Cost of living in the Cusco area

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
filmsmurf

Cost of living in the Cusco area

Postby filmsmurf » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Post #3 - Cost of living: If you're not in Cusco, reply with the details of your area.

Assuming we will buy a home outright so have no rent, what are the averages of costs?

1. Food if you buy at the grocery or markets and cook at home 90% of the time -
2. Utilities - We will use a gas heater, so we know we will spend about 150sol on gas. What about water and electric?
3. Internet - we will likely buy the fastest available. 8mbs? Is there faster?
4. If we have a car it will be purely for moving goods from market to home. How much is fuel?
5. Taxes on a home?
6. What else is there?

Thanks again all

Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cost of living in the Cusco area

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:59 pm

You don't really need a car.
Considering gas and maintenance, that would be a big savings.

Cooking at home will save money but there's always menus/chifas if you want to take a break from it and they are cheap.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Have you been to any of the super markets? Yeah they are big but they have very little an American would like. What we do like is usually expensive.
Ya want a steak? No comprende.
Ya want milk? It is this stuff in a quart size box that's NOT refrigerated. You toss it in the refer and wait until it is cold, tastes like crap.
Corn tortillas nope. Corn on the cob? Nope and can't be tricked, they have this stuff that they call corn and looks like corn on the cob actually they call it 'choclo' again horrible
A can of chili, nope. Corn bread? Nope
Most everything we like is "Nope".
I was like you "Oh I can cook it". Nope!!!!!
They have great big ol' fat chicken here (how they got that way I will leave to your imagination) they are tasty! Any chicken joint you wanna go to, they are all very tasty.
So I survive on Big Macs and Whoppers and the occasional chicken joint. Oh, and pizza.
A great thing here, they deliver Big Macs, Whoppers and pizza to your door.
Forgot to mention there are a lot of Chinese joints, generally pretty good but be careful.
onetakenatep

Postby onetakenatep » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm

The rent for a middle-tier quality apartment is cheaper in Cusco than Lima. If you are not sure about some of the things you've listed, maybe you should try and rent there for a little bit to test the waters and see if it works. Seems like kind of a big jump to purchase a place in Cusco without living there to see some of the costs/problems you may incur first hand.

I found the local common markets in Cusco to be cheaper and better than in most of Lima, especially the basics like chicken/eggs, and fresh fruits and vegetables. The fruit selection in Cusco is really amazing. More niche products grown in the Sierra like Chia seeds and Quinoa are also absurdly cheap. Cuy also :D

Outside of the plazaVea that's there, the local supermarkets are pretty lacking in Cusco compared to Lima, which is obviously understandable considering it's relative isolation. There's not a ton of selection and prices for some imported goods are even more expensive than in Lima.

Restaurants are generally cheaper, but often the quality or diversity of options that you'd find in Lima is lacking in Cusco. Notably as it's inland, outside of relatively good priced and quality trout, the seafood in Cusco is more expensive for the quality you receive.

I don't remember the kWh rate exactly but electricity seemed more expensive than in Lima. Having a gas heater would be a big cost savings I think.

Just my opinion here, but overall I'd say that cost of living is cheaper in Cusco than Lima with the biggest savings coming from cheaper rent and grocery shopping at the local markets. This comes with major caveats for sure, it could easily be more expensive depending on your lifestyle.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:03 am

You mention 'local common markets' and chicken in particular. Are they like the open air markets found elsewhere in Peru? The chicken is usually hung on a hook out in the open, obviously not refrigerated, open to all passing vermin and insects. You are suggesting this is better chicken? Better than what? Yeah certainly cheap but cheap is not always better.
onetakenatep

Postby onetakenatep » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Better than the sterile, chemical tasting chicken you can buy at any big supermarket chain here in Peru. Maybe you're used to that taste where ever you are from, but I'm from a rural area in the U.S and for most of my life have eaten chicken purchased wholesale direct from farms/butchers without the middle men at the corporate processing plants.

More or less the same organization and layout as most common markets in Peru, but a bit more touristy because it's Cusco. The markets I most frequented in Cusco were San Pedro and Wanchaq. I buy the "hook" chicken complete and personally clean them at home thoroughly immediately and then freeze what I don't immediately use. I've never got sick from market chicken in my time in Cusco nor Peru in general. Only from eating at supposedly good restaurants.

I'm under no illusions about what some of the quality standards are at the markets here in Peru, but I think you may be overstating how much flies affect chicken here in particular and outside of clickbait video news from horror show markets I've never seen rats just crawling around the place during open hours LOL. The chicken is fresh and usually brought the same day since they don't freeze them. Rats and ridiculously lacking quality standards are more of a concern in restaurants in my opinion, which I've seen plenty of and why I cook from home more than eat out in Peru. Just have some smarts about the vendors you are purchasing from and which get the most customers, there are no shortage of vendors to choose from in any market.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:12 pm

jumpinjack wrote: So I survive on Big Macs and Whoppers and the occasional chicken joint. Oh, and pizza ...

:o jumpin, Peru has one of the best collection of food of the World: Quinoa, Kiwicha, Big Tasty Corn, wonderful potatos, camotes, healthy organic meat, big variety of beans, organic sugar, an astonishing amount of fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh fish, and the list goes on and on ...

OMG, but you chose to eat all that crappy food !
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:19 am

Once again, sorry I offend thee. Maybe you should loosen up a bit and not be so uptight and try something new.
Of course we will have different taste, we grew up on different sides of the fence. Doesn't mean my side or your side is better, I am only trying to relate to a fellow American, from the same side of the fence, what to expect. Maybe you should try and inform him, I already have my information.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:42 am

You are not offending, Jumpin... On the contrary, it is a good for me, to try to understand your point of view.

IMHO, that kind of food is considered crappy in both sides of the "fence", but, we are free to eat whatever we want, indeed...
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 am

Just check the stock market you will find the stocks are no where near crappy, they are gold. You can find that food all over the world. Can you say the same of food from your side of the fence?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am

Jumpin, on my side, the conversation with you is far away from being offensive, on the contrary it is nice and welcome

In my humble opinion, long term eating Mc-Donalds and Pizzas creates undernourishment , high level of cholesterol, etc.

I use to eat Pizzas and thing you use to eat, but only a few times a year, I really prefer eating fresh fish + chicha morada + frejoles, etc.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:21 am

Well stay with your opinions, I stay with facts and I do not suffer from any afflictions you name.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register