El Malecon - Miraflores

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

El Malecon - Miraflores

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:21 pm

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but el Malecon in Miraflores is REALLY NICE.

I biked it again today. Men, women, children, cats, dogs, bikes skates, walkers, joggers, kissers, huggers -- all present.

People doing yoga under a lighthouse while people glide the sky above parapenting.

People exercising, people being lazy - all there.

Blue, brown, green, red & yellow - all colors of nature with the sky. sand, grass and flowers.

The malecon is like another world - with a hustling, bustling city just steps away.

Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:55 pm

I've heard it's great, but that women shouldn't go there alone. There, and Parque Kennedy, and Calle de las Pizzas.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Maybe at night, but in the daytime, this is where grandmothers are free to stroll. Perfectly safe in the day. 100% sure.

jamie

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Corsaire

Postby Corsaire » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:00 pm

NG, if that your mind set for anywhere relatively safe you plan to go alone you'll never be free to really enjoy what any place might offer to you. It's like someone poiting out the beautiful starry night sky to you but you are concentrating on the finger, you'd be missing all that glory.
:wink:
Brian
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Corsaire wrote:NG, if that your mind set for anywhere relatively safe you plan to go alone you'll never be free to really enjoy what any place might offer to you. It's like someone poiting out the beautiful starry night sky to you but you are concentrating on the finger, you'd be missing all that glory.
Brian

Great advice Brian. To be fair, Naturegirl is quite an adventurer. I think she was being cautious with her advice. That said, she's quite humble with her stories. NG has trekked more countries than I have seen, and would love to hear more.

Cheers to all!

jamie

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:24 pm

It is a bit of a spooky place at night and not all that well lighted.

During the day it is a magical site.. I can't say how many times I've run up and down it this past year. The only thing I don't understand is people trying to stop me in order to ask me something when there are plenty of other people not in the middle of exercise to harass! "me no entender! " jajaja
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:58 pm

cajun jamie wrote:
Corsaire wrote:NG, if that your mind set for anywhere relatively safe you plan to go alone you'll never be free to really enjoy what any place might offer to you. It's like someone poiting out the beautiful starry night sky to you but you are concentrating on the finger, you'd be missing all that glory.
Brian

Great advice Brian. To be fair, Naturegirl is quite an adventurer. I think she was being cautious with her advice. That said, she's quite humble with her stories. NG has trekked more countries than I have seen, and would love to hear more.
Cheers to all!
jamie

I'm not afraid, just don't want the unwanted attention, maybe it's ñmore for gringas. About going to places, I live in Surquillo, ´nuff said :)
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 pm

naturegirl wrote:
cajun jamie wrote:
Brian

Cheers to all!
jamie

I'm not afraid, just don't want the unwanted attention, maybe it's ñmore for gringas. About going to places, I live in Surquillo, ´nuff said :)

SNAP! OOOH Sharon. Got a wild streak coming out. Nice! 8)

Seriously, one day I am going to practice Tai Chi with those 123 year old chinese women.

curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 pm

I agree with sbaustin, it's not very well lit at night but it sure is nice in the day. It's always nice to see people of all races and languages -- seeing Peruvians and hearing Spanish only can be kind a boring =)

Larcomar is my favorite spot.
thomasg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby thomasg » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:56 am

I live off Malecon in Chorrillos in fact right in front or back depends on which way you lok at it by the Club Regatta and it is a beautiful place during the day. I have walked it at night but I think you should be careful anywhere you go in Lima at night. No place is 100% safe. I have the advantage of being able to sit on my balcony at night and see Larco-mar and the Mariott and the lights of the city. It is beautiful, also the lights of all the cars traveliing on the costa Verde... I have to leave here in October. I am moving back with my wife in Surco.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Why are you moving?
thomasg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby thomasg » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:41 pm

not 100% sure yet but my wife and I want to live closer to her family in Surco. I will know more later but this place is like Heaven on earth...
johnstar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby johnstar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:02 am

Yep totally agree, i rode on my bike from Surco and Benavides right along the Malecon and there were quite a few people and it was still so relaxing, definitely gonna pass along there again before i leave
Seize the moment and grab the opportunity!
Mike
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:12 am

One complaint.

