How can I get my package?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

How can I get my package?

Postby woodchuck » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am

A friend from the US sent me a package using USPS of CBD oil (legal in Peru) & TUMS (not available in Peru).
Customs now has the package (see below), but they provide no info (or phone #) how to pick up the package.
Hoping someone can provide advice on how to proceed; what is "LIMA COLIS"?
A friend here in Huaral told me customs will eventually send the package to Serpost in Huaral?
Never have been in this situation before, so I am skeptical of this advice.
Wanting my stuff!
Thanks in advance for your help.

"Your item is being held in Customs at 2:18 pm on August 14, 2019 in LIMA COLIS, PERU."

MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How can I get my package?

Postby MarcoPE » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:47 pm

woodchuck wrote:A friend from the US sent me a package using USPS of CBD oil (legal in Peru) & TUMS (not available in Peru).
Customs now has the package (see below), but they provide no info (or phone #) how to pick up the package.
A friend here in Huaral told me customs will eventually send the package to Serpost in Huaral?
Wanting my stuff!

"Your item is being held in Customs at 2:18 pm on August 14, 2019 in LIMA COLIS, PERU."

Relax. It's just being processed. It has only been 3 days; I have had standard packages arrive in Lima and be sent to my local post office that have taken well over a month. I've had USPS priority mail packages that typically take 2-4 weeks and USPS express mail packages about a week, of course this is my own personal experience. I'm guessing LIMA COLIS is just the office that your package is being processed through...but your friend is probably correct, unless customs has questions about your shipment in which case they may send you a notice to come to a particular office for inspection.

How are you tracking it? If its 3rd party tracking (17track, etc) you may want to ALSO use Serpost tracking directly or download their app.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Vitamins are legal in Peru too and I have had them confiscated by customs.
Just sayin'
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:27 am

It would appear that USPS - EXPRESS is quicker than USPS - PRIORITY?
I was told the opposite by USPS supervisor.
Does anyone really understand how to get US packages quickly to expats in Peru?
Do expats in other S. American countries experience such delays?
Would a private courier service speed up the process?
Thanks again for your help.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:41 am

woodchuck wrote:A friend from the US sent me a package using USPS of CBD oil (legal in Peru) & TUMS (not available in Peru).
Wanting my stuff!

Your friend is really taking a chance and you. While medical marijuana products are legal in some states it is not leagal in the Feds eyes. Mailing illegal products accross state lines will land him in front of a federal judge if not the slammer.
Why don't you just but the CBD in Peru?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 am

I would love to purchase CBD oil in Peru to avoid the extreme cost & aggravation of having it mailed to Peru.
I have previously posted in expatperu seeking to purchase CBD oil in Peru & had no options suggested.
If anyone has any suggestions, please advise.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 am

So you will ask a friend to risk federal prosecution by mailing contraband across state lines?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:02 am

Maybe you ought to pay someone a few soles to pick it up just to be safe.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 am

This is a "trial run" of a small amount of CBD oil.
Maybe CBD oil will not offer me the benefits for my personal situation.
I doubt the feds would get involved for a 10 day supply of a total of 30 grams.
I am still confused why no Peruvian pharmacies carry legal CBD oil???
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:32 am

woodchuck wrote:This is a "trial run" of a small amount of CBD oil.
Maybe CBD oil will not offer me the benefits for my personal situation.
I doubt the feds would get involved for a 10 day supply of a total of 30 grams.
I am still confused why no Peruvian pharmacies carry legal CBD oil???

Contraband is contraband no matter the size.
Check this page...

https://www.facebook.com/cbdmedicinalperu/
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Update on package containing CBD oil:

1. Finally received mail from customs telling why they are holding my package.
2. Finally had a phone #, but no one answers from 11 am to 3:15 pm (must be taking a long lunch).
3. From the internet find that there could be substantial fees if package is not picked up quickly.
4. Need a full medical history from a Peruvian doctor to submit with the form that was sent.
5. No guarantee I will ever receive my package.

IN SUMMARY, IF CUSTOMS IN PERU IS INVOLVED - FIND ANOTHER WAY TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.
THEY ARE NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE ORIENTATED. THEY COULD CARE LESS IF YOU EVER RECEIVE YOUR PACKAGE.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

woodchuck wrote:Update on package containing CBD oil:

1. Finally received mail from customs telling why they are holding my package.
2. Finally had a phone #, but no one answers from 11 am to 3:15 pm (must be taking a long lunch).
3. From the internet find that there could be substantial fees if package is not picked up quickly.
4. Need a full medical history from a Peruvian doctor to submit with the form that was sent.
5. No guarantee I will ever receive my package.

IN SUMMARY, IF CUSTOMS IN PERU IS INVOLVED - FIND ANOTHER WAY TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.
THEY ARE NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE ORIENTATED. THEY COULD CARE LESS IF YOU EVER RECEIVE YOUR PACKAGE.

This info brings up another thought. Do you have your doctors prescription saying you need it? That may help.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:24 pm

woodchuck wrote:Update on package containing CBD oil:

Customer service? Have you ever experienced positive customer service, in any gov't office, anywhere in the world?
Find another way? Are you talking 'mule' and smuggling it?
carloso

Postby carloso » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:09 pm

jumpinjack wrote:So you will ask a friend to risk federal prosecution by mailing contraband across state lines?

