Unaccompanied minors traveling

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
marciafaby

Unaccompanied minors traveling

Postby marciafaby » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:35 pm

I have my son who is going to visit family in Lima, Peru. He is a US citizen that is 11 years old and will be traveling alone and received by family. He will stay only 6 weeks which is within his allowable tourist VISA limits. He will then fly back alone after his visit. The immigration website says residents that are minors must have a notarized traveling authorization from both parents to leave the county. Since he is not a resident and will only be there a few weeks on a VISA, does anyone know if this will be any issue or has anyone done anything similar. I appreciate your advise.

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Unaccompanied minors traveling

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:41 pm

marciafaby wrote:I have my son who is going to visit family in Lima, Peru. He is a US citizen that is 11 years old and will be traveling alone and received by family. He will stay only 6 weeks which is within his allowable tourist VISA limits. He will then fly back alone after his visit. The immigration website says residents that are minors must have a notarized traveling authorization from both parents to leave the county. Since he is not a resident and will only be there a few weeks on a VISA, does anyone know if this will be any issue or has anyone done anything similar. I appreciate your advise.

Seems pretty cut and dried to me. What part of do you not understand?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Also check the unaccompanied minor policy of your airline as it normally requires a direct flight?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:55 am

Alpineprince wrote:Also check the unaccompanied minor policy of your airline as it normally requires a direct flight?

The OP didn't say anything about it not being a direct flight.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:28 pm

marciafaby wrote:I have my son who is going to visit family in Lima, Peru. He is a US citizen that is 11 years old and will be traveling alone and received by family. He will stay only 6 weeks which is within his allowable tourist VISA limits. He will then fly back alone after his visit. The immigration website says residents that are minors must have a notarized traveling authorization from both parents to leave the county. Since he is not a resident and will only be there a few weeks on a VISA, does anyone know if this will be any issue or has anyone done anything similar. I appreciate your advise.

It is a good question. His migratory record will prove that he lives abroad and has come for a visit (as opposed to a Pervian bi-national resident who can flash an American passport).

What about on the US side? Don't they require a notarized permission form for the child to leave the country? If so, just make an extra few copies.

If you learn more about this, please share.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register