SERPOST CHARGES

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

SERPOST CHARGES

Postby Wiracocha » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:12 pm

G'day all,
I am just wondering why Serpost charges so much for international mail.
I just posted 10 Christmas cards(small & light) to folks back home in Australia.
Crikey !! What an experience.
Firstly, the lady inspected all contents of each one and weighed..can handle that precaution and procedure...but S/11.80 postage for each one for economy airmail.
Given that it is a government body, not private enterprise, why charge so much.

Fortunately, Christmas is but once a year.
Cheers,
W.

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SERPOST CHARGES

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Hello Wira,

I use to send 1 or 2 package per month by serpost and always check prices before shipping. It is a good option Having a good precise digital scale (20 kg) at home, because for each 0.5kg the price is increased.

Check the website under the menu "tarifas" and then "calculo de tarifas" Take into consideration that EMS is the best and faster service, but also the most expensive

http://www.serpost.com.pe/calculaRC2/calculador.jsp
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 pm

I checked and see that to send from Australia to Peru it costs Aus$3, or around S./7.30, so that is a pretty big difference with S./11.80 in the other direction. My best bet is that it is a question of critical mass of letters that the mail service sends here. Not very many people seem to use the postal system, so the cost per send works out to be much higher.

Also, state run enterprises are not very efficient here either, so that probably plays in, too. It turns into a vicious circle. Anyway, pure speculation, but both reasons seem to make sense.

What surprised me a little bit last time I had to mail internationally was how Serpost also asks for picture ID in order to accept the letter. I suppose that is because of the fear that drugs or fake bills will be mailed.

Great question, btw!
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:24 pm

We usually send in the region of twenty cards a year, so we send them to one of the family at a cost of about 30-40 soles and they forward them on. Also I have noticed a larger package seems to arrive a week or so quicker. Just 2 pennies worth.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:17 am

Perhaps the cards were send via the EMS service (https://www.ems.post/en/about-us-contacts/about-us) that Serpost also uses. We use EMS all the time. It is expensive but we have never had problems with sending through Serpost EMS.
The reason the prices are high is because the Serpost cost include the EMS charges which are converted from EUR.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 am

G'day Flying Dutchman,

Don't think it was EMS, as I opted for Economica avion rate, after I was given a choice. Express was something like S/20.00 per card....that was probably EMS.
Sending has not been an issue for me, except for the bloody prices !!

Receiving is another story....received a letter from a mate of mine in the USA last weekend..Saty 10th.
It had been in the local post office since they received it on Nov 2.
The letter took only 7 days to arrive from the US to Comas....and then sat there for more than a week.
Same happens with all my Ebay purchases.

Oh well, it is Peru....so no big complaint.

Cheers,
W
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:07 pm

Hold on. I think changes are under way. Ordered an item from Australia with a projected delivery on three weeks (Ha Ha) Lo and behold the package tracked as landed in Peru and passed to La Victoria in seven days. I expected a further month in the Vic. sorting office. I was wrong, parcel delivered by a nicely dress man and shiny new Serpost van three days after arrival. The package had been inspected and repacked. Total time taken ten days. The driver refused a tip on the pain of death. I was amazed.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:39 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:Hold on. I think changes are under way. Ordered an item from Australia with a projected delivery on three weeks (Ha Ha) Lo and behold the package tracked as landed in Peru and passed to La Victoria in seven days. I expected a further month in the Vic. sorting office. I was wrong, parcel delivered by a nicely dress man and shiny new Serpost van three days after arrival. The package had been inspected and repacked. Total time taken ten days. The driver refused a tip on the pain of death. I was amazed.

I had that experience a few years ago and rejoiced, oh boy, almost first world!!! Never happened since. Moral.......Don't count yer chickens.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register