Any tips for getting a driving license?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby naturegirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:00 am

I've just about had it with holding on for dear life, having someone try to push me out the combi door, and zig zagging combis that think that green means that they can stop until they fill up the bus and red means do whatever you want as long as you don't stop.

Intl license isn't an option for me anymore so I have to get the Peruvian one. I know that there are three sections, written, driving and medical. The medical should be a breeze.

Anyone have any tips for the written or the driving? HOw many questions are on the written? what should I study?

What about the driving part? Is it best to rent a car there? What do you have to do?

Thanks a lot!


User avatar
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby rgamarra » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:51 pm

naturegirl wrote:I've just about had it with holding on for dear life, having someone try to push me out the combi door, and zig zagging combis that think that green means that they can stop until they fill up the bus and red means do whatever you want as long as you don't stop.

Intl license isn't an option for me anymore so I have to get the Peruvian one. I know that there are three sections, written, driving and medical. The medical should be a breeze.

Anyone have any tips for the written or the driving? HOw many questions are on the written? what should I study?

What about the driving part? Is it best to rent a car there? What do you have to do?

Thanks a lot!


You could study the driving manual, but half of the questions on the test aren't even in the book. It's an educated guess at best when doing the computer exam.

As for conchan, there is an online map of the circuit. Study that and memorize the route.

DO NOT bring your own car. If you do not have a car the size of a Tico they will FAIL you on the parking portion b/c you will not be able to fit your own vehicle in their miniature spaces.

This is how they make MORE money off of you. So you will need to rent a car on-site for S/.40.

Then you sit and wait and if they call you to the left you failed. If they call you to the right, you passed.

Return to Lince, show your docs and get your license. If you have a DNI then you will not need to take a picture, they use the info they have from RENIEC.
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby stuart » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:57 pm

naturegirl wrote:I've just about had it with holding on for dear life, having someone try to push me out the combi door, and zig zagging combis that think that green means that they can stop until they fill up the bus and red means do whatever you want as long as you don't stop.

Intl license isn't an option for me anymore so I have to get the Peruvian one. I know that there are three sections, written, driving and medical. The medical should be a breeze.

Anyone have any tips for the written or the driving? HOw many questions are on the written? what should I study?

What about the driving part? Is it best to rent a car there? What do you have to do?

Thanks a lot!


As you may know, it is the Touring Club del Peru that has the monopoly on control the driving exams. They have a location in Conchan on the beach in Villa, and another in Lince, not far from Av. Arequipa on Av. Cesar Vallejo. In Conchan they handle everything. In Lince they handle only medical and written.

Medical
There are a list of authorised clinics for the medical exam.
List: http://www.mtc.gob.pe/portal/transportes/terrestre/servicios/centros_medicosl32.asp
But it is easier to do the medical and written at the same time at the MTC/Touring buildings in Lince, leaving the practical exam for the next day. At Touring Lince, the medical exam costs 40 soles, plus 5 soles for 2 carnet photos.
The medical exams test your hearing, eye sight and emotional stability. Try not to laugh at the psych questions. At the end you get a certificate. You bring this everywhere with you, with a copy.

Written
This is a computerised test. You get about an hour to answer 40 multiple choice questions of a possible 200 you have to get 30 correct or you fail. The questions are mostly simple, but there are a number of Peru-specific questions about tow-times and distances allowed from things.
A list of every possible question is found here (http://www.mtc.gob.pe/portal/banco_version_final.pdf). After you take out the deadly obvious and repetitions, you are left with about 40 to study.
Note: It took me all of 2 minutes to breeze through all the 40 questions. I didn't have a single mistake. I saw that most of the room were well into there hour of time, with multiple mistakes and many people failing. Some didn't know which was their right or left hand. FEAR FOR YOUR LIFE when driving, because after their three tries, these people will be on the roads.

