Cost of living in Peru / Relocating to Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Yeah, but you'd have to live like a Peruvian. If not, you could easily spend 500 or 600 just on a flat. We take buses, if you take taxis, costs dramaticlaly increase. salaries are lower here as well. If you look like a gringo and don't speak Spanish, you'll get gringo prices as well.


Dan Bonenberger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: penna.

Costs of Living

Postby Dan Bonenberger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Now thats what I'm talking about. :wink: Dan
Steeler Fan
z28com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Florida, USA
Contact:

Postby z28com » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 pm

naturegirl wrote:Yeah, but you'd have to live like a Peruvian. If not, you could easily spend 500 or 600 just on a flat. We take buses, if you take taxis, costs dramaticlaly increase. salaries are lower here as well. If you look like a gringo and don't speak Spanish, you'll get gringo prices as well.


We would not live in a "flat"... ours would be "inflated". :lol:

I would probably walk to most places. I would try to get a place close to many stores and walk several blocks and use a basket to bring home the groceries. Lots of calories to burn there.

My wife is sitting next to me as I post this and keeps saying, "I'm not moving... I'm not moving." I don't know what else to tell her to convince her to move back.
David

Postby David » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:04 pm

z28com wrote:
naturegirl wrote:Yeah, but you'd have to live like a Peruvian. If not, you could easily spend 500 or 600 just on a flat. We take buses, if you take taxis, costs dramaticlaly increase. salaries are lower here as well. If you look like a gringo and don't speak Spanish, you'll get gringo prices as well.


We would not live in a "flat"... ours would be "inflated". :lol:

I would probably walk to most places. I would try to get a place close to many stores and walk several blocks and use a basket to bring home the groceries. Lots of calories to burn there.

My wife is sitting next to me as I post this and keeps saying, "I'm not moving... I'm not moving." I don't know what else to tell her to convince her to move back.



What are her very good reasons for not wanting to move back?

My mother in law says the same thing to my wife and I. She fled Peru 40 years ago and can't understand why we would want to go there.

She does not see that we are in a different financial position then she was 40 years ago.

But she has some very good points. Political instability to start with. (no the short time that it has been stable is not long enough)
z28com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Florida, USA
Contact:

Postby z28com » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:16 pm

That's what I keep asking her... "Why don't you want to move back?" I had to ask her like 10x in a row. She just tells me that the crime is high and when she lived there she had no money. I told her just not 5 minutes ago - I looked into her eyes and PROMISED her that she would have at least 500 Soles in her wallet at any given time. She could go shopping. We could walk around and have an absolute blast. All she has is bad memories from living there with her parents and brother. They all lived together in a single tiny room. It was like that her whole life. If we went there now, it would be totally different. I told her, "Then let's at least go there for a month and try it out." She thinks I won't like it. I dunno.
Dan Bonenberger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: penna.

Costs of Living

Postby Dan Bonenberger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:19 pm

As for Stability David, Peru has been slow and steady ( like the Tortoise).A few years ago I was visiting friends in Ecuador( they were American born). They said Ecuador was booming. There were Condo's a new marina. The American presence in Manta.Now their sweating like a chicken on the grill in KFC. Ecuador has placed new restrictions on fuel availability at the marina he uses and imposed new entry and exit requirements. The Government will not renew the lease at Manta. Drugs and crime are rampant. He is watching his investment slip away and can't do anything.I see a steady growth here and a closer alignment with the U.S. Take Care Dan
Steeler Fan
David

Postby David » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:27 pm

Z28 and Dan,

Z your wife has some real fears, and they are legitimate fears. It is hard to go back to a place where all your memories are negative.

I do think she could be flexible and take a month or two in Peru to see how things are but I do understand where she is coming from.

Dan,

Yes and I'm not knocking Peru but it is not a rock of stability either. There are places far worse off but the amount of time that Peru has been stable amounts to a heart beat in time. So I understand ones caution.

That is all.
Guest

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:35 pm

TO Z Dan And David I still can not figure out Why The Peruvians are abandoning the dollar and Argentines Are Still in to IT????? Can someone explain this Madness Here??????
David wrote:Z28 and Dan,

Z your wife has some real fears, and they are legitimate fears. It is hard to go back to a place where all your memories are negative.

I do think she could be flexible and take a month or two in Peru to see how things are but I do understand where she is coming from.

Dan,

Yes and I'm not knocking Peru but it is not a rock of stability either. There are places far worse off but the amount of time that Peru has been stable amounts to a heart beat in time. So I understand ones caution.

That is all.
User avatar
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Postby mammalu » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:37 pm

z28com wrote:That's what I keep asking her... "Why don't you want to move back?" I had to ask her like 10x in a row. She just tells me that the crime is high and when she lived there she had no money. I told her just not 5 minutes ago - I looked into her eyes and PROMISED her that she would have at least 500 Soles in her wallet at any given time. She could go shopping. We could walk around and have an absolute blast. All she has is bad memories from living there with her parents and brother. They all lived together in a single tiny room. It was like that her whole life. If we went there now, it would be totally different. I told her, "Then let's at least go there for a month and try it out." She thinks I won't like it. I dunno.


I remember you now! yes, and your wife's reluctance to return to Peru.

She must have very bad memories. Sometimes emotional scars run so deep, and unless we have not had the same experiences, we probably couldn't understand.

Some of us women are very sensitive, and carry deep emotional baggage. Most men are practical, like in your case, and can make no sense of it.

