Venezuelans wanting to get to Centro de Lima?!?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Venezuelans wanting to get to Centro de Lima?!?

Postby gringolandia » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:44 am

Ok, I'll bite. What is with all these small gangs of Venezuelans wandering around asking you to help them find the Centro de Lima?!?

Obviously they're looking for handouts... if not the opportunity to rob you... but why are they always looking to get to the Centro de Lima?

What does that mean? Is it some sort of code or reference I don't get?

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Venezuelans wanting to get to Centro de Lima?!?

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:51 am

Hello Gringolandia,

It is another dishonest method to cause a solidarity reaction. They ask us how to go to an address or place (usually away from the place they are), because they are in a hurry. Then they ask you for money to take a taxi to that place. Lazy Venezuelans. They ask for "Centro de Lima", because everyone knows how to get there

Another very popular method among young lazy venezuelans is using children for begging. They use their own children to cause pitty in native peruvians. We peruvians are so naive and so supportive and they take advantage of these qualities. Some of them are renting children of another Venezuelans for the day

It is very lucrative for them to be beggar. I checked the "subtitles generator" of this youtube translator and seem to be good enough to understand the message of the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99kIw-N5urc
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am

windsportinperu wrote:
Another very popular method among young lazy venezuelans is using children for begging. They use their own children to cause pitty in native peruvians. We peruvians are so naive and so supportive and they take advantage of these qualities. Some of them are renting children of another Venezuelans for the day

Not just Venezuelans.
I've seen Peruvians do that, too.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 am

Formidable. but not young healthy people who can work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8dC91DhNCA
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am

I got that the other day, but I was IN downtown Lima. The question was how to get out to Av. La Marina.

So, I think the deal is to ask for a reference to a location that people will recognize so that they will stop and engage in conversation, trying to help out.

Unfortunately, the pitch that I got was also followed up by a "Padre, me puedes ayudar con el pasaje". Sad, really. I do think it is hard for newcomers to find work, especially with this growing wave of xenofobia, and the fact that the most recent arrivals seem to be less qualified than the earlier wave.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:01 pm

There are hundreds and hundreds of places to work. Agriculture sector is one of the most needed market.

Alan, Is it needed specialized or qualified personnel for picking asparagus or avocados ?
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:20 pm

How qualified do you need to be to bend over

The joke writes itself...

Anyway, thanks for the explanation everyone. It is interesting that the question does, in fact, change if they happen to already be in Centro de Lima.

The next time I run into these folks maybe I'll suggest they go to Piura to pick fruit, although I'd rather not engage at all.

My wife was leaving my daughter's dance class a couple weeks ago and had just opened the security door to the street when a small gang of Venezuelans came at her asking how to get to "Centro de Lima" (of course), but she got the feeling that they might attack her so she quickly closed the door and waited until they were gone. The guards at the building agreed that they looked like they were preparing to rob her.

Then last night when I went to the Chilli's in Chacarilla I literally came across *two* separate gangs of Venezuelans as we were walking back to our car a block away, both asking how to get to "Centro de Lima". As I was with my kids we picked up our pace to get away, and was momentarily concerned that I did not have my pistol with me. It's probably time to head back to the range for some practice.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:15 pm

gringolandia wrote: and was momentarily concerned that I did not have my pistol with me. It's probably time to head back to the range for some practice.

Be very careful my friend, those violent young venezuelans are heartless

A proxeneta (pimp) shot to a sex-worker, because she refused to pay money. This has happened twice in a family oriented district as Lince this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIi0BZ8ixG4
carloso

Postby carloso » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 pm

I was at a family reunion recently and the conversation inevitably turned towards the recent uptick in crime by Venezuelan immigrants. My relatives, one of whom works for the judiciary, had many stories to tell. Though the tone was light (mostly making dark jokes about avoiding Venezuelan barbers), there was an undeniable real concern present, and it reflects what is being said on this thread. I don't really keep my ear to the ground around here but even I could not avoid learning about the dismembered body.

It is regrettable that public perception has shifted from sympathy to fear and rejection in a few short years :| Being an immigrant is no walk in the park, and these scoundrels are making it way harder for their compatriots who just want to make a life for themselves with some dignity. IMHO, they can ***** right off.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register