Fake Kidnapping Scam in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
churritis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fake Kidnapping Scam in Peru

Postby churritis » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:34 pm

I have heard of a scam in Peru particularly in the amazon and Cuzco where some locals have made friends with foreigners just before they leave to go on a tour. They then exchange personal information like email, address and phone numbers and plan to stay in contact as friends.

Knowing the person will be on a tour for a few days a week or the longer the better the foreigner's family is then contacted in their home country and told that they've been kidnapped and that a ransom must be paid by a certain date or their daughter/son will be killed.

This is all done with the knowledge that the foreigner is uncontactable because of their jungle tour and that by the time they speak with their family the money has been paid

I dont know how often this happens or if it's a little urban myth but worth remembering when giving personal info to NEW friends

curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm

I don't know about that but I do know that when going up Cerro San Cristobal in downtown Lima, these dudes used to stage a car jacking when the bus is going back down to try to get the people on the bus to get open the door and get out to help the victims. Then the robbers would get into the bus and mug the people inside the bus!

This happened to me once when I was on the bus but thanfully the driver of the bus knew what was going on. The whole thing was just fake. The felons get in the car and start driving away only to stop at about 11 feet away when they realiz the people on the bus won't get off. I have been up there again and it hasn't happened again since the drivers of the buses know what they're up to. GOSH!
stalker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stalker » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm

curlyguy18 wrote:I don't know about that but I do know that when going up Cerro San Cristobal in downtown Lima, these dudes used to stage a car jacking when the bus is going back down to try to get the people on the bus to get open the door and get out to help the victims. Then the robbers would get into the bus and mug the people inside the bus!

This happened to me once when I was on the bus but thanfully the driver of the bus knew what was going on. The whole thing was just fake. The felons get in the car and start driving away only to stop at about 11 feet away when they realiz the people on the bus won't get off. I have been up there again and it hasn't happened again since the drivers of the buses know what they're up to. GOSH!

I think the bus drivers in Peru need to start packn, can you say UZI?
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:37 pm

There used to be a common scam in Bolivia whereby a beating would be staged when a gringo was walking by. The idea was to entice the gringo to try to intervene to "save" the "victim". Whereupon a cop would show up, threaten to involve the gringo in a legal case about the incident in order to extract a bribe.

Craig
mexico-fg

Postby mexico-fg » Mon May 11, 2009 12:36 pm

stalker wrote:
curlyguy18 wrote:I don't know about that but I do know that when going up Cerro San Cristobal in downtown Lima, these dudes used to stage a car jacking when the bus is going back down to try to get the people on the bus to get open the door and get out to help the victims. Then the robbers would get into the bus and mug the people inside the bus!

I think the bus drivers in Peru need to start packn, can you say UZI?

Oh! aren't ypu afraid? When that happens to me, OMG. I think, i wouldn't know what to do.
mruffolo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mruffolo » Mon May 11, 2009 3:02 pm

The USA has similar fake scams.

In front of a home, two people start fighting/arguing, when the homeowners step out of the front door to investigate, thieves enter the back door. The couple is distracted long enough for the thieves to make off.

Also fake accidents occur. Someone rear ends your car, then when you get out of the car, you’re robbed and or your car is stolen.

In some neighborhoods they skip the fake. You stop at a stop sign, and they jack your car.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Tue May 12, 2009 11:08 am

My dad was driving in Las Vegas, and waiting to pull out of a parking lot onto a busy street. A car stopped and waved my dad out in front of him, and as my dad pulled out, the car ran into him. When they called the police, the other driver said that my dad pulled out right in front of him without stopping. Insurance scam. What he didn't know was that my dad is an ex-cop, and took it to trial... the dude went to jail.
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Claudia1973 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 pm

Scammed. A friend hooked with a girl. She got pregnant. She told him it was his. He paid about $900 monthly over two years - like $25,000. Does DNA test - not his, but an unemployed guy's kid. My friend never got his $25k back.
curlyguy18
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby curlyguy18 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Claudia1973 wrote:Scammed. A friend hooked with a girl. She got pregnant. She told him it was his. He paid about $900 monthly over two years - like $25,000. Does DNA test - not his, but an unemployed guy's kid. My friend never got his $25k back.

I would have done the DNA thing before giving her a penny.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register