Home construction costs in Peru.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Home construction costs in Peru.

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:19 am

My wife and I are in the process of trying to determine if we want to buy an existing home in Chiclayo or build a new one. In contacting an architect in Lima, we were told that standard costs in Lima are $8 per m2 for the complete building plans, and $250 per m2 for construction costs (which works out to $23 per sq ft… incredible compared to US building costs). The cost for the building permit is $500. He added that construction costs in Chiclayo should be considerably less.

Does anyone have any experience with building a home in Peru? Are these cost figures accurate?

Thanks,
Tom

cafeandino
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cafeandino » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 am

Hey,

I have done a lot of building here in Huaraz, and I can tell you that your numbers seem within reasonable amounts.

But, it's really more of a guess. Certainly depends on a lot of factors that are not mentioned. Is this sq. mt. price a "finished" price, floors/doors/windows/kitchen/bathroom? Any drywall, or are we talking bricks and poured cement? Fancy roof?

Sometimes you can really come out ahead if you find an existing place on a great piece of land - where you want - and either add on, or just use the land. Well, I'm sure you know that.

If you dont mind my asking, where in N Wis are you? I'm from Minnesota myself (smile when you say that)

-Chris
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:44 am

We've spent about 5K USD in the complete remodlation of an 80m2 apartment. Gutting everything and putting in new flooring, walls, kitchen, etc.
splinter3789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby splinter3789 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:36 am

As is the case anywhere. Your actual costs for building a house vary greatly, depending upon where you're building (land costs) and what type of fit and finish you're planning on.

From what I know, I'd peg actual construction costs at $300 M2 low-end, $350 M2 mid-range and $400 M2 high-end finishes. I dont think those numbers change a great deal in any metro area in peru.

Land costs are an entirely different issue. Residnetial land costs could run anywhere from $15 M2, to $350 M2, depending upon the location. We just passed on a large lot in La Planicie (s/p), about 10,000 M2 at $260 M2. But, it was due to zonning issues and I couldn't get the numbers to "work".

If I were a foreigner and were going my own build a house in Peru, I'd utilize the same format I'd use in the states. I'd find a good architect, ask a lot of questions and have them take my accepted design out to bid to at least three contractors they were willing to recommend.

Architects fees s/b about 1% of contructed home value.
wi transplant

Postby wi transplant » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi Tom,

I have lived in peru for 1 year, I have built a new 3 story home in a gated community and my total cost was around 40.00 per sq foot, I will be in central wi sunday and expect to stay for 3 months to sell some property I have there, If you would like to talk about building and also my experiences in peru please e-mail me at [email protected]

Best regards,
Gary
gary
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:26 pm

This is what I absolutely love about this forum. I can post a question, drive into town for some groceries, and return home feeling fairly certain that there will be several informative responses. My thanks to each of you.

We communicated to the architect that we were thinking of a two-level home with family room, dining room, laundry room, kitchen, office/library, 3 bedrooms/baths with built-in closets, a large garage (in lieu of a basement), and a roof suitable for family gatherings. The architect responded with a proposal for 140m2 (70m2 per level, which seems awfully small to me) and indicated that the construction cost of $250/m2 represented “ready to move in.” but I can see where that leaves room for definition regarding plumbing and lighting fixtures, kitchen cabinets, painted drywall, etc. Are there “standard” specification lists and home plans used by builders in Peru?

Chris - I live just outside of Crivitz Wisconsin (pop 998) which is located 80 miles north of Green Bay. I hope you’re not a Viking fan.

Gary – email headed your way.

Tom
cafeandino
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cafeandino » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Tom,

It's exciting to build anywhere, but so much fun in Peru because of the amazing materials and craftship available. Incredible woods! Incredible carpenters!

You know, 70 sq mt per floor seems kinda small for the number of rooms, and the different uses that you have listed. Without knowing your Architect - and I would never assume that he/she is a bonehead - I would caution you to:
-leave the engineering to engineers. Peru sits on one of the most active geological zones in the world (as you know) so erring on the side of caution will have you sleep better at night. Thick rebar, fat load-bearing columns and "vigas", and hollow bricks (known as panderetas) + as much drywall as you can to divide rooms from second floor on up.
-leave the architecture to the architects. I have met a lot of Engineer/Architects - and they do neither very well. The standards of professionalism in the building trades are somewhat lower in Peru than, say, Wisconsin, so you really have to politely question things that dont make sense. Heights of stairwells and doorways are sometimes comic, and widths of doorways, hallways, etc. Stick you nose into the process.