Practical
This is done at Conchan. You arrive, present your docs to a window at the far left, and go over to two tables to rent your car. A good idea to do this as they rent out small ones. You can use manual or automatic, no-one cares. Renting costs 20 soles.
You then queue to enter a little track. It is narrow, small and unrealistic, like a carting track. You do a loop where you pass stop signs, traffic lights, roundabouts (traffic circles), do parallel and diagonal parking, and starting on an incline.
Make one mistake and you're history. Make no mistakes and they print out your brevete there and then, allowing you to drive home.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Postby americorps » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Isn't there a new rule that you have to show a high school diploma to get a license? If you are an expat, then would it not have to be legalized, certified and notarized ?
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Postby stuart » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Steps to follow (and Govt. palms to grease)

1.) Download the questions posted previously. Study for no less then 2 full hours.

2.) Go to Scotiabank. Ask to pay for the Touring exam. (there is one near P.Vea on Arequipa)

3.) Go to Touring Lince. At the back is the medical place. Be there no later than 9am. You have a long few hours ahead of you.

4.) Pay the 40 soles + 5 at the desk or bring your own photos. Wait to be called 3 separate times. Do the written test consisting of questions to see if you are crazy, some mazes and to draw a picture of a person (no bloody death scenes, no three legs etc). Do an eye-sight test (i have 20-20 but could barely distinguish the colour shape in the eye machine, bring glasses/contacts if you use them). Do a balance test with a nice doctor - he will ask you about urges to murder others, alcohol abuse etc and judge whether you are nuts with a brief look up and down.

5.) Get your certificate and head back around the corner to the furthest point where everyone is queuing. You will fill out a form with some details. It asks if you have had a Peruvian brevete before, and you sign a declaration that says no with your DNI (you have to write in C.E. instead)

6.) You enter a waiting room until you are called in groups in order of arrival to go to processing. To the people with the computers you bring:
Medical cert.
Bank payment recibo
The little form you filled out.
Photo copies of C.E.
Photo copy of anything that proves education

You get back you Three Strikes and You're Out slip. Here they stamp your passes and fails. You can repeat any part of the tests 3 times without having to pay to start again.

7.) Head next door and get in the queue. You eventually get to a table where the woman looks you up and down, asks for your carnet and your Three Strikes slip. She mumbles whether you want to do the simulation of real test. Sim costs S./10 btw. Take the real one because its so easy.

8.) You are assigned a compu, you have to press on the keyboard 1, 2 or 3 then Enter to answer each question. Beat my 2mins record and you win a prize. You can skip and come back to questions, questions turn red or green when answered.

9.) Stand up and get your slip back. It will say pass or fail. If fail, come back next day, if pass... you're day is almost over for now. You can go to Conchan tomorrow.

10.) Before heading home, find a Banco de la Nacion, and pay the fee to the MTC for a brevete (licencia de conducir) It is hmmm 28 soles I think, maybe 38. Dont remember.

11.) New day. Head to Conchan early, but not too much so. You have queues either way. And don't go tired pueeeesss.

12.) There are FAKE Conchan circuits next to Conchan. You pay S./5 per hour with your own car, or rent one for S./20 or rent one and a guy to guide you round the course with all its tricks for S./30. There is a really crappy one on the PanAm, use one of the others at the back. Pushy guys push you around as usual.

13.) Learn the fake conchan circuit, then when confident you can do the parallel parking etc, head to real conchan.

14.) Enter the gates with a car if someone is driving you, they have to hand over their DNI. YOU bring all your papers, and hand these in at the far window from the walk-in entrance.

15.) As you leave the window, you have two options to rent a car, both companies charge 20 soles. Choose automatic trans or manual. Head over and get your car.

16.) Drive the car around the parking lot for a few minutes, despite the angry looks of the guys who's profit you are eating into. Then go out the the gates to get into the course.

17.) Once it is your turn to be let in, hand over your papers. Once they wave you through, your test has began. People are watching you from towers.

18.) You will do all the parts of the exam, you should know them all because you practised with a guy in fake conchan. You will pass out of the circuit, give back the car and go to a waiting area.

19.) After a long wait, groups are called. If they are made to queue at the little shack window they failed. If they queue in the sun at the right, they have passed. You will wait to be called and know if you passed or failed before you are told.

20.) If you passed, you will fill out more forms, show all your documents, wait in another long queue, then get your licence.

