HOw can I find out how Legit a company in the US is?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Deny
Gold Member
Gold Member

HOw can I find out how Legit a company in the US is?

Postby Deny » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:30 am

Maybe someone can help me, I need to check out a company that I've been contacted by, they're located in the US and want me to do some work for them here but before I do anything I want to know if they are a serious company and what they offer is real because it has to do with recruiting people and collecting a fee from them. Where can I get info on them? Thanks!!!

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:32 am

Check the Better Business Bureau, see if they've had complaints lodged against them.
Deny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Deny » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks Kelly, I did that and they don't appear, I have to be honest, I'm sure if it's a legit company things can be great but according to what they are asking there is a chance they can be a scam, that is my fear. And if they are a scam I won't suffer any economical damage BUT the people I recruit for the could so that's what I want to avoid.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:57 am

Do they have a web site? Have you googled them? If anyone has had problems with them in the past, there would probably be some sort of blog or forum posts about them from someone complaining.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:29 am

BBB is a good place. As is the yellow pages, if theyr'e there it's a good sign they're legit.
Dan Bonenberger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scams

Postby Dan Bonenberger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:39 am

Check out the web site of the `Attorney General of that State the state they do business in, contact them.. See if their under investigation. I have seen so many scams etc. I am Leary about anything over the Internet. Check out their Executives. Google them. If you don't find anything , they probably are a scam. The best sign is you feel something is wrong. Usually those GUT INSTINCTS are right. take care Dan
Steeler Fan
Deny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Scams

Postby Deny » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am

Dan Bonenberger wrote:Check out the web site of the `Attorney General of that State the state they do business in, contact them.. See if their under investigation. I have seen so many scams etc. I am Leary about anything over the Internet. Check out their Executives. Google them. If you don't find anything , they probably are a scam. The best sign is you feel something is wrong. Usually those GUT INSTINCTS are right. take care Dan

Thanks, I just e mailed the attorney general in NYC with all the info, I hope i get a reply :D
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgamarra » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Denisse:

Try here -
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corp/corpwww.html

Some states have a website with a search function so you can review if a business is actually registered there.

You can also try to find the State's division of consumer affairs and contact them.

In Florida it is http://www.sunbiz.org
and the Florida DBPR for license searches @ http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/
(Just for future reference.)
David

Re: HOw can I find out how Legit a company in the US is?

Postby David » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Deny wrote:Maybe someone can help me, I need to check out a company that I've been contacted by, they're located in the US and want me to do some work for them here but before I do anything I want to know if they are a serious company and what they offer is real because it has to do with recruiting people and collecting a fee from them. Where can I get info on them? Thanks!!!

Deny,

If you like, PM me the name of the company with the information you want.

I'll do all I can to check things out for you. Get me all the contact info you have, and I'll do what I can. Anyone else here want join in the investigative work?

David
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:53 pm

David wrote:
Deny wrote:Maybe someone can help me, I need to check out a company that I've been contacted by, they're located in the US and want me to do some work for them here but before I do anything I want to know if they are a serious company and what they offer is real because it has to do with recruiting people and collecting a fee from them. Where can I get info on them? Thanks!!!

Deny,

I'll do all I can to check things out for you. Get me all the contact info you have, and I'll do what I can. Anyone else here want join in the investigative work?

David

Count me in, to help Deny. I was thinking of Dun & Bradstreet, or Hoover, but don't know how big the US company is. Let me know David how I can help you with info.
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
Deny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Deny » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks!! I wrote to the Attorney General but he said :
""""""""""""
You have contacted the Freedom of Information Law Office of the New York State Attorney General's Office. This office provides records in the possession the Attorney General's Office pursuant to the Freedom of Information Law. This Office does not provide advice or information.

This Office can forward a request for documents relating to a corporation to a Bureau within the Attorney General's Office ("Bureau") to determine whether that Bureau possesses records. Those records may be related to complaints made by consumers, investigations or litigation initiated by the Attorney General or filings required to be made by statute. Please be advised that it will cost $.25 per page for each page over five (5) pages.

The Office of the Attorney General does not certify or verify the "legitimacy" or "reputation" of businesses.

If you would like, you can send an e-mail to this address and request records that might be in the possession of the Office of the Attorney General. We will process such a request pursuant to New York's Freedom of Information Law.

Thank you.
Beth Fuchs
Legal Assistant
FOIL Office"""""""""""""""""""

So I'll PM both of you the data on the company...I really appreciate your help :D
Dan Bonenberger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dan Bonenberger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Sorry Deny, I thought they would help. :oops: I have dealt with the attorney generals office in Pa. and they were more than Co-operative. If mammalu and David don't find anything . I will see what I can do. Sorry Dan
Steeler Fan
David

Postby David » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:56 pm

mammalu wrote:
David wrote:

Deny,

David

Count me in, to help Deny. I was thinking of Dun & Bradstreet, or Hoover, but don't know how big the US company is. Let me know David how I can help you with info.

Maria,

I sent an pm to Deny asking for what info she needs. As soon as I here from her I'll let you know how we can put something together.

David

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register