Frisbee anyone??

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ejdl

Frisbee anyone??

Postby ejdl » Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 pm

Hello everyone, I am a brand new expat just got here a few months ago. I am finally done with the shock (I think!) and ready to make a life here in Lima!

The thing I miss MOST about May back home is the beginning of ultimate frisbee season. It is the BEST sport... and Peruvians have never heard of it. Anyone interested in getting together for a game? Message me and we will figure out where and when to play. I have discs!! Newbies and experts welcome. Id love to get some Peruvians out to teach them too.

Cheers all!

karinita

Re: Frisbee anyone??

Postby karinita » Tue May 20, 2008 9:03 pm

ejdl wrote:Hello everyone, I am a brand new expat just got here a few months ago. I am finally done with the shock (I think!) and ready to make a life here in Lima!

The thing I miss MOST about May back home is the beginning of ultimate frisbee season. It is the BEST sport... and Peruvians have never heard of it. Anyone interested in getting together for a game? Message me and we will figure out where and when to play. I have discs!! Newbies and experts welcome. Id love to get some Peruvians out to teach them too.

Cheers all!

Hey Ejdl WELCOME!!

Are you sure Peruvians have never heard of frisbee before? Wow, how surprising it's such a popular sport! Hmm, you're gonna have to teach those Peruanuchos how to play it then, maybe start up a frisbee club or something, start your own little business.... hmm....8)

Have fun in Peru anyway! :wink:

Karinita.
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue May 20, 2008 9:12 pm

Make it Frisbee golf or football and I am in!
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue May 20, 2008 9:46 pm

cajun jamie wrote:Make it Frisbee golf or football and I am in!

That's ultimate frisbee - it's like football (american style) only with a frisbee.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue May 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Sounds like we got a game a brewin!

Count me in! Sounds like a blast.

Can we agree on a Saturday afternoon?

Alan
yeahdogg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby yeahdogg » Tue May 20, 2008 11:42 pm

I welcome any excuse to run around in shorts or sweats and show my flabby gut....I am down with this....Let me know when

YeahDogg
levain
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby levain » Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 am

I like Frisbee golf too! when, where?
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 am

I´ll be dodging bullets at the border of ecuador this weekend. Next week I can be in.

Thanks
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
alaskachica
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby alaskachica » Wed May 21, 2008 11:43 am

Count in me and my husband. I vote for Ultimate over Golf.
Heather
[email protected]
roberto
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby roberto » Wed May 21, 2008 11:44 am

Jamie, it's the border of Peru and Ecuador, not Colombia and Panama, the bullets aren't flying, yet.

On topic: I've never heard of ultimate Frisbee but I'm willing to try it! Just tell me the time and the place.
Does it involve drinking beer before, during or after? :)
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed May 21, 2008 12:59 pm

roberto wrote:Does it involve drinking beer before, during or after? :)

I think that's the HHH
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed May 21, 2008 1:33 pm

EJDL, welcome to the Forum!

Now, Karinita, is is true (rumor says) that you are a Boomerang champ, in the outback?

I encourage anybody who has time to practice some Frisbee, it could save you some embarrassment when you play in the beach to everybody's amusement, (specially when the darn thing hits you right in the head, and you still cannot catch it). :oops:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
roberto
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby roberto » Wed May 21, 2008 4:08 pm

What does HHH stands for? I never heard it.
Hope it's nothing bad :)
ejdl

Its on!!

Postby ejdl » Wed May 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Beers after are definitely part of the deal!! Great to see there is interest. I will look into locations. If someone has an idea let me know. Standard soccer field would do fine.

Anyone who wants more info on ultimate frisbee (or ulti, as we call it) can check this link: http://www.tuc.org/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=9128&page=1

Next Saturday then, thats May 31... 2 pm. Location TBA. Game is ON!
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed May 21, 2008 5:54 pm

roberto wrote:What does HHH stands for? I never heard it.
Hope it's nothing bad :)

That would be the Hash House Harriers, the so-called "drinkers with a running problem". See more here: http://www.expatperu.com/sorganizations.php

Alan
anuta

Postby anuta » Wed May 21, 2008 10:27 pm

ejdl wrote:Hello everyone, I am a brand new expat just got here a few months ago. I am finally done with the shock (I think!) and ready to make a life here in Lima!