Easy, right?
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Postby stuart » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Americorps wrote:Isn't there a new rule that you have to show a high school diploma to get a license? If you are an expat, then would it not have to be legalized, certified and notarized ?


Yes there is a new law. I didn't have to do any translation, certification or notorization. I could have fake it if I wanted to, they asked only for a copy of a fax.
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 pm

Are you the only driver on the track?
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Postby stuart » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:17 pm

naturegirl wrote:Are you the only driver on the track?


No, there are a half a dozen more at least. You will see when you go to a fake conchan.
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:27 pm

WHat's upsetting to me is that with ALL these tests, people on the roads still can't drive at all.
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Rene » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Just pay someone, my fiancee did 7 years ago...
User avatar
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am

Postby rgamarra » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:51 pm

I got called to the little shack and I was royally po'd.

So po'd that I told the old guy I didn't need his explanation and that it was a rip off b/c I know full well how to drive and park a car. (I knew I failed the parking b/c my VW Station is too big for their spaces.)

Touring in Lince ticked me off even more when they made me go through all the process of getting my international license notarized and then told me after multiple trips and S/.30 that "No, you have to do the driving exam until you pass."

They had seen the "fail" stamp on my paper but didn't bother to tell me that I had to do the driving exam until I passed.

What's really lovely is the combi driver test at Conchan. They only circle around as fast as they can. I guess if they don't hit any of the other combis they are circling around or if the combi itself doesn't tip over then they pass.

I'm equally amazed that so many people pass, yet Lima has THE most reckless drivers on the road.

Moral of the story...Stick with the International license if the Brevete isn't an absolute necessity.
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Callao

Postby Jimmy111 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 pm

And buy insurance.....
Even when it is not your fault, it is your fault when you are a gringo... :?
jamesc27
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Santiago de Surco, Lima and SF Bay Area Ca
Contact:

driving license

Postby jamesc27 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:14 pm

I just passed my conchan driving test on sat.
The day before i passed the computer test. everything written above is mostly correct expect for the obvious exaggeration of the claim of completing the test in under 2 min.

i did the medical exam and bank payments and copies the saturday past, Friday the comp test and Sat early am practiced on the sim courses for 15 soles, recommended.
I took the driving test with our 1998 nissan, not a big car, but larger than the minis they rent. It was not a problem. Just don´t bring a SUV, wagon, etc.
One thing not mentioned is to use the directional signals on the curves and roundabouts as well as the turns, you will save points.

be prepared to wait after the test and listen closely for your name, I finished the driving test at 8.50 and waited until11.45 to find out they mumbled my name and filed my passing results, then waited another 45 minutes to get my brevete.

Once again the tests and practice did not bother me, just the tramite bs and waiting, waiting, waiting
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Chiclayo

Postby iskndarbey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:36 am

Wait, a city of 8 million people has one place to do a driver's test? The DMV is known for being the single most exasperating, inefficient government body in the United States, but I think even they would realize that having only one office in, say, all of Los Angeles County would be a bridge too far. I don't really care about getting a driver's license at all, I'm just wondering how this setup is remotely logistically possible. Do the vast majority of people just bribe someone to get their license?
aqpgeo
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: Arequipa

Postby aqpgeo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:20 am

I agree with Rene. I have had 3 drivers license for 2 years each and never taken a test.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Postby markr » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 am

aqpgeo wrote:I agree with Rene. I have had 3 drivers license for 2 years each and never taken a test.


You should be utterly ashamed of yourself :lol: But for those prepared to disregard the law what is the procedure.
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: driving license

Postby stuart » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:48 am

jamesc27 wrote:I just passed my conchan driving test on sat.
The day before i passed the computer test. everything written above is mostly correct expect for the obvious exaggeration of the claim of completing the test in under 2 min.


Have a quick look at the question document I linked to, then think back to the computerized exam and the alternate answers given alongside the correct one.

You will see that if you memorise the answers given in that document, that in the exam you do not need to even read the question. You just hit 1, 2 or 3 and enter when you see the correct answer.

2 minutes to answer 40 questions give you 3 seconds for each question. Enough time to see the correct answer and hit two keys rapidly. I didn't say under two minutes, but all of two minutes.
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Postby stuart » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:51 am

aqpgeo wrote:I agree with Rene. I have had 3 drivers license for 2 years each and never taken a test.


