Building with Timber in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
JimboJohn
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Building with Timber in Peru

Postby JimboJohn » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Does anyone know how much it costs to build with timber in Peru? I recently visited a jungle eco-lodge in the Peruvian Amazon (Pucallpa area) and am now curious to identify a cost estimate to buildings in timber. I am working on putting a business plan together for the development of a eco-lodge. So the structures I have in mind are simple Tambo-style lodging.

I have really struggled to find any information online, probably due the fact that when you google 'timber and peru' all the search results are on illegal timber harvesting. Just to be clear, I have zero interest in pricing exotic hardwoods, or using illegal or unsustainable timber :!: At this point I don't even know what is considered sustainable timber in Peru, and if it widely available as a building material or not.

Has anyone built in timber, and if so, what type of timber is available for construction, and how much does it cost?

Any feedback is much appreciated :)


User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:32 pm

I hope someone who lives in Pucallpa could give you a better approach... in the meanwhile, just an introduction:

Here in Lima for timber is used "pino radiata", a low quality wood imported from Chile. it is "eaten" by "polillas" , an small insect who lives inside the wood. It is sold as ready-to-take 2x2 inches, 2x4 inches, etc at places as Sodimac . Even though if we pre-treat that wood with "anti-polilla" a substance to change the taste of the wood, so the insect do not like for "eating", same thing.. at the end it is attacked by this eager-to-eat-wood insect in Lima

In Pucallpa, where wood is abundant, probably the scenario is different. Woods as "tornillo" are naturally insect-resistant and is better quality wood, but more expensive than "pino radiata" (at least in Lima, because we are far away from the Pucallpa)

The place where is sold wood is called "aserradero". Usually the wood at an aserradero has not been cut yet, so they cut the wood accordingly to your requirement... You might make a search with these 2 words aserradero + Pucallpa and get phone numbers of sellers there
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:49 pm

part 2...

As far as I remember, Madera in Perú is sold as pie-cubico (cubic-foot)

It would be recommendable you to ask the seller from Pucallpa, what types of woods are good for building there, where rain + insects are abundants !

Remember that with some tropical woods is only possible to drill and not to nail
Last edited by windsportinperu on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:34 pm

JimboJohn wrote:Does anyone know how much it costs to build with timber in Peru? I recently visited a jungle eco-lodge in the Peruvian Amazon (Pucallpa area) and am now curious to identify a cost estimate to buildings in timber. I am working on putting a business plan together for the development of a eco-lodge. So the structures I have in mind are simple Tambo-style lodging.

I have really struggled to find any information online, probably due the fact that when you google 'timber and peru' all the search results are on illegal timber harvesting. Just to be clear, I have zero interest in pricing exotic hardwoods, or using illegal or unsustainable timber :!: At this point I don't even know what is considered sustainable timber in Peru, and if it widely available as a building material or not.

Has anyone built in timber, and if so, what type of timber is available for construction, and how much does it cost?

Any feedback is much appreciated :)

You might try searching 'wood' or 'lumber' timber is not a word used for building material.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:06 am

P. radiata is a versatile timber; it is widely used for the full range of structural and decorative applications including framing, lining, glue laminated beams, veneer and plywood. When appropriately treated, it can be used for many exposed structural and non- structural applications.
It is the most widely planted pine in the world, valued for rapid growth and desirable lumber and pulp qualities. Its fast growth makes it ideal for landscapes and forestry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1TAFwcuJMz8
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:46 am

We have already used Pino Radiata during the construction of a wooden ceiling , pre-treated with costly "preservante de madera" , didn't work.

The frist 2 or 3 years, everything looks fine. But after more years the beams began to be "picado" by "polilla". Actually after 12 years all the beams are already partially eaten by white worms.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am

windsportinperu wrote:We have already used Pino Radiata during the construction of a wooden ceiling , pre-treated with costly "preservante de madera" , didn't work.

The frist 2 or 3 years, everything looks fine. But after more years the beams began to be "picado" by "polilla". Actually after 12 years all the beams are already partially eaten by white worms.


When appropriately treated. Key word appropriately.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:31 am

No serious worker in the building area, recommend Pino Radiata. They work with Tornillo or Cedro.

The situation gets works, when buying Furniture made of Pino Radiata,
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 am

windsportinperu wrote:No serious worker in the building area, recommend Pino Radiata. They work with Tornillo or Cedro.

The situation gets works, when buying Furniture made of Pino Radiata,


When appropriately treated, there's no reason not to.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 pm

Lima, is in a subtropical region. Those "polillas" as are named everywhere in Peru, are in fact Termites They are very aggressive. During the summer time they fly everywhere and find the minor spot where to live and eat low quality woods. Only tropical hardwoods are free from the plague.

Unfortunately not only Peru suffer from this plague. Spain and Florida, US ... same thing..

https://elpais.com/elpais/2016/10/06/ci ... 15630.html

http://www.noblepagroup.com/2018/04/25/ ... llahassee/
JimboJohn
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby JimboJohn » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback! It's been helpful! I've managed to find a number of aserraderos online.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:30 am

JimboJohn wrote:Thanks for the feedback! It's been helpful! I've managed to find a number of aserraderos online.


You are Welcome !,

If you have any data or experience about your project to share with us, will be welcome
gww1966
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 am

Re: Building with Timber in Peru

Postby gww1966 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:23 am

hi there.a couple of years ago i built various cabins on land in pucallpa.typically a7m x7m cabin raised on wooden supports cost between 4000 to 7000 soles .these were fairly simple but very strong with roofs of fibra forte.The hard wood used was quinilla.it looks similar to caoba but is increadibly strong and water resistant.(used to build bridges)insects dont eat it .it is widely used in pucallpa.on federico basadre you can buy tongue and groove plus all sizes of joists.be very careful on your choice of carpenter .In Pucallpa ,more so going towards san fransisco people are very unreliable and lazy,some are downright dishonest.radiated pine is rubbish.very week and alovely meal for insects.it wont last a year in pucallpa.in lima we tend to use pino americano.very strond and full of resin .woodworm dont like it.they sell it in sodimac .if you are looking for land i am selling 7000m on laguna yarinacocha very near the castle and the beach.including a house built with quinilla .price 50000 soles.absolutely lovely .hope this helps Graham

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register