Work remotely while living Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mrk

Work remotely while living Peru

Postby mrk » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:05 pm

Hello!

I am planning to move to Peru with my girlfriend. She is Peruvian but I hold US and EU passports. I have a job lined up with a US company that I will be able to do from there as a remote contractor. I am trying to figure out a good formula to be able to reside there legally and work remotely if there is one. On top of this, I would like to avoid having to pay double taxes (US / Peru).

Some questions:
* Does it make a difference if I move there as EU or as US citizen?
* How can I legally reside in Peru? I read online that I could create a company (Me Inc.) and charge my client through it. Having a company makes it easier to get residency. How accurate is this? What's the fine print?
* As a US citizen, I am required to file taxes every year regardless of where I live. How can I avoid paying taxes in booth countries legally?
* Should I get paid in the US or the Peruvian bank account? Is it worth investigating something like Revolut?
* What kind of paperwork and timelines are to be expected?
* What other quirks should I explore? ie: insurance, bank accounts, ...

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Work remotely while living Peru

Postby Alan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:41 pm

mrk wrote:Hello!

I am planning to move to Peru with my girlfriend. She is Peruvian but I hold US and EU passports. I have a job lined up with a US company that I will be able to do from there as a remote contractor. I am trying to figure out a good formula to be able to reside there legally and work remotely if there is one. On top of this, I would like to avoid having to pay double taxes (US / Peru).

Some questions:
* Does it make a difference if I move there as EU or as US citizen?
AS A US CITIZEN, YOU CAN EARN UP TO AROUND $90,000 A YEAR, AFTER WHICH YOU NEED TO PAY TAX IN THE USA (AS WELL AS IN PERU). I DO NOT KNOW THE DEAL WITH THE EU.

* How can I legally reside in Peru? I read online that I could create a company (Me Inc.) and charge my client through it. Having a company makes it easier to get residency. How accurate is this? What's the fine print?
THIS IS MUCH HARDER THAN IN USED TO BE. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLY WITH A LOT OF FORMALITIES (I HAVE HEARD THEY ASK FOR BUSINESS LICENSE NOW.)

* As a US citizen, I am required to file taxes every year regardless of where I live. How can I avoid paying taxes in booth countries legally?
YES.
* Should I get paid in the US or the Peruvian bank account? Is it worth investigating something like Revolut?
IF YOU OPEN A COMPANY IN PERU, YOU WILL NEED TO RECEIVE MONEY HERE.

* What kind of paperwork and timelines are to be expected?

* What other quirks should I explore? ie: insurance, bank accounts, ...

PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE IS WIDELY AVAILABLE AND RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE COMPARED TO THE USA. BANK ACCOUNTS CAN BE OPENED BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE A CARNET OR SOME OTHER LONG TERM LEGAL STATUS HERE - THOUGH FROM TIME TO TIME YOU HEAR ABOUT BANKS THAT OPEN ACCOUNTS BASED ON A PASSPORT AND A TOURIST VISA.
-----
"Hay que distanciarnos hoy para luego abrazarnos más fuerte".
-Guiseppe Conte, primer ministro italiano.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello

Does anyone knosw is somewhere in the World exists that kind of visa required by the OP ?

iT is working in Country A (Peru) but earning money from abroad (Country B = Rest of the World)

It seem to be that is needed another kind of visa. It is not the case of a Tourist, Working , Study , Retiree or Investment VISA

It would be good for Peru to offer some kind of facilities to people from abroad to work in Peru and just stay here legally.

He or She would be part of the Economy of the Country. Renting a house or apartment and consuming local services and food is good for the host country.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am

This is what so-called digital nomads do. But no, I have never heard of a visa category, from any country, that is specific for that situation. Maybe they will be a thing in the future as people become more location independent. I know a lot of people would rather pay the country a fee for, let's say, a one-year temporary residence permit versus having to do visa runs like you have to do in Thailand or Vietnam, for instance. While they are living there, they would also contribute to the economy through their consumption, effectively bringing foreign capital in. Not a bad deal for all parties involved, if the host country is a developing country.

As per the comments here, Peru just moved to make this harder though. Not that is was a hub before or anything, but they just made it harder. I could see cities like Cuzco or Arequipa becoming more attractive to nomads and expats, like Medellin or Chiang Mai are, if this wasn't the case.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am

carloso wrote:This is what so-called digital nomads do. But no, I have never heard of a visa category, from any country, that is specific for that situation. Maybe they will be a thing in the future as people become more location independent. I know a lot of people would rather pay the country a fee for, let's say, a one-year temporary residence permit versus having to do visa runs like you have to do in Thailand or Vietnam, for instance. While they are living there, they would also contribute to the economy through their consumption, effectively bringing foreign capital in. Not a bad deal for all parties involved, if the host country is a developing country.

As per the comments here, Peru just moved to make this harder though. Not that is was a hub before or anything, but they just made it harder. I could see cities like Cuzco or Arequipa becoming more attractive to nomads and expats, like Medellin or Chiang Mai are, if this wasn't the case.

Don't you think the host country should request where and how that foreign currency is coming in? Don't you think the host country should ask who the person is? His background?
If all one had to do was pay a fee every year, I can only imagine what riff raff that would be attractive to.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:40 am

I mean yeah, although the requirements would be for each host country to decide. But for the countries I mention those people are already there, living and working and spending their money, so probably the list wouldn't be much longer. I wasn't saying just pay the fee, although the fee would be good for the country, theoretically. Whether they should or should not check how and where is that money coming from is up to them, of course. My hunch is that they wouldn't care. In Vietnam, for instance, you can bring money in willy-nilly, but try to send any out, as I needed to once, and you'll run into a wall of regulations. Maybe prospective temporary residents could show some proof of income, but certainly not many governments would go to the trouble or have the ability to check on every source of income, coming from many countries.

But as long as people are there already, the respective governments could capitalize on a growing trend and inject some cash into local economies too. It's just an idea.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:55 am

I mean well yeah, Vietnam is a communist country, a far cry from Peru and most countries. The fact is.....not a hunch, most countries do and need to check where income is coming from and backgrounds. It is called a visa application. Just paying a fee every year invites ne'er-do-wells.
carloso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby carloso » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Except not really though. I see why you'd think that, but most countries in fact do not check or care where your money is coming from, especially developing countries (what we are talking about here) and especially not small amounts. In fact, most don't even require a visa application either (depending on your passport, of course). What I'm saying is, slap a fee to make people's stays there more convenient to them and more profitable for the host country. Definitely the country should do whatever due diligence they deem necessary to avoid unsavory elements. I'm not arguing against that. But as things are now, people are in fact already living and working remotely all over the world without a legal framework specific to their situation. The same legislation that creates the fees could create a list of requirements and background checks too.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:59 pm

I would like to know which countries that do not ask for visa applications.
As far as your statement "The same legislation that creates the fees could create a list of requirements and background checks too." That is already in place, it's called a visa application and, btw, with fees.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register