You can't bribe for a standard 10 year one?
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:01 am

aqpgeo wrote:I agree with Rene. I have had 3 drivers license for 2 years each and never taken a test.


HOw'd you do that? intl license?
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Postby gerard » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:01 pm

I thought I'd read somewhere (maybe on the guide already on Expat) that if you'd held a driving licence from another country for 4 years you could skip the practical test. Is this no longer the case?

Gerard
jamesc27
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:37 pm
Location: Santiago de Surco, Lima and SF Bay Area Ca
Contact:

Postby jamesc27 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:33 pm

stuart wrote:
You will see that if you memorise the answers given in that document, that in the exam you do not need to even read the question. You just hit 1, 2 or 3 and enter when you see the correct answer.

2 minutes to answer 40 questions give you 3 seconds for each question. Enough time to see the correct answer and hit two keys rapidly. I didn't say under two minutes, but all of two minutes.


I don´t doubt this completely but it is highly unlikely you can select 30 correct answers without even looking at the questions. But if you avoid reading the questions, 2 minutes might be achieved, but again highlly unlikely. Furthermore it is impossible to get 40 questions right as the test stops as soon as you get 30 right.
Whatever, there is no need to rush, I took my time and got 2 wrong in 20 minutes.

But if you do want race, i definitely recommend racing on the computer at Lince instead of at the Conchan test site.
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Postby stuart » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:17 pm

jamesc27 wrote:stuart wrote:
You will see that if you memorise the answers given in that document, that in the exam you do not need to even read the question. You just hit 1, 2 or 3 and enter when you see the correct answer.

2 minutes to answer 40 questions give you 3 seconds for each question. Enough time to see the correct answer and hit two keys rapidly. I didn't say under two minutes, but all of two minutes.


I don´t doubt this completely but it is highly unlikely you can select 30 correct answers without even looking at the questions. But if you avoid reading the questions, 2 minutes might be achieved, but again highlly unlikely. Furthermore it is impossible to get 40 questions right as the test stops as soon as you get 30 right.
Whatever, there is no need to rush, I took my time and got 2 wrong in 20 minutes.

But if you do want race, i definitely recommend racing on the computer at Lince instead of at the Conchan test site.


I was worried, I thought the test might be tricky and memorised the answers beforehand.

On each screen, the three answers stood out more than the questions and I read them first. I knew what the questions being asked were just from looking at the answers because I had read in question dozens of times beforehand. I got 30 right.
I had a very good reason to rush through. My experience went like this:


I entered through the door after a while in the queue. There was one woman behind the desk who was giving pass/fail stamps to others huddling around the desk but whose job it also was to assign computers. She was handing back DNIs and slips when I got to the desk... I waited about 3 minutes I suppose, and sat down on the empty chair.

Finally she looked at me, or rather looked and my carnet and slip.

"Desea ust eh umumumumumumumu", she mumbled in monotone. I replied "Como?"

She repeated in the same tone, under here breath. I couldn't make out a word and said I couldn't understand.

She then slammed down my papers huffed, finally made eye contact with me. Patronisingly slowly she asked me, "Hablas castellano?". I said yes. She asked me again if I was sure. I was.

She explained there was a simulation that I could take. I knew about this and said I wanted to do the real one straight off.

She asked me if I would understand the test. Pissed off, I just said "SI" again.

"Maquina tres", she said, waving her hand. I walked over to number 3, someone was there halfway through the test. She watched me walk back.

"TRE-CE" she said loudly.

So I showed that @$%! who understands the test. She had a wonderful confused look on her face when I wandered back over to get my pass stamp after only two minutes. I bet she was sure the gringo had failed.

So THAT was my motivation.

:wink:
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:51 am

gerard wrote:I thought I'd read somewhere (maybe on the guide already on Expat) that if you'd held a driving licence from another country for 4 years you could skip the practical test. Is this no longer the case?

