Does Peru store you entry and exit details on computer?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
alchemizt

Does Peru store you entry and exit details on computer?

Postby alchemizt » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 pm

I have a situation where a battery in my backpack caught fire and by the time I noticed, everything in the bag was incinerated, including my passport. What makes this situation tricky is I've already overstayed my visa by a week so Im trying to avoid being forced to leave the country.

What Im wondering though is will migracion know how long Ive been in Peru? I read that Bolivia doesnt use a computer system to record entry and exit dates so they would have no way of knowing how long Id been in the country. What about Peru? If I told them Ive only been in Peru 2 weeks will they be able to look that up in the computer and see Ive actually been in Peru 3 months?

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Does Peru store you entry and exit details on computer?

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Your entry date is online. They scan your passport upon arrival.

I have never heard of anyone forced to leave the country unless they have committed a crime.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 am

Alan wrote:Your entry date is online. They scan your passport upon arrival.

I have never heard of anyone forced to leave the country unless they have committed a crime.

By not complying with a law, in this case immigration law, is that not committing a crime?
Just saying.
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:09 pm

@Alchemizt....Once you have exceeded your tourist visa days, you are technically illegal. If you are detected at any check point and Migraciones are informed, they will give you 15 days to leave the country normally.It can vary.

Now, not having your passport as a means of indentification is another issue....I am unable to offer advice about that, except to say people would normally have to approach their Embassy for an urgent replacement passport, which can be rather costly.
If you continue to overstay your tourist visa, the immigration at the airport will issue you with a multa @S/4.15 per day of overstay, which you will have to pay before moving on.

Good luck,

W

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register