New Immigration Law

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
donadpree

New Immigration Law

Postby donadpree » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 am

Does anyone have up to date information on the enforcement of the immigration law.

We are planning to rent an apartment and stay in Lima for one year. During that time we expect to make 3 trips back and forth to the United States.

What may happen to us at Jorge Chavez?
What is the exact daily fine for overstaying the visa?
What if we do not leave the country until the end of the year. Will we be prevented from leaving until paying the overstaying visa fine?

Thank you.

asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Immigration Law

Postby asgp » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:15 pm

donadpree wrote:Does anyone have up to date information on the enforcement of the immigration law.

We are planning to rent an apartment and stay in Lima for one year. During that time we expect to make 3 trips back and forth to the United States.

What if we do not leave the country until the end of the year. Will we be prevented from leaving until paying the overstaying visa fine?

Thank you.

Hi, well the new immigration law is being completely enforced. And the max time you can get as a tourist is 6 months (183 days) in a periof of a year (365 days)... Border hopping is not useful anymore... :o

I HAVE TO ADD:

I've read here that many expats have been border hopping with no problems at all... Is this a luck thing? Who knows?
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:25 pm

asgp wrote:
donadpree wrote:Does anyone have up to date information on the enforcement of the immigration law.

Thank you.

Hi, well the new immigration law is being completely enforced. And the max time you can get as a tourist is 6 months (183 days) in a periof of a year (365 days)... Border hopping is not useful anymore... :o

I HAVE TO ADD:

I've read here that many expats have been border hopping with no problems at all... Is this a luck thing? Who knows?

It's called a propina thing.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Help...Adrian or Allan...I was writing a long answer to this post, saved it to DRAFT, and now don't know how to re-open it to continue.
Advice please.
W
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi Wiracocha,

Click "Reply", then look below the dialogue box for the 4 buttons. Click "Load draft", and you will see what you have saved. Click on the line to load, and voila.

Cheers,
Alan
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi Alan,
I followed your instructions, but below the dialogue box there is only 3 buttons...Save Draft, Preview & Submit.

I know I definitely clicked on Save Draft intially. :-(

W
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Will re-do my post.

G'day Donadpree,

I have quite some experience with Migraciones, after many months to get my carnet and their laws, not all of which are apparent until you run up against them(the laws).

Firstly, somewhere back on this site, 2018,there were postings about Americans being limited to 90 days only for tourist visas.....don't know if that is the case or not...anyone else clarify that for this person, please?

Now, if that is not the case, the maximum number of days for a tourist visa is 183 days in any 365 day period...not just a calendar year.
The number of days are calculated from your first visit to Peru, so assuming this is your first visit, then I suggest that you put "visiting friends & relatives" on your immigration card, before you go thru Immigration at the airport.That may help you get the 183 days.
With that marked in the entry stamp in your passport, you may leave and return until the 183 days are used up.

If you stay longer than the 183 days, for example, you stay for the year as you mentioned in your post, then you WILL have to pay a multa(fine) at the airport before you are permitted to leave.

Some people still try "border hopping" to extend their tourist visa...but that's not really safe to do, because it all depends on how alert/diligent the immig' officer is at the airport. You could more than likely find yourself barred from entry.

The rate is US$1.00 per day of overstay. So that's about $180 for your extra 6 months .
I don't know if you can pay in dollars at the airport, or IF it has to be in Soles equivalent.You would need to have the correct amount....getting change could be an issue.

After that, I think that you are are permitted to return to Peru after 6 months...but that needs to be confirmed...could be a year now??!!

Once you have overstayed your 183 day visa, you are classified as illegal, and, if discovered by some random check, you will be forced to leave the country within a few days.

You might like to consider a working visa, IF you could work here.There is info on this, and others, on Migraciones web site.

Hope this helps...any other queries, please ask.

Cheers,
W

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register