Modifying my US cell phone

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Modifying my US cell phone

Postby woodchuck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I received an expensive LG cell phone from the US as a Christmas present.
Went to all the carriers here in Huaral (Claro, Movistar, B-Tel) & they all told me I could not just swap out the chip, I had to completely gut the whole insides & start new (expensive).
What has your experiences been with US cell phones?
Would these businesses LIE to a gringo???


Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:51 pm

woodchuck wrote:I received an expensive LG cell phone from the US as a Christmas present.
Went to all the carriers here in Huaral (Claro, Movistar, B-Tel) & they all told me I could not just swap out the chip, I had to completely gut the whole insides & start new (expensive).
What has your experiences been with US cell phones?
Would these businesses LIE to a gringo???


If they told you this then I'm assuming it's locked to a
U.S. carrier.
I'm also assuming this cell phone is a smartphone.
If so then you could use it as a WiFi phone by downloading phone apps.
You wouldn't have a phone plan with a carrier but you would be able to make free VOIP calls as long as you have an internet connection.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1474
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: "Miraflores State of Mind"

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm

why not get it unlocked?
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Alpineprince wrote:why not get it unlocked?


Depends on the carrier. Some won't unlock it unless you have service with them for a certain amount of time. Would be useless for him being in Peru not to mention throwing money away.

AT&T is more lenient with their phones.
They'll send you an unlock code if you're a new customer.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby MarcoPE » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 pm

woodchuck wrote:I received an expensive LG cell phone from the US as a Christmas present.
Went to all the carriers here in Huaral (Claro, Movistar, B-Tel) & they all told me I could not just swap out the chip, I had to completely gut the whole insides & start new (expensive).
What has your experiences been with US cell phones?
Would these businesses LIE to a gringo???


Maybe, maybe not. Where did your person receive the telephone from? Was it a phone purchased from somewhere like Simple Mobile or Smart Talk or one of the many pay-as-you-go providers? If so, its probably locked. My guess is maybe it is a CDMA phone (Verizon and Sprint use this technology) and not GMS (AT&T, T-Mobile use this technology). If they gifted you a CDMA phone, it wont work here no matter what you do (aside from changing the whole insides) unless it ALSO has GSM capabilities.

If it's CDMA, I feel for ya....
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby woodchuck » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:39 am

This cell phone gift was due to a yearly UPGRADE by my US friend; he has a service provided.
I don't know much about cell phone so I will try to have it unlocked - if this is the issue.
The sales reps that examined the phone were amazed by all the extra features.
Why do phone companies make things so difficult - especially each company has its own charging plug that is rarely compatible with other (so the consumer ends up with a drawer full of charging plugs!).
Thanks for the help.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:35 am

woodchuck wrote:This cell phone gift was due to a yearly UPGRADE by my US friend; he has a service provided.
I don't know much about cell phone so I will try to have it unlocked - if this is the issue.
The sales reps that examined the phone were amazed by all the extra features.
Why do phone companies make things so difficult - especially each company has its own charging plug that is rarely compatible with other (so the consumer ends up with a drawer full of charging plugs!).
Thanks for the help.


When you first turn it on, does it flash the carrier name
i.e. Verizon or AT&T or something else?
That won't necessarily tell you that it's locked but it would offer a clue as to if it's GSM or CDMA.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby woodchuck » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:25 pm

We talked to the expert that installed our satellite dish in Huaral.
He examined the cell phone & told us it could be done w/o any issues.
The sales people just wanted us to buy one of their phones.
Be careful out there!
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm

woodchuck wrote:We talked to the expert that installed our satellite dish in Huaral.
He examined the cell phone & told us it could be done w/o any issues.
The sales people just wanted us to buy one of their phones.
Be careful out there!

G' day
Good to know, Dish installation dudes are cell phone expert.
Cheers!!!
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 pm

woodchuck wrote:We talked to the expert that installed our satellite dish in Huaral.
He examined the cell phone & told us it could be done w/o any issues.
The sales people just wanted us to buy one of their phones.
Be careful out there!


What's really amazing is that after the sales reps were amazed at all the extra features that your phone had that they had the nerve to try to sell you one of theirs.
Baby, I'm amazed.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Modifying my US cell phone

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 am

Formidable 1 wrote:
woodchuck wrote:We talked to the expert that installed our satellite dish in Huaral.
He examined the cell phone & told us it could be done w/o any issues.
The sales people just wanted us to buy one of their phones.
Be careful out there!


What's really amazing is that after the sales reps were amazed at all the extra features that your phone had that they had the nerve to try to sell you one of theirs.
Baby, I'm amazed.

I think that is called "bloatware".

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register