Testing water quality from tanks

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Testing water quality from tanks

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have a lead on how to get water tested from your tap, and from the water tank in an apartment building. We have noticed a lot of bacteria and sediment build-up on the walls of the tanks (basement and rooftop) and wonder how this might impact water quality. Also, if we do choose to act, is it better to tile or to apply special paint to the inside walls of the tanks.

Any labs to recommend? Personal experience to share?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Testing water quality from tanks

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Don't know who they use but the junta de properterios has a company that comes in once a year to clean the tank on top of the building. I assumed all buildings did this?
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Ya gotta consider where the water is coming from. The water tank is the :shock least of your worries. :shock:
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:55 pm

jumpinjack wrote:Ya gotta consider where the water is coming from. The water tank is the least of your worries. :shock:
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Alpineprince wrote:Don't know who they use but the junta de properterios has a company that comes in once a year to clean the tank on top of the building. I assumed all buildings did this?

Same thing here, we have it cleaned every year, but you wouldn´t believe the crap that grows on the walls in the interval. Our building is old, so the inside of the tank is has become a bit of a porous breeding ground. It's concentrated in the lower corners, so I wonder how much of a stew we are being served whenever the tank runs low.

water tank.jpg
water tank.jpg (266.02 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 pm

jumpinjack wrote:Ya gotta consider where the water is coming from. The water tank is the :shock least of your worries. :shock:

That might be true, and this would be a good oportunity to test this too. SEDAPAL isn´t a shining example of efficiency, as the recent sewage problems en San Juan de Lurigancho show.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:38 am

Hi Alan,

As you know I've been out of Peru for a long time. But I am a water engineer.

For testing for bacteria you need a coliform test (ideally both for total and fecal coliform bacteria). Coliformd are an indicator of likely fecal and general bacteriological contamination. There are general guidelines on what is acceptable number of coliforms coming out of potable water taps.

The water company SEDEPAL will have testing kits but I'm not sure if they will help for a domestic tank. Likely you will need to look at getting the service of a laboratory or perhaps a water supply NGO who could use their kit to test your water for a donation to their NGO perhaps.

Found this looking for this sort of service: https://omegaperu.com.pe/servicios/

This is the sort of kit they would need to use:
https://omegaperu.com.pe/producto/labor ... mo-humano/ It would be too expensive to buy yourself.

This is the main test for whether water is potable or not. If water is chlorinated adequately and not getting comtaminated with organic material before it gets to your tank you should have little to worry about (other than the taste of chlorine). Chlorine testing kits are much cheaper but retail ones I've used in the past in the UK have been a bit hit and miss. If you get a coliform test ask for a residual chlorine test for the water in your tank and going into the tank. Chlorine should also stop green stuff growing on the walls too which why it is used for swimming pools. You might want to redo the chlorine test after thoroughly cleaning out the tank as any muck in it will tend to absorb the chlorine.

Another test is a turbidity test which might tell you if the water has sediment even before getting to your tank.

Tom
Tom
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:09 am

Hello Alan,

It seem to be a problem with the material that cover the inside walls of the Tank. It is better to talk with the expert. i live in my private house with ROTOPLAST plastic tank, and no problems

Even though I have no technicians to recommend you, a good starting point is calling to some of the experts in the area and see what they recommend you. The more you call the more you get a better solution.

https://www.olx.com.pe/nf/search/limpieza%20tanque
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Cool. Thanks very much to both of you for the recommendations. Apparently the Universidad Agraria also provides the testing service.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register