planning to come...but where to start???

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
needlebunny

planning to come...but where to start???

Postby needlebunny » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:28 pm

Hello,

I'm a 24-year-old woman who is interested in coming to Lima to learn spanish. The plan...save money for 14 or 15 months, rent a furnished apartment in Lima for 3 or 4 months, and sign up for courses. The problem? planning this is a little over-whelming..I'm not exactly sure where to start...is it even advisable to plan to move to lima for 4 months and live alone?

ANY direction/advice would be appreciated..

Thanks!

David

Postby David » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:21 pm

I don't see any reason not to come/go to Lima. Go, enjoy, explore!

If you don't you'll always look back and say I should have, and you'd be right.

David
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Lots of places where you can learn Spanish will help with finding an apartment or host family, so that's one less thing to worry about. You can find recommended schools in Section 5 on www.theultimateperulist.blogspot.com

Good luck
DC_20833

Postby DC_20833 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:53 am

There are lots of options to learn Spanish here in Lima. 14-15 months would give you many options. I would first use the list mentioned and contact the schools and find out when their courses start and plan your arrival two weeks before so you can find an apartment to rent. Renting an apartment over the internet is possible but you will spend more money, this is why I recommend you arriving two weeks ahead of the course starting date so you can find housing. You should also consider schools outside of Lima as Lima is not a cheap place to live anymore. I know some schools keep a list of housing options so you should explore that too. Best of luck....
needlebunny

Thank you :)

Postby needlebunny » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Some people have told me that my idea is crazy, but they were people who don't really know anything about peru, so I knew that I needed a little feedback from someone who knew what they were talking about since, let's face it, I don't really know that much about Peru either...I was planning on living in Lima because I have a pen pal that lives there and there is a SAexplorers HQ there-thought it might be helpful to have people I could turn to in case I had questions/problems/got homesick/whatever.

If anyone has any other advice, random thoughts, thinks of something they wish they had known, etc. feel free to PM me...again, all help appreciated!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thank you :)

Postby Alpineprince » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:47 pm

needlebunny wrote:Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Some people have told me that my idea is crazy, but they were people who don't really know anything about peru, so I knew that I needed a little feedback from someone who knew what they were talking about since, let's face it, I don't really know that much about Peru either...I was planning on living in Lima because I have a pen pal that lives there and there is a SAexplorers HQ there-thought it might be helpful to have people I could turn to in case I had questions/problems/got homesick/whatever.

If anyone has any other advice, random thoughts, thinks of something they wish they had known, etc. feel free to PM me...again, all help appreciated!

If you are a member of SAE you can stay for a few months right in there place at a very reasonable cost. You could also do a bit of volunteering there and take part in their weekly Spanish conversation classes.
peruadapters

hello Needle Bunny: About Peru

Postby peruadapters » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi how are u?
Well if you want to go to Peru and you need any information or support you should contact PeruAdapters.
It is an organization who help foreign people to adapt to the peruvian culture in many ways.
Check their web site : www.peruadapters.org
or send them a email with your questions to [email protected]
Have a good trip
And enjoyt the beatiful country of Peru
We are an organization who recieve foreign volunteers to work in social projects.
agatto2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby agatto2 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:57 pm

LOL --- About the people (prob. Family and friends) who say you are crazy. Let me tell you about my family and friends. First Mother , Aunts and Uncles at our going away party "what will you eat there , do they have food" 10 million people in Peru and all must be starving, I almost peed my pants.

Second and most precious. My dads second wife ,,, she "did some research" you know, and just wanted to let me know that " i stand the chance of being eaten by the cannibals there " .OMG

They are family and friends and out of concern they wanted to share their wildest worries , out of love of course.

The real story ? Me , my wife and 3 year old daughter are doing very well here. If possible we will never go back to the states except for visits to family.

We found an apartment on craigslist, talked with the owners for a few weeks, they sent photos and we like the house very much. We also knew that we might be paying a bit higher price for the first few months. We figured that after two or three months here we would be able to find an apartment at a decent price, and we did.

As for the food -- anybody on this board will tell you -- its hard to keep the weight off here , the food is great and super cheap.

And if your crazy , so are we, and i love it . You wanna know why?

Cause i do what they see from a bus !!!!

The Gattos
www.cheapcheez.com
Judahslamb

Postby Judahslamb » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:42 pm

When looking for a language school check ICPNA, it costs about $130 a month and I've been there for two months now and love it. You probably won't come across it searching as it is known mostly to Peruvians (this is where they go to learn English). It is a great school located in Miraflores and much less than those you will find when searching "learn spanish in peru". There is another option, the Cathlica (spell?) University which is about the same cost and is in San Isidro.

I also recomend coming, you will regret it if you listen to all of the worried people back home!!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register