I have had building plans drawn by engineers and then hired architects to consult on the aesthetics - it was a good fit for me, and the results were excellent.

I'm not a football fan - except maybe 1977 Bears with walter payton - but between Vikes and GB, I think we both know who is for real and who is the punk little brother, no?

I know NW Wisconsin (chequamegon NF) better than your neck of the woods, but I bet its gorgeous. I love the midwest, esp. this time of year.
-Chris
Chiclayo gringo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Chiclayo gringo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm

cafeandino wrote:-leave the engineering to engineers. Peru sits on one of the most active geological zones in the world (as you know) so erring on the side of caution will have you sleep better at night. Thick rebar, fat load-bearing columns and "vigas", and hollow bricks (known as panderetas) + as much drywall as you can to divide rooms from second floor on up.
-leave the architecture to the architects. I have met a lot of Engineer/Architects - and they do neither very well. The standards of professionalism in the building trades are somewhat lower in Peru than, say, Wisconsin, so you really have to politely question things that dont make sense. Heights of stairwells and doorways are sometimes comic, and widths of doorways, hallways, etc. Stick you nose into the process.

So...... you're saying there's a difference between building a cabin in Wisconsin's north woods, and erecting a casa in a costal desert earthquake region? :D

I hope I can call on you for more advice when the time comes. Thanks much for your input.

Tom
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Building your own house

Postby JanD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:32 am

We are planning to come to Peru somewhere next year and looking for a (min. 3 bedroom) house in Lima. There is a number of options in our price range (max. 150k). Now my wife (Peruvian from Lima) knows someone who is active in (house) building.
He says it is a real option to have in Lima a 4 bedroom house (all complete) built for 135k including a terrain of 300/400 m2 and a swimming pool.
Is this a real possibility and how can I organise this.
Has anyone addresses of well known (not necessary big, but just with a good reputation) building companies, who I can contact?
When I see the prices per m2 mentioned in this topic it should be possible, I think.

Tks for your replies!
Jan
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:25 am

I wouldl say go with your wife's friend. He's probably more reliable.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Home Demolition cost in Peru

Postby tupacperu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:42 pm

I am curious. What are the demolition cost in Peru, specificially Chiclayo?

I recently purchased an old 5 bedroom house on Pimentel beach (casona), near the restaurants and next new hotel in construction. Hotel Gran Pimentel.
I hear that Spirit is planning to fly to Chiclayo soon and I also have heard that Pimentel is in Talk with an American Hotel Chain to construct 2 5-star hotels on the beach. My property is 210 mt/sq (one floor). I am planning to demolish and rebuild a 3 floor home.1st floor is a restaurant (210 mt/sq) and the two upper floors living space (210 mt/sqper floor) with roof top patio. Has anyone had an estimate on demolition of houses in Peru. In the USA I am told it would be arounf $15,000.00.

http://www.granhotelpimentel.com.pe/
(the house is right next to the hotel).
Anyone have an idea? Would apreciate and input.
latina_822
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby latina_822 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:55 pm

I have read a news from the national newspaper (diario el peruano) and it showed demolition costs for about 6 to 7 soles * sqm, but you also have to consider costs for transport of demolition material which it says costs the same as for demolition. if you google "costos de demolicion" sure will come up a few companies in this business.
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:36 pm

[removed]
Last edited by rgamarra on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:14 pm

Rachel, that is not a shameless plug.

That is a great reference. I personally like to work with people recommended and in your case, you are vouching for Jean's work and......we know where you live!!! (just in case) :lol: :lol: Just kidding.

Thanks!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Rachel, is your husband coming here for good? That's great news!
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:09 pm

[removed]
Last edited by rgamarra on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 pm

I can imagine, I don't know though, isn't there anyway that he can live here and just wait out the US passport thing?

BUt what are his prices like? For example, we gutted our whole flat meaning covering bricks with cement, gutting the whole bathroom and kitchen and it cost us about 5K, including painting and cleaning at the end. But our construction guy wasn't very dependable and it took about 8 months.

Let me know what your husband charges, we will probbaly be remodeling our new place as well.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

house demolition in Peru

Postby tupacperu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks for the info on house demolition in Peru.
My wife as an uncle in Jaen whos is an architect.
I will see if I can run him down for some further insite.

