EARTHQUAKE SURVIVAL KIT

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

EARTHQUAKE SURVIVAL KIT

Postby Wiracocha » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:36 pm

G'day all,

Could someone please give me a list of vital things/products, to include in an overnight bag, to act as a short term survival kit for my wife & I ?....in case of home evaculation due to a major shake?
Being an ol' Boy Scout from years past...Be Prepared ! ...comes to mind.
Thanks in advance,
W

gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: EARTHQUAKE SURVIVAL KIT

Postby gerard » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:20 am

Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 am

G'day Gerard,

Thanks for that info. I have had a look at both and seems pretty logical what they say. I will keep that in mind if some others don't give me the benefit of their preparation(s) list(s).
Talking to my wife's Peruvian family, it seems like not many people worry about this preparation...which, after all my current and earlier experiences here in Lima/Peru, it is apparent many people would leave things to the last minute, then find themselves in deep poo.
Don't really have earthquakes,as such, back home in Aussie... so the idea of a major quake here scares me a bit.

Thanks again,
W.
Retired Aussie in Peru.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Hello Wira,

During March 2017 There was an Emergency in Lima because of lack of water. It due to the flooding of all the rivers in the Country. it affected all the coast and highland from Lima to Tumbes . It was a unique episode in the History of this Country , but could repeat again due to the Climate Change

One think that you might consider to have at home in Lima is bottled water (specially during the Summer Time) and an additional 500-1000 Liters Water Reservoir (if you have available room for it)
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks Windy,

Sounds logical. We, the missus & I, live in a rental apartment, ground floor, so a huge tank is not an option...we are on direct connection....but a couple of large San Mateo's would be good.
However, we did buy a rather large plastic bin type container, size of a big round rubbish bin ( ?litres), for back-up if the water is cut for a day or so.
Across the park from us, in the mountain side, is a huge,concrete Sedapal water reservoir.....that should be okay...hopefully.Well, on the other hand, if an earthquake shattered that structure...many houses would be flooded. :cry:
I suppose I should also keep a couple of 6 packs of beer in reserve also..huh?! You can take the man out of Aussie, but you can't take the Aussie out of the man. ha ha. :D

I appreciate people's comments.
Cheers,
Wira
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Wiracocha wrote:Thanks Windy,

Sounds logical. We, the missus & I, live in a rental apartment, ground floor, so a huge tank is not an option...we are on direct connection....but a couple of large San Mateo's would be good.
However, we did buy a rather large plastic bin type container, size of a big round rubbish bin ( ?litres), for back-up if the water is cut for a day or so.
Across the park from us, in the mountain side, is a huge,concrete Sedapal water reservoir.....that should be okay...hopefully.Well, on the other hand, if an earthquake shattered that structure...many houses would be flooded. :cry:
I suppose I should also keep a couple of 6 packs of beer in reserve also..huh?! You can take the man out of Aussie, but you can't take the Aussie out of the man. ha ha. :D

Cheers,
Wira

G'day
You 2 are some smart dudes. Too few worry about earth quakes and global warming. (wonder why?) I commend the two of you for your worrisome beliefs.
God Bless
Cheers
G'Day
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Wiracocha wrote: I suppose I should also keep a couple of 6 packs of beer in reserve also..huh?! You can take the man out of Aussie, but you can't take the Aussie out of the man. ha ha. :D

Now, a couple of beers are into my survival kit , just in case :D
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Wiracocha wrote:Thanks Windy,

Cheers,
Wira

Ground floor? Ufff. Buildings in Peru are highly susceptible to collapsing, floor upon floor. I would reinforce my ceiling beams.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:32 am

I figure that most of our homes will not collapse and most people will not have to evacuate for more than a few hours. That's not to say that the evacuation kit isn't necessary... better safe than sorry. But, given the reality of a city rocked by a quake, with tens of thousands of people trapped or killed, there are a few other things we might consider setting aside.

Work gloves. You may have to move rubble.
Face mask. There will be a lot of dust and other crap in the air.
Crowbar. You may have to pry open jammed doors, or move large rocks or beams.
A length of hose. You may have to syphon water from one tank to another.
A bottle of bleach. You may need to purify water.
Plastic sheeting, rope, and duct tape. You may need to set up a temporary shelter, or cover up shattered windows.

You can buy all of the above for around 100 soles. They don't go into your emergency pack, but set them aside in a closet.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the various advice, troops. :D

As per my original request, could someone with experience please make a list of what is wise to have in an overnight bag, for quick escape? Water etc etc.

Cheers,
W
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:22 pm

Wiracocha wrote:Thanks for all the various advice, troops. :D

As per my original request, could someone with experience please make a list of what is wise to have in an overnight bag, for quick escape? Water etc etc.

Cheers,
W

Hi. I don't have personal experience, but based on some research, the 72-hour bag should include:

Cereal bar
Candles
Plastic bags
Copy of house and car keys
Thin blanket
Copies of personal documents
Chocolates
First aid kit
Bottle of water
Flashlight
Change of clothes
Alcohol gel (hand cleaner)

[img]
mochila.jpg
[/img]

As mentioned earlier, there is another list presented here: https://elcomercio.pe/lima/sucesos/inte ... cia-415529

Unfortunately, none of the videos and slideshows on the Civil Defence (INDECI) page load!
Attachments
mochila.jpg
mochila.jpg (66.83 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 pm

Thank you, Al-Pal. !! :D
W

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register