 does have a good standard. The one good thing about Embar Cadero 41 is that the menu has a picture for every dish available.
It sounds stupid but just being able to see a picture of a dish makes it so much easier to know what you want to choose, although there is so much good seafood dishes you will end up spending thirty minutes trying to figure out what you want!
Definetly make the most of the seafood though, it's truely amazing!

Another cheap option for drinks and snacks for a place to crash out is Bueno Vista cafe. It's a small cafe on the malecon cliff tops with great views over the sea and coast of Lima. Well priced and a great location, especially if you consider you'll end up paying triple the amount in one of Larco Mars cafe/restaurants for similar views.
uday029

Postby uday029 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Thank you very much for your responses. I have bookmarked all these on my google maps and will probably most of them a try.
Also, any recommendations for good street food locations (to go or to avoid)?
Other than your recommendations, I bookmarked the following (based on other review sources and forums):
1. La Lucha Sangucheria
2. Panchita
3. Marcado 28
What do you think of the above three? and finally I am trying to make a reservation at Maido for our one splurge. Any comments about Maido? Are there any other such fine dining restaurants that are worth trying (I can swap Maido for some other restaurant).

Thanks.
uday029

Postby uday029 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Also, any places around Historic center? So we can grab somethings while doing a walking tour? Thanks.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:44 pm

There are three "top" restaurants in Lima that make all the lists. Central (tough to get a reservation, but good. They now only have a closed tasting menu now, so not as good as it used to be. Disappointing for most Limeños that I've talked to, but for a first timer, it might be a good choice. They offer ingredients from sea level to something like 4000 meters. Astrid and Gaston. Take a pass. Overated, and Maido. Maido is my hands down choice. We've recommended chefts to go there and they are blown away. La Lucha.. good, but nothing special. Pachita, good too, but a little touristy and I think you were trying to avoid that. I don´t know Mercado 28, but have heard good things.

Downtown? Look, there is a place right across the street from the Congress, on the second floor. The doorway is right on Abancay Av. but it is tough to spot. Closed on Sundays I think. Traditional food from the north of Peru. Try the Arroz con Pato, or the Cabrito (depending on the day). https://www.facebook.com/ElPaisanoFerrenafano/ The restaurant has two sections, but sit towards the street for a nice view of the Congress.

If you want to try Chifa, which is the Peruvian version of Chinese food, try the Salon Capon on Jiron Parruro 819, in China Town. Sit upstairs, not downstairs.

Fianally, I am not a fan of the food, but it is a really cool place to eat: L'Eau Vive (Ucayali 370). It's run by an order of French nuns.

Btw, downtown is good for lunch, not for supper.
uday029

Postby uday029 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Awesome. Thanks Alan. Any recommendations for good Peruvian buffet restaurants that are in or near Miraflores? Thanks.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Marriot Hotel and the Brujas de Cachiche. Both in upper price range.
PRL.1206

Postby PRL.1206 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 pm

My favorite place is Tanta in San Isidro.

Good food for an affordable price. Good service and I love to visit it after a shopping at Avenida de los Conquistadores.
schrocks1989

Postby schrocks1989 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Siete Soaps...(Seven soups).
Good food consistently and reasonably priced...friendly and helpful staff too!
schrocks1989

Postby schrocks1989 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:02 pm

schrocks1989 wrote:Siete Soapas...(Seven soups).
Good food consistently and reasonably priced...friendly and helpful staff too!

Also,they are currently building another bigger Siete Soapas at Angamos and the Expressway...looking forward to going there....

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register