Stay off the green sidewalk if you are walking, it is for the bike riders. I have almost killed people who aren't paying attention.

It is an awesome bike ride!!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:40 pm

Mike wrote:One complaint.

Stay off the green sidewalk if you are walking, it is for the bike riders. I have almost killed people who aren't paying attention.

And vice versa. I was biking on the sidewalk and this retired, jogging Peruvian wearing what looked like a Marine military hat didn't bat an eye. He was running towards me, looked me in the eye, looked down at the green bike path, and I knew exactly what he meant. I nodded, hopped down onto the path and scooted along.

I bought a new bike today and retired the monster bike I dubbed "the combi." Rode the malecon today. I am sure now I want to do parapenting and maybe next year buy one and take up flying. I know of some guys who own them and like to sail the dunes around Ica. Time for more adventure sports.

For some decent bikes, I recommend Bici-Centro in Miraflores. Pseo de la Republica 4986, near Parque Miranda and the theatre facing the park. The Owner is Victor Romero and there are decent bikes from 280 soles on up. I bought a mid-class mountain bike for 480 soles and was happy.

naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 pm

I got rammed about two months ago, by a stupid biker, from behind to boot, but it was in Arequipa.
Gabriel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gabriel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 pm

naturegirl wrote:

I got rammed about two months ago, by a stupid biker, from behind to boot, but it was in Arequipa.
Riding a bike in Lima its like climbing the Everest without oxygen! (just sherpas and "aliens" could do that! :P )
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:12 pm

Gabriel wrote:
naturegirl wrote:

Riding a bike in Lima its like climbing the Everest without oxygen! (just sherpas and "aliens" could do that! :P )

No, certainly not. Stalker and I went riding around Miraflores. You just grab hold of a combi and ride along. It's quite interesting. Seriously, you just keep pace with the traffic, look around and do a lot of weaving. Just like driving a car.

:-)

mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:35 am

cajun jamie wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
naturegirl wrote:

No, certainly not. Stalker and I went riding around Miraflores. You just grab hold of a combi and ride along. It's quite interesting. Seriously, you just keep pace with the traffic, look around and do a lot of weaving. Just like driving a car.

Does Mrs. Stalker know that Jamie is making Stalker do this? holding a combi? ....OMG :shock:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
stalker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stalker » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:54 pm

dont worry mamalu Rosa is the one who showed us.hey CJ give credit its due , ok who showed you the bike shop and who has the parapenta buddies?????? :evil: :lol: :cry:
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 pm

stalker wrote:dont worry mamalu Rosa is the one who showed us.hey CJ give credit its due , ok who showed you the bike shop and who has the parapenta buddies?????? :evil: :lol: :cry:

Aw, man - sorry. I made the post earlier but forgot to mention how I found the place.

For some decent bikes, I recommend Bici-Centro in Miraflores. Pseo de la Republica 4986, near Parque Miranda and the theatre facing the park. The Owner is Victor Romero and there are decent bikes from 280 soles on up. I bought a mid-class mountain bike for 480 soles and was happy.

Stalker showed me the bike shop, and introduced me to some friends who parapente and have dune buggies.

You are the man Stalker!

jb

Gabriel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gabriel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 pm

cajun jamie wrote:No, certainly not. Stalker and I went riding around Miraflores. You just grab hold of a combi and ride along. It's quite interesting. Seriously, you just keep pace with the traffic, look around and do a lot of weaving. Just like driving a car.

:shock: (and I thought that just riding INSIDE a combi was the closest experience to a roller coaster... :D )
cajun jamie wrote:Stalker showed me the bike shop, and introduced me to some friends who parapente and have dune buggies.
Dune buggy... That was such a good movie! :D

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register