New Mobile Phone or Sim Card?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

New Mobile Phone or Sim Card?

Postby johnstar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Hello all,

Im living close to Av Benavides by Caminos del Inca en Surco and since i arrived a week ago i havent been able to use my mobile phone.

My network in England is Orange which worked well in Madrid Airport even though the network switched to Telefonica, but here in Peru ive had no network coverage both with that sim card and also a Claro sim card that my girlfriend gave me, so therefore im wondering if there is a place in Surco to buy a sim card that will give coverage to a Nokia 8210 mobile or whether i have to cut my losses and buy a new Peruvian phone from Wongs or somewhere like that, i think the prices there were at least 100 soles, so has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks )

Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Mobile Phone or Sim Card?

Postby markr » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:49 pm

johnstar wrote:Hello all,

Im living close to Av Benavides by Caminos del Inca en Surco and since i arrived a week ago i havent been able to use my mobile phone.

My network in England is Orange which worked well in Madrid Airport even though the network switched to Telefonica, but here in Peru ive had no network coverage both with that sim card and also a Claro sim card that my girlfriend gave me, so therefore im wondering if there is a place in Surco to buy a sim card that will give coverage to a Nokia 8210 mobile or whether i have to cut my losses and buy a new Peruvian phone from Wongs or somewhere like that, i think the prices there were at least 100 soles, so has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks )

Unless your phone is Tri-band and unlocked, ie not tied to a given network which yours probably is being Orange, it will not work.
Having had the same problem with my Orange phone, I bought a Nokia from Telefonica/ Movistar, approx 120 soles. It came with 120 soles of free calls to other Movistar users and 100 soles of free text messages to other Movistar phones, both to be used within 30 days.
Claro may well do a similar deal but it depends on who you will be ringing and what network they are on as to which will be the cheapest for your needs.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:31 pm

Just get a new phone, there are tons of sales and you get your money back in free calls
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks guys,

I will head into town and look at the offers on view and pick out one with some free calls etc included.

Thanks for the consejo

John
Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register