Money Transfer TO US from Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Kelly

Money Transfer TO US from Peru

Postby Kelly » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:18 pm

I know we've had many discussions about transferring money, but searching, all I could find was moving money from other countries into Peru. I need to transfer a small amount of money directly to my bank account in the US. I do not have a credit card. Does anyone know of a simple way to get this done?

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 pm

From USA to Peru

Xoom.com
MoneyGram (Banco Nacion - teller window)
Western Union is expensive.

PAYPAL:(direct checking account)
But let Paypal know you are sending from Peru or they will freeze your tranaction.

From Peru to USA - LImited options.
Go directly to Money Gram or Western Union and ask.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Paypal's great for that. But also, check with your bank in Lima, lots do international transaction.s
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Money transfer

Postby Jimmy111 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Im in the states right now. If you give the money to my wife there I will deposite for you here. What bank?
Jim
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:04 am

It's my credit union in Florida. Actually, I've got a friend that lives nearby that can deposit money for me, but I was hoping to cut out the middle man and do it myself if possible.

I don't believe that you can send money from Peru to the US on Paypal - I was just checking it this evening, because I do have a paypal account with my US bank account.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Kelly wrote:It's my credit union in Florida. Actually, I've got a friend that lives nearby that can deposit money for me, but I was hoping to cut out the middle man and do it myself if possible.

I don't believe that you can send money from Peru to the US on Paypal - I was just checking it this evening, because I do have a paypal account with my US bank account.

Paypal does not exist yet in Peru (banking laws) though they do have it in Argentina, although I would be loathe to put any dollars into Argentina now!
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 pm

You can send via PayPAL (to Peru)

Send Money to Anyone in the Growing PayPal Network:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... es-outside
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:44 pm

:oops: You're right, I've only been using Paypal for six years and I stil don't know how it works. I get paid online, so the money's never in Peru, the transfer it to a US bank and could take it out here in Peru, but just leave it in the US.
David

Postby David » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:47 pm

You could always ask Skip!
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 pm

While advice on sending money to Peru is nice, my problem is that I needed to send money that was in the bank here in Peru to my US bank.

Anyway, problem solved - A friend in Florida who lives near my credit union is going to deposit some money for me. I'll have to check with Western Union sooner or later, and see what they have as far as direct bank deposit. I'm sure this won't be the last time I have this problem.
agatto2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby agatto2 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:54 am

Mail a travelers check to your friend. Double check with a money gram though , I think we paid 2 dollars to mail a letter last week
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Western Union has direct bank deposit in the USA, but I am not sure if it works outside the USA
elrifle

Postby elrifle » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:35 pm

That depends on how small. If it's a monthly payment (like a credit card minimum) there's no reasonable way that constitutes value for money. (As it was, my credit union wouldn't even accept payment from Western Union -- whether you can use WU is up to the individual bank -- and a credit card company suggested a Western Union option which I'm not sure is available here and was about 13 usd anyway, which was a bit steep to send just a minimum payment.)

For a larger payment -- say several hundred dollars -- I would try Interbank, which charged me 19 usd to send money. Also, though they would have liked a DNI, they didn't insist upon one. And the money arrived in a day. (BCP wouldn't do a transfer without my opening an account there, and the costs at Scotiabank were roughly double as Interbank.)

If anyone knows of an easier way to transfer funds directly into a bank account, I'd be interested in knowing it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register