Traveling to the States with a nanny

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
michaelasher

Traveling to the States with a nanny

Postby michaelasher » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi. As an American citizen married to a Peruvian (with a visa), I have read many things on what I need in order to take our nanny with us on a vacation to the states.
Does anyone have experience with this or work within the Embassy and can find out for me? Or if you can give me a contact, I would be happy to reach out to them.

Thank you so much!

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Traveling to the States with a nanny

Postby gringolandia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 pm

You'll need to prove that you have had the nanny working for your family for the last year. Receipts are ideal.

You'll also need to sign an agreement with the nanny saying that she'll be paid at least the minimum wage in whatever state you'll be visiting, and she'll only have to work 40 hours per week and will have breaks and such. Whether or not you actually follow such an agreement is between you and your nanny, but you need a signed document to that effect in any case.

The nanny will need a passport, of course.

You'll also have to sign something saying you'll be responsible for any and all expenses incurred by the nanny while in the US.

With all of that, you can request an interview for the nanny at the embassy. At that point it could go either way. Depends on the mood of the interviewer, current political climate, how well the nanny interviews, etc. Basically there's no guarantee, but as long as you can get all the paperwork in order there's no reason to not give it a try.

Suggest you call the embassy for any clarification.
michaelasher

Postby michaelasher » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Thank you so much. I have read that this type of thing needs to be in Spanish (so the nanny can understand it) and professionally translated into English so the interview can understand it.

Do you know anyone that helps with this sort of thing? Or can I just write these contracts up myself? Do they need to be notarized?

Any additional details would be great. Thanks again for responding. This forum is a huge help!
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:27 pm

You can write it yourself. Does not need to be notarized.

Just make sure you touch on all the contract details that are required according to the embassy.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register