Gerard


Yes, but you have to have an intl driving license and a CE:
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Postby gerard » Mon May 04, 2009 2:13 pm

I've just done the medical part of the driving licence application and thought I'd write down what happened for future reference. I speak next to no Spanish so my wife did all the talking.

1. Hand over my carné and fill in a form. Pretty basic stuff such as name, address etc. The agent wasn't too sure about my carné, but after some discussion decided they could accept it. Probably the first time she'd seen one as there aren't many expats in SJL.

2. Hearing and eyesight test. Put on some headphones and lift left or right hand to indicate which side the noise comes from. Read the smallest letters on an eye chart. Identify some colours. Identify some shapes. Identify which signs appear to be closer (the test is done looking through a stereoscope so there is depth). All easy stuff.

3. Psychometric test. As a foreigner I got to do a reduced test. My wife had to do some true/false questions and some sort of intelligence test also. I just had to copy some shapes (circle next to a triangle, square next to a circle etc), draw a person and find the route out of some mazes. My 4 year old could have done it. I'm evidently sane enough to drive here, although that may not be saying much.

4. Medical test. Blood pressure. Listen to heart and lungs. Stand up and put your arms out, without falling over. Put our arms out and bring your fingers in to touch, with your eyes closed. Lift a very small dumb bell with each arm. Again, my 4 year old could pass.

5. Have photo taken and collect document. Cost was 48 Soles.

We've just been told the regulations exam can be done in English, so hopefully I'll be taking that later this week as it takes several days for the medical exam papers to work through the system. We're still in discussions about the practical test. The 2009 Brevete clearly says that if you hold a licence from another country they have an agreement with then there is no need to take the practical test, but on the telephone they appear less certain.

Gerard
Kamon
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:35 am

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby Kamon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:56 am

This is a short version of the huge post I just wrote, then just lost, with lots of detailed additions to this thread - damn wonky internet connection...

1. Thanks to all previous posters for their accurate and detailed info. I just completed my licence in Lima (despite my limited Spanish) by following the steps described earlier in the thread.

2. The computer testing office in Lince is closed on Saturdays.

3. Queues weren't too bad weekday early afternoons in Lince.

3. About a quarter of the questions on the computer test were new to me and not things I had met on the online simulation. The opening screen of the test allows you to change the language. (I didn't and don't know how good the translated Q's are.) You can't retake the test on the same day - so make sure you pass it first time! You can use a bi-lingual dictionary during the test.

4. I didn't need to prove that I had completed highschool! (However, an Australian colleague did have to do this with legalised translated documents in late 2009.)

5. At least for UK licence holders, it is possible to avoid the practical driving test that you have to do at Conchan. I had my UK driving licence "verified" in the same office in Lince where you register for the computer test. You require 2 standard photocopies of your Carnet, your UK photocard licence and the paper counterpart. They examine the originals but don't need to keep them. It takes three days from when you submit the photocopies and the person responsible is Senora Maria Garay. They weren't interested in my international licence at all.

6. Once you have done the other steps and had the copies of your overseas licence verified, you pop around the corner, fill in one more form and they issue the Peruvian driving card there and then. Amazing.
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby euroman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 pm

It's seems to be more hassle to get a licence in Lima.

In Tarapoto, I payed S./ 65 to the municipalidad. And fill out a form. Because I don`t have a CE I had to get a copy of my passport and a constancia with my address. (S./ 5)
Then S./ 25 at the medical center for the medical test. It was a hearing and eyetest. Then I had to fill out some kind of medical questionaire. And then a test to find out which blood group you have.

Then I had to go on Wednesday and Thursday to the Charlas from 2 to 4pm. After the last class on Thurday you have to sit and written exam. You have to score at least 16 of the 20 points. I had 17.
Then I had to go for the driving test on Friday. I had to drive eights around traffic cones. Passed it first time.
They gave me a temporary driving licence for 3 days and the 3rd day, the licence was ready.
danielkryu
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby danielkryu » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 am

FYI, cost of renting vehicle in Peru is not cheap.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby MarcoPE » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Just wondering if there was anyone with factual updates to getting a driver's license. I have my Florida license and according to seemingly the most knowledgable character at the Pan American Touring facility, I just need:
1) my valid Florida license,
2) a print-out from the internet (Florida DMV) showing my license is currently valid
3) proof of education

then, I need to complete the medical and psych evaluations (successfully we hope) and pass the written exam (also successfuly we hope).