Thnaks
Quique Matos

well maybe i know your husband

Postby Quique Matos » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:45 am

rgamarra wrote:Warning - Biased Bird Singing Here:

My husband will be down in July and he is PCI/ACI Certified in Concrete (Precast-Prestress-Architectural.)

He also has 7 years experience in Residential/Commercial construction and remodeling and operated his own Remodeling business in Florida before moving on to Virginia.

He's very honest, very fair in price, will tell you what works, what doesn't and will even throw in some ideas, and has worked with and been recommended by Nationwide Insurance, so if you want to ask him a question you can contact him at:

[email protected] (His name is Jean)

I've personally refused to continue work on our home until he comes back and can do it himself or supervise the workers. I don't care for Peruvian finish and design (in certain areas -- such as tile & paint!)

So if you want him to take a look (He speaks fluent English) he'll be here in July or if you want to ask a question, just email him and he'll probably be more than happy to give you advice, especially if you tell him that his wife (me) made the recommendation.

Okay, Shameless Plug Over

On another note: Price of materials tend to go up without notice, so A.) Have the contractor figure that into your estimate or B.) Be prepared to pony up the money later on.

Also, builders tend to be VERY messy and do not clean up after themselves, make it clear that they should, otherwise they will expect you to clean up after their mess.

I just may know your husband then, i work in Florida for 24 years in the field of construction, i done the superintending job for 10 years, so there is a strong possibility that your husban work for me or knows someone that i know, the construction bussines is a tight community here, tell him to get back to me please.the name is Quique Matos..i for the people that dont know MEPFP, stands for Mechanical [air conditioning and heating], electrical, plumbing, and fire protection [fire sprinkler].
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 am

Quique

Don't forget to post the link to your cool website, where everybody can see your art work (maybe start another thread?).

Greetings,

Maria
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
alyscamps

Postby alyscamps » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Nowadays, construction cost in Lima is +/- 250$/m², due to increasing prices of materials. You have to distinguish beteween "casco" ang finishing, ans the final price will depend a lot on the type of finitions (standard or lujo) you will choose.

For demolishing, it costs nearly nothing, more or less $30/m².
[email protected]

Home Construction in Cajamarca

Postby [email protected] » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:29 am

Howdy folks! Does anybody know what it costs to build near Cajamarca? Lima is about $250 per m2. Is it about the same near Cajamarca? Thanks.
microbiology

Re: Home construction costs in Peru.

Postby microbiology » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Does anyone know what the cost in M2 for a house in a condominium for Av. los frutales residential, la molina; lima, Peru is?
Sina

Postby Sina » Fri May 06, 2011 3:44 am

microbiology wrote:Does anyone know what the cost in M2 for a house in a condominium for Av. los frutales residential, la molina; lima, Peru is?

Hi there
I am also looking for the completion cost in Lima. I emailed couple of agents but they never back to me as they promised on the phone. I am wondering if you could find any suitable infos, an archetect contact number who speaks english and or any relevant info/link?
I do really appreciate.
have a nice day
Sinai
Marcole Peru

Postby Marcole Peru » Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Sinai,

Marcole Peru S.A.C. is a full service architecture and design firm located in Lima, Peru specializing in residential and commercial construction projects from conception to completion. We also provide individual services and services for projects requiring architectural approval as mandated by each municipality. We are certified and registered in Peru and speak English and Spanish. Feel free to contact us with your specific architecture and design needs by e-mail at [email protected]. You can also visit our website at http://www.marcoleperuarquitectos.com.
Last edited by Marcole Peru on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcole Peru Arquitectos, La Molina, Lima, PERU
http://www.marcoleperuarquitectos.com
AmandaZ

Postby AmandaZ » Fri May 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey Marcole Peru,

My husband and I will be moving to Peru next month. He is Peruvian,a licensed structural engineer here (California) and in Peru and holds a MS in seismic engineering. Do you have any tips for job hunting? I think he knows how best to find work, but he hasn't worked in Peru for about 10 years, and am hoping that you (or anyone else!?) might have more recent info.