Cheers all!

My Peruvian boyfriend told me that he's interested and I'm interested in him doing exercises, he's working too much. :lol:
anuta

Postby anuta » Wed May 21, 2008 10:28 pm

mammalu wrote:
I encourage anybody who has time to practice some Frisbee, it could save you some embarrassment when you play in the beach to everybody's amusement, (specially when the darn thing hits you right in the head, and you still cannot catch it). :oops:

Maria, are you talking about me ? :oops:
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Thu May 22, 2008 8:41 am

Anuta wrote:
mammalu wrote:

Maria, are you talking about me ? :oops:

Anuta, I am the perfect example of "I cannot chew and walk at the same time." :evil:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
giocarlo
Gold Member
Gold Member

how about vollyball

Postby giocarlo » Thu May 22, 2008 9:06 am

My wife will die to start a volly team, but frisby will do.

we are in aswell.

We will be settled in by mid june.

I am looking foward to my new life in Lima. :)
CALICHE
CoriFee

FRISBEE

Postby CoriFee » Thu May 22, 2008 10:40 am

Hello,

I am from Austria, normally working in Huaraz, but I will come to Lima tomorrow for 10 days and I would love to through some discs, cause I miss my ultimate team a lot!

so would it be possible to join the game on saturday 31th of may?
where will that be? could you give me an address?

thanks,Corinna
ejdl

GAME ON May 31, 2 pm

Postby ejdl » Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 pm

You would be most welcome, Corrina!!

Sounds like we get a pretty good-sized group... if we dont have enough to play (5 on 5 or 7 on 7) we will just toss the disc. Better than nothing!

The location has not been determined yet. When I figure that out I will send it to all those who expressed interest. If anyone knows of a good spot to play please do let me know!

Cheers!

E
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Thu May 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Has a date been set? And has it been added to the calendar?

I'd like to join, but I'll probably sit this one out this time.
CoriFee

Re: GAME ON May 31, 2 pm

Postby CoriFee » Thu May 22, 2008 3:12 pm

ejdl wrote:You would be most welcome, Corrina!!

Sounds like we get a pretty good-sized group... if we dont have enough to play (5 on 5 or 7 on 7) we will just toss the disc. Better than nothing!

The location has not been determined yet. When I figure that out I will send it to all those who expressed interest. If anyone knows of a good spot to play please do let me know!

Cheers!

E

I know that there is ultimate every wednesday in Lima (Colegio Franklin D. Roosevelt).
more info at:
http://www.upa.org/pickup/listings/Peru

best you contact troy ([email protected] )
he will answer immediatly and already invited me to play with them next wednesday! maybe he can help us with finding a place to play on saturday!

I will also bring one or two friends, so I think we may get to play a little :-)

best
Corinna
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu May 22, 2008 3:28 pm

rgamarra wrote:Has a date been set? And has it been added to the calendar?
I'd like to join, but I'll probably sit this one out this time.

It will be added once the time and date and place are set. I've added the FDR one though.
CoriFee

more ultimate

Postby CoriFee » Sat May 24, 2008 11:23 am

Hola Everyone,

so I guess next saturday is fixed!
I hope we will find a field too ;-)

one more question:
anyone interested in throwing or playing during the next days???

we are 2 or maybe 3 ultimate lovers and are looking for as much opportunities to practice as possible!!! :-))

so hope to read from you,
best Corinna and Rolly
CoriFee

ultimate Lima

Postby CoriFee » Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 am

something more,

it`s not quite true that there is no ultimate in Peru:

there is a video about the team in Lima, so check DISC out if you are interested:

http://www.tripfilms.com/profile.do?userID=67

Corinna
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat May 24, 2008 7:17 pm

There is an ultimate frisbee right now in my back yard. We have a large property and 9 kids (16-17) showed up for my son's birthday.

My husband and I were ducking while BBQ'ing. They have been playing (still are) for a few hours???, I will practice when nobody is watching :lol: :lol: tomorrow. :wink:
ejdl

Postby ejdl » Thu May 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Great job researching, Corrina! I am looking forward to checking out those links and sometime I will have to go to the pickup games at FDR too!