This has nothing to do with your wife, only for illustration purposes and to understand how some women assimilate situations. The case of the woman who was raped in Texas when she was a teenager, and decades later would never, ever, travelling by car would cross the state of Texas. Extreme cases, but it happens.

A couple of years ago, while on vacation in Florida, my healthy husband, who seldom gets sick, got suddenly ill just before we had our last dinner at a nice restaurant, just after the toast. We practically carried him to the car and to the Emergency Room. I never want to go back to that Restaurant (a chain). Crazy,no? for me it makes total sense, I hate that place.

Be patient! Good luck!

Mammalu
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
Guest

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:45 pm

HI Z If Your out there I put more insights to help you unfortunatley I think Mamlulu,Nature Girl And Amercacorps Have sent messages To Remy That i am spamming and a troll but they can flame me and its alright,, I know this time around maybe I made a few small mistakes,, But I am not spamming at all or trolling,, But they can flame and harras Me its alright.. If People have seen here most of my replys are on this dollar crushing in Peru.. And it hurts Me as Being AN US Citizen to see this happen,, I see lies from the media and so on Oh Peru,s Economy is getting strong but that is not true its cause of the dollar falling,, Like also why Did THE Peruvians Abandon The Dollar and Argentines NO,, I am not Spamming Here OK I want peace and Love Here And To delve depper in to this issue,, With True Sincerity,, HAPPY.... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Dan Bonenberger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: penna.

Cost of Living

Postby Dan Bonenberger » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Mr Happy Returns , For me to try to explain the tendencies or behavior of the people in Argentina is impossible. I can't explain the reasons my own countrymen do certain things. BBUUUTTT, A large group of Argentinians are of German Heritage. With there countries instability over the year they seem to align more with the U.S. than England or France. I hope I don't have to explain why. Take care Dan
Steeler Fan
User avatar
stalker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: St. Augustine

Postby stalker » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:56 pm

z28 if and when you go be sure not to make your identity public to anyone , because you might be a prime candidate for being sequestered with all the talk about money. you definately need to check the place out a little at a time. there is tons to learn!
Guest

Re: Cost of Living

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:01 pm

YEH Dan No One Can Answer Why The Dollar is getting abandoned in Peru...I just Asked MY Ex Wife Her Family does not know why Her Peruvian Friends IN Chicago do not no why,, Another friend of Mine IN San Fransisco a peruvian entina at 3.15.. Man This baffles me big time.. Can someone here put a little light on this issue? does not know why? Does Anyone know why? Last I Checked still dollar strong to the arg
Dan Bonenberger wrote:Mr Happy Returns , For me to try to explain the tendencies or behavior of the people in Argentina is impossible. I can't explain the reasons my own countrymen do certain things. BBUUUTTT, A large group of Argentinians are of German Heritage. With there countries instability over the year they seem to align more with the U.S. than England or France. I hope I don't have to explain why. Take care Dan
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:56 pm

David wrote:My mother in law says the same thing to my wife and I. She fled Peru 40 years ago and can't understand why we would want to go there.
She does not see that we are in a different financial position then she was 40 years ago.
But she has some very good points. Political instability to start with. (no the short time that it has been stable is not long enough)


I can understand taht. If you flee a country, it's hard to think of good reasons to go back. My mom's family fleed Romania about 50 years ago, my grandfather was put in prison as a traitor to the country for five years for illegally fighting people who fought against the communist regime out of Romania. They had to leave without my grandfather and went to the US, luckily he was able to join them two years later, but couldn't take out any degrees, flight logs, anything out. Left with basically the clothes on his back. Their whole family was stripped of citizenship. Decades later, I'm fighting to get Romanian citixenship, but this doesn't settle well with my grandma.

aLSO, moving to another country can be difficult. Think of the logistics, jobs, langauge, visas, housing. I've only been here four years and am trying to convince my husband to go to China or the Czech Rep. I've had a standing job offer there for years. So we would have visas and I would have a job. But what would my husband do? What about the langague? These are real concerns to think about.
z28com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Florida, USA
Contact:

Peru

Postby z28com » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Here are some pictures I took while we were visiting Lima and surrounding areas.

Click here to see photos
Guest

Re: Peru

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Cool Photos Dude.. Are you still moving here?? Now I here all of south america will abandon the dollar soon,, Maybe you should go to central america or mexico.. Again I hope you can do it here on your income man,, Keep in touch here,,, Happy....
z28com wrote:Here are some pictures I took while we were visiting Lima and surrounding areas.

Click here to see photos
z28com
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Florida, USA
Contact:

Re: Peru

Postby z28com » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:10 pm

happyreturns wrote:Cool Photos Dude.. Are you still moving here?? Now I here all of south america will abandon the dollar soon,, Maybe you should go to central america or mexico.. Again I hope you can do it here on your income man,, Keep in touch here,,, Happy....


I wish I could. My wife has over 50 cousins, uncles, aunts, etc all living in Peru. Fat chance on moving to Central America or Mexico. My wife's grandmother had a total of 21 children. That should be up there with the Guiness World's Records.

Are you serious about the USD? How do you abandon a currency? If I went to convert a dollar to a Nuevo Sole in the future, they would simply say "no"?
sans4
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: Cost of living in Peru / Relocating to Lima

Postby sans4 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm

soooo!! how did it goo? haha its been literally 10 years!, now that I think about it, I do hope someone replies its been such a long time
Wiracocha
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: Cost of living in Peru / Relocating to Lima

Postby Wiracocha » Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Have read most of the comments...all I would like to add is..." an unhappy wife = a unhappy life!!" ....no matter the country of origin.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register