Clarification on Property Size Calculation

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Clarification on Property Size Calculation

Postby Claudia1973 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:28 pm

What is the custom in Peru when calculating the size of a home for sale? Specifically do peruvians include only inside living space, excluding patio and parking (like in the United States), or does Peru include this other space.

My husband and I just came from a new departmento advertised at 100 square meters, however, when we measured using the United States definition, the home is about 55 square meter. A jump to $1,527 per square meter from $840 per square meter value in Surco.

What is the standard definition to calculate home size to expect, if there is a standard in Peru?

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:12 pm

You have to watch out for ads. A M2 is an international measurement, the same all over the world. Good thing you measured. Most people take it at face value (the ad). Many will tell you on the forum that some ads are exaggerated. The only way to get the true measurements is to go to SUNAPR and ask the current owner for the documents/floorplan from SUNARP or like you did measure yourself.

There you will find the true measurements. Be sure to get the original docs not copies. That is why you go to SUNARP with the owner when he pull his docs.

Are you sure it did not have a second floor? :-) Duplex?

55 M2 is about half what was advertised (LOL).
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:41 pm

There are two measurements they show in the ads here, one will say M2AT - that's the area of the land. Then there will be m2AC, and that the area of construction. Since you were looking at a depa, I imagine it was strictly AC, as the terrain wouldn't be under consideration in that case.

Of course, what the individual seller may consider in the AC could very well include the parking and patios.
excaliguy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Common Areas

Postby excaliguy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:42 am

I don't know if there is a standard here or not but one thing we found when looking at apartments is that many of them, especially all the new construction included your percentage of the common areas as part of their M2 total. So say the apartment was 80 M2 but you had the common areas (stairs, lobby, elevator, etc) and you percent of that was another 20 M2 they would advertise 100 M2. We did a lot of measuring.
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Claudia1973 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks for the input.

I believe we'll measure and track interior area (as we did in the States. We'll have something to compare Lima homes to also).

Lima does not own the market on misrepresentation in advertising. I recall a new development in the States adding the garage space of 200 square feet in their advertisement.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 pm

Claudia1973 wrote:Thanks for the input.

I believe we'll measure and track interior area (as we did in the States. We'll have something to compare Lima homes to also).

Lima does not own the market on misrepresentation in advertising. I recall a new development in the States adding the garage space of 200 square feet in their advertisement.

That is a NO NO. Garage and basement shouldn't be part of the total square footage of the house. They may list it, but separately. :evil:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Claudia1973 wrote:Thanks for the input.

That why it is always better to verify through legal documents.

I have done alot of property hunting in Peru. With the exception of house and property, the apartment seem to be a little exaggerated when it come to size. That is why I go to SUNARP to verify.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register