We are still on for this Saturday at 2 pm... everyone come and bring lots of people!! My Peruvian friend knows of an open space in La Molina so I will find the address and post it ASAP. Sorry for the delay, I just got back from a few days in Cuzco - my first time there. Wow!!

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone this weekend and playing some ulti!

E
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu May 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Where abouts in La Molina? Wish I could go but I have a congress
tduffiel

Sunday disc 11am

Postby tduffiel » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 am

hey everyone on this list. i'm duff and i run Lima Ultimate at Colegio Roosevelt in Lima. Go to the UPA wedsite to see where to play around the world and here.

i'll be at Roosevelt this upcoming Sunday morning 11am.

http://www.upa.org/pickup/listings/Peru

puravida,
duff
ejdl

Frisbee on today at 2 pm at Estadio Chipoco in Barranco

Postby ejdl » Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 pm

Thanks for the tip, Duff! I would love to come join your pickup game one of these Sundays. I am so pleased to hear that there is ultimate going on in Lima!

We are a GO for today at 2 pm - at Estadio Chipoco in Barranco. I am advised it is S / 20 per hour to rent a space, so bring a bit of change to cover that cost. It is near the corner of Av El Sol and Av Grau: I am looking for a map to show the exact location. Here is a link for now:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Lu ... ez_Chipoco

Sorry for the delay in posting the location; my internet has been down and I am currently at a friends house using her connection! Hope a few can make it out today - looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers,

Erica
ejdl

Postby ejdl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:35 pm

So I showed up for a half hour at Estadio Chipoco on Saturday to make sure no one was stranded. No one came but maybe not a surprise given my late timing in posting the location! Sorry everyone, bad timing for an internet breakdown.

I did find out that Estadio Chipoco is a pretty good spot, there is a good chunk of grass on the far side between the paved futbolito fields and its available for S./ 20 an hour. Ive got the guys card - it only needs to be reserved one day in advance he said. If anyone is up for it we can always try again another day. Let me know!!

Sounds like there are a few other options for pickup going on too, which is awesome - even better if I dont have to organize it! :) Hope to see some of you around soon!

Erica
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:42 am

Would you like mme to add it to the expat calendar?
Deny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Deny » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 am

Cheers all!

Hello everyone, did this Frisbee thing get done? We have a small team here that would love to give it a try, let me know when you guys get together or let's get something organized so we can have a match ...what do you say?
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:24 pm

If you set a time and place, I'll be glad to put it up on the calendar.
Deny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Deny » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:29 pm

naturegirl wrote:If you set a time and place, I'll be glad to put it up on the calendar.

Great thanks, I have the place, all I need is to know if there is another team to play against to set up time and date :)
alaskachica
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby alaskachica » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Deny,

Erica (aka edjl), the woman who originally tried to organize a game, is out of Lima for about a month.

Instead of setting up a competitive game, why don't you invite people on the forum to join you and your team for a pick-up game? The way the Wednesday game works, everyone just shows up and the teams are selected pretty randomly. People switch teams and sub in and out throughout.

Judging from the level of interest previously expressed on this forum, I think there would be enough people. You could also invite the people who participate on Wednesdays, I can send a message to that email list if you set something up.

I don't know anything about arranging for a field, but I would help spread the word if you could get the field. I vote for Sundays (because I do the Hash every other Saturday), anytime between 11am and 3pm. Saturdays I could attend on non-hash days.

If anyone wants to know more about the Wednesday games, send me an email at [email protected].

Heather (alaskachica)
jess.smith

Postby jess.smith » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:27 am

Hey Ultimaters! I am a Peace Corps Volunteer in Palpa, Ica who is a frisbee fanatic! I played throughout college and haven't had the opportunity to play much here because Peruvians don't really play the sport. Wondering if there are any groups in Ica that play, or people who would be interested in playing down there?

Otherwise, sometimes I come up to Lima and would love to join in. What days do you play and where at?

Waiting a reply!

Jess Smith
[email protected]
EZeeDee

Postby EZeeDee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Jess's post just bumped this thread to attention. If there is any frisbee still going on in Lima, please tell!
PTTurboe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby PTTurboe » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 am

I MISS DISC GOLF!!!!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register