Divorce for US Expats

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Divorce for US Expats

Postby DC_20833 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:14 am

I have been seeing this question come up as a US Lawyer I thought I would answer it. In the U.S., marriage, and divorce are generally considered matters reserved to the states rather than to the federal government. There is no treaty between the United States and any country that pertains to the enforcement of judgments, including the recognition of foreign divorces.

You should consult a family lawyer in the state where you plan to reside in the US. Debts usually remain the responsibility of both parties even after the divorce. You should negotiate payment of debts as part of the divorce. Remember the Debt negotiation you workout with your spouse will not be recognized by the debt holder unless pre-arranged.

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Divorce for US Expats

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:30 am

DC_20833 wrote:I have been seeing this question come up as a US Lawyer I thought I would answer it. In the U.S., marriage, and divorce are generally considered matters reserved to the states rather than to the federal government. There is no treaty between the United States and any country that pertains to the enforcement of judgments, including the recognition of foreign divorces.

You should consult a family lawyer in the state where you plan to reside in the US. Debts usually remain the responsibility of both parties even after the divorce. You should negotiate payment of debts as part of the divorce. Remember the Debt negotiation you workout with your spouse will not be recognized by the debt holder unless pre-arranged.

So, it is your interpretation, a divorce in America will not be recognized in Peru and a divorce in Peru will not be recognized in America?
Call me confused.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register