Thank you!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 pm

I had custom made plans for my home in Pimentel. I worked with 2 Architects in Lima.
The total cost for Plans (electricity, water, engineering and final Plans) was $3700.00. The property was 210M2 the actual structure will be 265 M2, This was the price 2 years ago.
The Plans alone are less if you do not include utilities. So you may want to ask if utilities are included

The real hassle for us was presenting the project to the Municipality. There was an Anti-Project (Pre-project approval)which took a lot of foot work and paper work . Then there is the actual project approval . These may come at additional cost, depending if you are going to do it yourself or us a building contractor.

I was quoted $300 M2 for construction cost in Pimentel. I have not started the actual project due to job relocation to Phoenix, AZ and the purchase of a new home. The actual construction will be delayed for another year.

My Architects:
[email protected] Renzo Reategui: he has his own firm now.
Daniel Rondinel([email protected]) - He is in the US right now advanced studies - may not be available.

Hope this helps:

Animation of the final plan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62in5470sa0
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri May 06, 2011 6:05 pm

I made a remodelation of a 1/2 bathroom to a 1 bathroom (shower included) + gas heater and all new. It cost 1,000 usd this last February.. We had to cut room for new pipeline of tap-water, sewage water (4 inches), and gas lines..
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri May 06, 2011 6:57 pm

It`s just tough to find good and affordable construction staff.

There's too many guys who are monday electrican, tuesday bricklayer and the next day painter.
The do anything but can`t do anythings properly.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri May 06, 2011 7:18 pm

euroman wrote:There's too many guys who are monday electrican, tuesday bricklayer and the next day painter. The do anything but can`t do anythings properly.

Euroman, if you are looking for the cheapest service then you will only find this kind of workers. The cheapest in Peru is always the same as bad service.

The good workers are specialist on each area. One way to check it, is asking for a "business card" , if they have one in the field they work, they are usually good. You also have to begin a technical conversation with him, if the answers or comments are according to what you previously know, then he passed the first test.

Once the work begins, you have to be there, checking everything is ok and done ok. I never leave alone a new worker I have never seen his work before, because I don't know the quality of the job. I recently hired a guy who is specialized installing tiles, he has done a very good work at home. But the price isn't the cheapest one.

I learned the hard way never to hire again the guy who is all the day stand in some part of the "mercado" waiting for any kind of job to be done. They are "bueno para nada", good for nothing
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby euroman » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
euroman wrote:There's too many guys who are monday electrican, tuesday bricklayer and the next day painter. The do anything but can`t do anythings properly.

Euroman, if you are looking for the cheapest service then you will only find this kind of workers. The cheapest in Peru is always the same as bad service.

Once the work begins, you have to be there, checking everything is ok and done ok. I never leave alone a new worker I have never seen his work before, because I don't know the quality of the job. I recently hired a guy who is specialized installing tiles, he has done a very good work at home. But the price isn't the cheapest one.

The contracters I used where the ones who charged the lowest price and they were very good. I also watched them whilst they were working.
Before I contracted them, I first watched a place they worked on before to see if the work was done properly.

My neigboor used one of the more expensive contracters to extend here home but the work was done badly and took too long. It costed her a lot of money to get things right (by another contracter).

Often the expensive ones are the bad ones. They charge you a lot because they know you will never hire them again because they work badly. And they have to charge a lot because they get little work.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Euroman, I was making a reference to your previous comments. The amateur workers, those that one day are painters and the next day bricklayers. They initially could try to charge you a high price, but after dealing will end charging you the cheapest of the market. They are good for nothing..

Paying the highest price is not guarantee of good quality too, because you could be paying the highest price to someone who is "good for nothing". But if you hire an specialist they will charge you the market price and will make a good work. Usually they have a lot of work to do because of the same reason -> quality work create good demand.

In a big city as Lima, not always is possible to check the work done by a worker before, but if the opportunity is there, you have to see it.
peru2018

Postby peru2018 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Dear Expatriates,

I am a United States citizen married to a Peruvian national. We have three children together, our house is located in Piura, Peru and had some damage from the last El Nino Storm in 2017.

Can anyone offer a recommendation for those in the following trades:
…Masonry. Patching and repairing interior and exterior brickwork.

… Roofing. Our roof is flat. We wanted to explore the option of a sloped roof that is more weather resistant or at least more weather resistant materials.

… Interior molding and carpentry, especially around windows and doors.

… General Handyman Services.

The house is occupied, so it is not an emergency. Our goal is to keep the house in good condition and eventually transfer title to the children many years in the future. I am looking forward to sharing experiences with those who are in a similar situation or have been in the past.

Sincerely,
Richard

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register