However, I am always amazed at the complete differences in information from person to person, place to place, etc so I was hoping to get some more recent experiences. Thanks!!
User avatar
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am
Contact:

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby rama0929 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:31 pm

danielkryu wrote:FYI, cost of renting vehicle in Peru is not cheap.


I imagine that it wouldn't be. People in the US beat the hell out of rentals, I could only imagine how people do things down in Peru.
RobB
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:43 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby RobB » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:11 pm

MarcoPE wrote:Just wondering if there was anyone with factual updates to getting a driver's license. I have my Florida license and according to seemingly the most knowledgable character at the Pan American Touring facility, I just need:
1) my valid Florida license,
2) a print-out from the internet (Florida DMV) showing my license is currently valid
3) proof of education

then, I need to complete the medical and psych evaluations (successfully we hope) and pass the written exam (also successfuly we hope).

However, I am always amazed at the complete differences in information from person to person, place to place, etc so I was hoping to get some more recent experiences. Thanks!!


I, too, am amazed at the range of comments in this thread. The info you have is totally correct. Just do that and you'll be golden. I can't explain all the noise in this thread. It may have to do with not speaking Spanish. Peru is an up and coming 3rd world country, but it is not focused on helping English speakers get along here (unless you're free-spending tourists, then, of course!). My experience of getting a drivers license here in Peru was very impressive. Very efficient, well-organized and thorough. In the US I always took a test on paper. Here it was by computer and you knew with every question whether it was right or wrong and how you were doing. I also got my license right-away in person, not waiting weeks for it to arrive in the mail while I drove around with a piece of paper as a makeshift license. Don't listen to the crybabies.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby MarcoPE » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 pm

RobB wrote:The info you have is totally correct. Just do that and you'll be golden. I can't explain all the noise in this thread.


Thanks RobB. I guess in defense of the "noise," when I went to the Pan American location, the first guy we asked (shockingly, he was the Information Guy) said they only accepted licenses from Spain :shock: ... and I knew that was wrong; but as is so common here, the true answers are rarely easy to find.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 am

Great to see this thred is still bouncing around. Each time I go back to the uk I renew my international so have not had the need, but my visits are becoming less frequent and so am going through the proccess. Passed the medical and have been studying Stuart´s list. Spend hours doing the simulation on line. I am still not clear on the need for the practicle test. I hold both full UK, motorbike, car, medium goods vehicles and current International licence. Infornation is non existent when you ring the Touring Club.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Re:

Postby Remigius » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 am

naturegirl wrote:WHat's upsetting to me is that with ALL these tests, people on the roads still can't drive at all.


Ha! Just spotted this thread and this one had me chuckle. Basically, any idiot at any time can do their driving exam (even after driving a car 2x) and since you're on a circuit (nothing compared to driving in the city), the biggest threat comes from other drivers doing their exam at the same time you do. If you get hit, regardless if it's your fault on not, you've failed your exam. My sister-in-law tried to get her license after 3 lessons and she was pulled over from the circuit for being "a danger to everything that breathes air." 2 lessons later she tried again and passed. She even parked her car badly, but since another girl hit another car the supervisors were distracted. Needless to say her car now looks like the moon's surface. It's all a matter of "luck."

The only way you can make people drive correctly is by having them go to an official driving school with a teacher who actually cares what you're doing and that for at least 30 to 40 hours until your teacher tells you you're ready for the exam. After that you need a capable police force that'll actually correct you if you do things wrong.
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby gerard » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 am

My experience with a UK licence was that I went to the trouble of getting an International version and they didn't need it. I just did the theory, showed them my UK licence and they said OK (after looking in a very thick book). I seem to recall also taking a copy of my higher eductaion certifcate (not translated) which they also weren't too bothered about but might have glanced out.

