I want to marry my Peruvian gf and have her live with me in the UK

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
andrew.davis

I want to marry my Peruvian gf and have her live with me in the UK

Postby andrew.davis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi
I don’t know if anyone can help me, but would appreciate any guidance and assurance.
After 12 years of friendship online and very frequent contact, I fell in love with my best friend. I visited her for a few weeks in 2013 and we had a short holiday romance or whatever you want to call it. This only made our friendship stronger and finally this year in March, we arrange to meet in Spain for a few weeks. From the very first day, we fell in love like I can’t explain. We know everything about each other, our families and our ways of thinking. I am in Peru now for a few weeks and I’ve met her family in Lima, Trujillo and Tarapoto.

Her family have given me their blessing and we want to get married. We want her to be able to live with me in England.
We don’t want to be dishonest with the embassy, as our relationship and love for each other is beyond words.
But I’m seeing and hearing people say that we should apply for a tourist visa first. So now we are in the process of putting together an application for a tourist visa.

Assuming this is the best thing to do, she will come over for 6 months. We don’t want to be away from each other, as there’s so many things we want to do together. She really helps me with my business and is an amazing life coach for me.. all this as well as being the woman of my dreams. She often praises me for doing things for her too.

I would really appreciate any advice or information, as it’s worrying is both a lot, not knowing how hard this is going to be and how much time we will be separated.

Thank you

Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I want to marry my Peruvian gf and have her live with me in the UK

Postby Formidable 1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Any chance you could live and conduct your business in Peru?
That would simplify matters.
andrew.davis

Postby andrew.davis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Formidable 1 wrote:Any chance you could live and conduct your business in Peru?
That would simplify matters.

No, I need to be with my business and children, otherwise I would happily live in Peru.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am

Why not get married in Peru and then apply for a spouse visa? Nothing stopping you have another service in the UK if you are so inclined.
andrew.davis

Postby andrew.davis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 am

gerard wrote:Why not get married in Peru and then apply for a spouse visa? Nothing stopping you have another service in the UK if you are so inclined.

Are you familiar with this process? Everyone has told me that she needs to have a tourist visa first, so that she can say she’s been in the UK before. The fact is, as I explained that’s now we met.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am

I was fortunate enough to get married in the days when you just went to see the consul and chatted for 15 minutes, well before all the current regulations came in.

If you have concerns about a tourist visa, you could consider enrolling your gf onto a language course in the UK and apply for a student visa. I'm not sure what happens either way if you get married whilst on a temporary visa.
andrew.davis

Postby andrew.davis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 pm

gerard wrote:I was fortunate enough to get married in the days when you just went to see the consul and chatted for 15 minutes, well before all the current regulations came in.

If you have concerns about a tourist visa, you could consider enrolling your gf onto a language course in the UK and apply for a student visa. I'm not sure what happens either way if you get married whilst on a temporary visa.

Her English is virtually fluent, but she still wants to study when she’s in the UK. Im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the current laws and regulations, to shed some light on our future expectations.
andrew.davis

Postby andrew.davis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08 am

Since my original post the other day, we have got engaged. I proposed to her last night and she accepted.
We are proceeding with the tourist visa, but still would appreciate any help from someone that has been in this position. Thanks
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wiracocha » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:08 pm

G'day Andrew,

It seems to me the logical thing to do could be that you should get married soon and then for her to apply to the British Embassy for a "spouse visa"to go over to live with you in the UK.
That could take some time, if it's anything like it was for my Peruvian wife in 2006 through the Australian Embassy system. There are quite a few requirements, so the sooner you and her investigate that aspect, the sooner you can achieve your wishes.
Oh, after 11 years in Aussie, we have now returned to Peru to live...it's my turn away from my country. :-)
Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers,
W
Retired Aussie in Lima.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register