Dairy in Arequipa

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
filmsmurf

Dairy in Arequipa

Postby filmsmurf » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:37 am

We are hearing that Dairy is practically non-existent. My wife is pretty addicted to her half and half. Are there any reasonable substitutes? I thought about clotted cream because it comes in a jar

Any ideas?

jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dairy in Arequipa

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:40 am

Evaporated milk, get used to it.
filmsmurf

Postby filmsmurf » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:22 am

Thats what I thought. I've seen freeze dried heavy cream. I wonder if you can ship it in?
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:00 pm

BTW coffee, you'd think Peru has the best coffee at democratic prices, I have found that just not to be true, I can only guess it is because most locals just don't drink coffee around these parts and the good stuff gets exported and the stuff in the stores has sat on the shelf for quite a while.
I rarely drink coffe at a restaurant but Nescafe seems to be the most common. It is a concentrated syrupy substance that you add hot water to. It is like drinking instant coffee.
carloso

Postby carloso » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm

People just don't drink enough real coffee for us to have a competitive market. Most people just drink instant coffee, especially in the provinces. In Lima you would have more options, but still, like so many other things, the prices can be equal or greater than they'd be in the US.

I just make do with Cafetal, which you can get at most bodegas (at least in Lima) and a small percolator from Vietnam (phin). A percolator you can get a market, it's called a cafetera. Cafetal is strong and flavorful enough to pass muster and for sure beats instant coffee. Creamer though... that's a tough one. If you find heavy cream, you could mix it with whole milk to make your own.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 pm

As mentioned above, another option is "leche evaporada", which is a liquid, but a reduction of milk. But no, it's not cream.

Not to be confused with "leche en polvo", which is powdered milk.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register