My wife also managed to get out of doing the practical even though her UK licence had her married surname on it but she uses her Peruvian name here by showing them a copy of our marriage certificate. She had no International licence, just a UK one.
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby rubble » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:54 am

Took the test this week and here are a few comments.
Had to share the circuit with drivers taking their A3 licence - HGV/lorries - so slowed things down as the going forward/reversing part of the test was on a shared part of the circuit. The same examiner took both tests.
I took the test on a Monday. Got there as advised at 7.45. No instructor or examiner turned up until 10.15 - apparently Monday is a bad day because it's the day after the weekend(!) and they also start the week with a mass. About 25 of us were hanging around the circuit until they arrived.
Some of the waitng applicants were shouting instructions to the driver taking the test. The examiner couldn't hear as he was up in his box. His assistant on the ground told off those waiting so a 'cunning plan' was called for.....the remaining drivers swapped mobile numbers so they could ring the person driving if he or she was about to hit the cones during reversing! One driver was doing really well when he suddenly smashed into the cone and its wooden stand! When he got back to the start he explained that the sound of his phone going off had suprised him and he missed the brakes!
One man - the know-all who was dishing out advice to all and sundry (there's always one) made the most telling comment. When he was told to return to the start point - having failed for not stopping at the pedestrian crossing - he announced "This is stupid. No-one has to use these rules in the street". Sadly he was greeted with a chorus of approval.
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby Remigius » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

rubble wrote:When he was told to return to the start point - having failed for not stopping at the pedestrian crossing - he announced "This is stupid. No-one has to use these rules in the street". Sadly he was greeted with a chorus of approval.


In general, people are sad and hypocrite individuals. They think: the rules do not apply to me, they apply to others, because I know what I'm doing. If they hit someone on a pedestrians crossing, they'll be pointing the finger at the pedestrian, but if in the same situation someone they love gets killed, they'll try to lynch the driver.
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby stuart » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

Remigius wrote:
rubble wrote:When he was told to return to the start point - having failed for not stopping at the pedestrian crossing - he announced "This is stupid. No-one has to use these rules in the street". Sadly he was greeted with a chorus of approval.


In general, people are sad and hypocrite individuals. They think: the rules do not apply to me, they apply to others, because I know what I'm doing. If they hit someone on a pedestrians crossing, they'll be pointing the finger at the pedestrian, but if in the same situation someone they love gets killed, they'll try to lynch the driver.


Continuing that line of thought... the more pedestrians mown down, and the more drivers lynched, the less hypocritical individuals there are. Essentially the problem should take care of itself. What am I missing? :)
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby Kelly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:45 am

That for each one gone, there's 5 more born. :wink:
Remigius
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby Remigius » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 am

stuart wrote:Continuing that line of thought... the more pedestrians mown down, and the more drivers lynched, the less hypocritical individuals there are. Essentially the problem should take care of itself. What am I missing? :)


You could continue. Pedestrian mowed down, driver lynched, lynchers to jail, lynchers get out but criminal records prevents them from holding a job, released lynchers rob and kill people to get money, released lynchers are lynched by an angry mob, etc. Another reason not to vote for Keiko. If she'd introduce the death penalty, she'll break an effective cycle.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby seb2010 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 am

Continuing with this thread....I've come to the conclusion that after 3 years of driving with my US license and International license that it's time to get my Peruvian drivers license. I am absolutely terrified of this process even with Stuart's excellent explanations. Has anyone with poor Spanish skills taken the written exam and passed? I'm worried about studying....I can't imagine there are English guides and I can't imagine that the English translations of the tests are any good. Can someone comment about that?

I'm more worried about the written test than anything.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 am

If it is of any help I have copied the entire 200 randon questions taken from the government web site, compiled and translated them in to English and prepared a PDF. Pim me and I am very happy to provide a copy.
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby gerard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 am

I did! Just get the official set of questions (personally I'd stick to Spanish) and memorise a key word in each along with the answer. The actual exam was far easier than I expected given that you can skip questions you're not sure of and only need to get 30 out of 40.

I ended up skipping about 7 after getting a couple wrong and got my 30 without having to sweat over the 7 skipped ones.