CBD oil is legal in all states and can be mailed across state lines provided its THC content is below a certain percentage and it's hemp-derived, which I believe most medicinal ones are because of that same reason.

Peruvian customs are a royal pain in the ass. Packages take forever and can be held longer at the discretion of customs officers for whatever arbitrary reason. I got lucky, mine was only held a couple of weeks and I was able to pick it up. I had some vitamins in there, which I've heard can be held or not, depending on their judgment. You can also be taxed heavily above a certain dollar amount for the articles you are receiving. One tip I read back then is to mail the receipts together with the products in the box.

MJ laws are pretty new here as I understand. It might be possible for you to argue that the product in question is over the counter and hence needs no prescription, doctor exam or whatever they are asking for. Peruvians just love little pieces of paper. If you are able to point to a law or regulation in the Peruvian code they might relent, but then again they might not just to be buttholes. Still, might be worth trying rather than getting a doctor note, which might be hard if I understand correctly that you are not in Lima. I very much doubt many MDs around here have any knowledge of the medical uses of CBD oil.

Unfortunately, getting things from the US is a sketchy AF process and in many cases not worth it. You could try a courier service next time. If your friends and fam live in a major city, they should be easy to find. Hope you get your stuff bud.
hojoos

Postby hojoos » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm

How are you tracking it? If its 3rd party tracking (17track, etc) you may want to ALSO use Serpost tracking directly or download their app.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 am

Update:

I have gone to several Peruvian doctors & all refuse to sign any paperwork (including writing a prescription) to pick up my CBD package.

This makes no sense as CBD oil is legal in Peru.
I am hoping t find a specialty vitamin shop at a mall & purchase the CBD oil there.
If anyone knows where to purchase CBD oil - please advise - PLEASE!
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:37 am

carloso wrote:
jumpinjack wrote:So you will ask a friend to risk federal prosecution by mailing contraband across state lines?

CBD oil is legal in all states and can be mailed across state lines.

What part of mailing across state lines do you not understand? USA to Peru crosses several international state lines. Seems to be a question of legality in Peru.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 am

woodchuck wrote:Update:

I have gone to several Peruvian doctors & all refuse to sign any paperwork (including writing a prescription) to pick up my CBD package.

This makes no sense as CBD oil is legal in Peru.
I am hoping t find a specialty vitamin shop at a mall & purchase the CBD oil there.
If anyone knows where to purchase CBD oil - please advise - PLEASE!

Did you offer the docs a propina?
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:13 am

They were all established/professional doctors.
I didn't want to insult them with the offer of a "propina" (a monetary tip).
I have already suffered a lot due to customs & costs to ship to Peru; I am cutting my losses.
It appears Peru is making it as difficult as possible for expats to take advantage of the latest medical products that can enhance their lives & aren't readily available in Peru.

SHAME ON YOU - PERU!
PS - will be scoping out the major malls to locate specialty vitamin businesses in the hopes of finding CBD oil
Thanks for all the help!
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:39 am

What about the Tums? Did you get them?
carloso

Postby carloso » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 pm

jumpinjack wrote:
carloso wrote:

CBD oil is legal in all states and can be mailed across state lines.

What part of mailing across state lines do you not understand? USA to Peru crosses several international state lines. Seems to be a question of legality in Peru.

Then it wouldn't be federal prosecution, would it? I guess that's where I got confused. Also:

jumpingjack wrote:Your friend is really taking a chance and you. While medical marijuana products are legal in some states it is not leagal in the Feds eyes. Mailing illegal products accross state lines will land him in front of a federal judge if not the slammer.

No need to get heated, I think it's clear from context that I understood the issue to be US state lines. Also, I think it was previously established that according to recent legislation, CBD products are legal in Peru as well.

Yo, woodchuck, what happened in the end? Got anything?
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:41 pm

Yo carloso, he got nuttin'. Guess it ain't so legal.
carloso

Postby carloso » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:27 pm

That's a damned shame. I did some digging around and found out that some people in Centro are selling what they claim to be CBD oil :roll: :D

Also, here's the executive order making official the medical MJ regulations, published 3 days ago in El Peruano:

https://busquedas.elperuano.pe/normaslegales/decreto-supremo-que-aprueba-el-reglamento-de-la-ley-n-30681-decreto-supremo-n-005-2019-sa-1744045-2/

Maybe show that to aduanas? As a layperson, I don't know for sure, but it is my understanding that once a law is published in the official diary, it is then in effect. No idea if this would help or you still need a medical prescription.

Seems that commercialization is coming and soon, so either way I hope you won't have to go without much longer.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 pm

carloso wrote:That's a damned shame. I did some digging around and found out that some people in Centro are selling what they claim to be CBD oil :roll: :D

Could have been a valid claim.
If you didn't buy and try any, then you don't know.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone.
I didn't get anything (not even the TUMS); I refuse to be treated like a "piece of crap".
I will find some other way to get my CBD oils & not have to kiss anyone's A**.
When will Peru enter the 21st century & allow the new innovations in medicine?
carloso

Postby carloso » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Formidable 1 wrote:
carloso wrote:That's a damned shame. I did some digging around and found out that some people in Centro are selling what they claim to be CBD oil :roll: :D

Could have been a valid claim.
If you didn't buy and try any, then you don't know.

Very fair point. It wouldn't be too surprising, come to think of it. People were growing and producing their own previously, after all. Still, it's a roll of the dice.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register