I also used the on-line simulator and some of the street guides, but they both contained errors so in the end I stuck to the official question set.
User avatar
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 685
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Lima
Contact:

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby stuart » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:58 pm

gerard wrote:I did! Just get the official set of questions (personally I'd stick to Spanish) and memorise a key word in each along with the answer. The actual exam was far easier than I expected given that you can skip questions you're not sure of and only need to get 30 out of 40.

I ended up skipping about 7 after getting a couple wrong and got my 30 without having to sweat over the 7 skipped ones.

I also used the on-line simulator and some of the street guides, but they both contained errors so in the end I stuck to the official question set.


I agree... memorize a key word or two from each question in Spanish, then when you take the test you don't even have to read the questions. Position one hand on the numbers then hit a number and click next. The list of two hundred questions are essentially 100 questions written backwards and forwards.

Personally I memorized the answers and didn't have to look up at the questions except for one or two.
seb2010
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby seb2010 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:30 pm

Thank you very much for the support :)
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Tarapoto

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby euroman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:56 pm

In the provinces... you buy a driving licence.

A legal driving licence can be bought for around 100 soles. Depending of the municipalidad you are in.
This is normal procedure.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 am

stuart wrote:
gerard wrote:I did! Just get the official set of questions (personally I'd stick to Spanish) and memorise a key word in each along with the answer. The actual exam was far easier than I expected given that you can skip questions you're not sure of and only need to get 30 out of 40.

I ended up skipping about 7 after getting a couple wrong and got my 30 without having to sweat over the 7 skipped ones.

I also used the on-line simulator and some of the street guides, but they both contained errors so in the end I stuck to the official question set.


I agree... memorize a key word or two from each question in Spanish, then when you take the test you don't even have to read the questions. Position one hand on the numbers then hit a number and click next. The list of two hundred questions are essentially 100 questions written backwards and forwards.

Personally I memorized the answers and didn't have to look up at the questions except for one or two.


The basic idea is to have an understanding of the laws not just pass the test.



In the provinces... you buy a driving licence. A legal driving licence can be bought for around 100 soles. Depending of the municipalidad you are in.
This is normal procedure.


Euroman where are you coming from?
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby markr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 am

adrian Thorne wrote:
Euroman where are you coming from?


He is coming from Belgium :lol: And what a fine ambasador for the country he is.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:46 am

markr wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:
Euroman where are you coming from?


He is coming from Belgium :lol: And what a fine ambasador for the country he is.


Mark I had one or two set backs, including renewing my CE., but am now ready to go. The Certificate from DVLA was the easy part. One hour and a two minute telephone call. The Cert de Res. is now being handled by the Municipal. Four days and I now have the paper. Good news it is free (Gratis). The medical was easy, even with a frozen shoulder, and taking the wrong glasses with me. Couldn´t see a thing and the examiner suggested I have a new eye test. Passed with flying colours. I am now off to the Touring Club early next week.
I will take 100 with me in case I fail.

Thank you for all your help

Adrian
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby markr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:09 am

adrian Thorne wrote:
markr wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:
Euroman where are you coming from?


He is coming from Belgium :lol: And what a fine ambasador for the country he is.


Mark I had one or two set backs, including renewing my CE., but am now ready to go. The Certificate from DVLA was the easy part. One hour and a two minute telephone call. The Cert de Res. is now being handled by the Municipal. Four days and I now have the paper. Good news it is free (Gratis). The medical was easy, even with a frozen shoulder, and taking the wrong glasses with me. Couldn´t see a thing and the examiner suggested I have a new eye test. Passed with flying colours. I am now off to the Touring Club early next week.
I will take 100 with me in case I fail.


Thank you for all your help



Adrian


Adrian.
Good luck. I'm just about to leave home and go south to Conchan, my wife is doing her simulated test this morning.
I think she's after moral support. I'm going on the hope of finding some sunshine and a cold beer.
User avatar
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Sol De La Molina

Re: Any tips for getting a driving license?

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:42 am

Adrian.
Good luck. I'm just about to leave home and go south to Conchan, my wife is doing her simulated test this morning.
I think she's after moral support. I'm going on the hope of finding some sunshine and a cold beer.


Mark Good luck to your wife. She is very bubbly and will pass with flying colours. Enjoy the beer.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register