Introduce Yourself!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Kelly

Introduce Yourself!

Postby Kelly » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:11 pm

We seem to have a lot of new and interesting members joining the forum. So we thought it would be great to have a place where folks could come and introduce themselves and say just a little bit about why they're here, where they're staying and such.

All you 'old timers' are free to introduce yourselves here again, too - so when the new folks show up, they can take a quick read and figure out who the crazy one's are. :wink:

I'll start -

I'm Kelly, I'm married to Arturo and have been in Peru since April 2004. I've lived in Surquillo, Lima most of this time, but am making a move to Miraflores, Lima in the next week. We have 2 sons - David, 12 and Franco, 10. Arturo runs a drywall and home repair business, and I teach English in private classes.

We've met several delightful people through this forum, and hope to meet many more :)

Christian Jessen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Christian Jessen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Sounds like a good idea - I'm one of the "new folks" around here, so I'll grab the chance to write a bit about myself, and give an introduction.

I was travelling through on my way to Central America, when I decided to spend a week in Lima. I kept meeting more and more people, got alot of good friends, and by the end of the week, I even had a look at some business opportunities for my Danish Company here in Lima. After another week more about working (researching) on the ideas and less about partying, I decided to give it a shot in Lima.

So now I am living in Miraflores, and currently working on starting my business up from here. I love the city, and I really look forward to my time here. While you get so many "bad expressions" from people writing about their problems with Peru on the Expat forum, I still find it much more interesting than living in Europe.

I am also writing a blog, where you will be able to follow my business-adventure in Peru. You can visit it here:
Christian Jessen - A dane starting business in Lima, Peru[/url]
HotinLima

New in Lima

Postby HotinLima » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi, I agree thats a great way for new people to get to meet some of the better established ones shall I say... From reading many of the forums there seem to be a minority of regulars that enjoy directing comments at new users, this can be somewhat off-putting let alone intimidating when in a strange country and knowing very few people.

Anyway, I have moved here a few weeks ago from England and now intend to remain here permanently with my fiance, we plan to marry later in the year but will remain here in Lima.

I have just started teaching English her in Lima with a company that teaches various levels of English to business's, much easier than dealing with rowdy energetic students I find!

Other than my intended and her family I know virtually no-one in Lima and being a sociable person, enjoy meeting people and will talk to anyone. But this is a little difficult given my limited Spanish vocabulary!
Hope to meet some sincere people that eventually will become friends, but it seems that everything and everyone here has to be treated with suspicion which is very different from what I am used to.

But despite all the negative comments and posts that seem to rare up so frequently on these threads, I still find Lima one of the nicest, warmest and most hospitable countries I have visited, and for those that have nothing positive to say, maybe they should consider exercising their right to silence???

I personally look forward to many years here in the sun.

Paul
MelissaM

Postby MelissaM » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and am very glad to have found it. I have read quite a lot of useful information. Actually, I am not yet an expat in Peru, but probably will be in the near future.

I met my boyfriend about a year ago when he was working here in the States. Life has taken him back home to Lima, and I may be following soon. I will be experiencing Peru for the first time next week when I come for my first visit. I am really looking forward to seeing his city and meeting his family (although that is a bit intimidating itself !).

Thank you for providing a welcoming resource for people like me. My Spanish is fundamental on a good day, so a useful English language resource is wonderful. I knew nothing about Peru and reading this forum has made me feel much better about possibly making it home.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:09 pm

Warm welcomes to the three of you. Hope to get the chance to meet you soon at one of the various get-togethers.

Melissa - where in Florida are you from? I'm originally from Cape Canaveral.
MelissaM

Postby MelissaM » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:47 pm

Kelly wrote:Melissa - where in Florida are you from? I'm originally from Cape Canaveral.

Thank you for your welcome Kelly. I live in Celebration - the town that Disney built.
brissa18
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby brissa18 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:23 am

Hi ...my name is Cecilia and I am from Lima but lived 15 years in Florida and returned just last November. I am enjoying the wonderful gastronomy of my country and its beautiful landscape and trying to get used to the "traffic" of LIma. Since arrives I have been trying to open me step and I am now incurring in the sale of a Colombia coffee brought in cubes. I hope to have friends to practice my English and also the Expats get the chance to practice their Spanish with me. Thank you
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:42 pm

Welcome to the forum, Cecilia. :)

What is it about Florida, we're all moving to Peru! :lol:
libra77

Introduce Yourself

Postby libra77 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi,

my name is Dee, I'm 31 and I have been in Lima 2 months now. Just got married to my Peruvian boyfriend and I'm living in Cercado di Lima/Pueblo Libre.

It's great to know that there are others out there like myself. :D

Are there any more expat nights coming up?
Patty

Postby Patty » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Hello my name is Patricia I am from Lima as well, i was living in Australia for more than 4 years, got married to an aussie over there and had 2 beautiful kids. We all come to Peru last year, we planned to live here for quite a while. Currently i am living just with my kids at my parents house.

I work for an Australian Study and Immigration Agency as an education agent so if it is somebody or you know somebody who is interested just let me know, i will be more than happy to help you.

Im very glad to participate in this forum since i am able to "know more about my country" reading about different topics from people with a different backgroung and point of view and at the same time being able to contribute a little bit from my own experience as a peruvian.
brissa18
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby brissa18 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Thank you Kelly.....I was just very happy living in Florida, it was a wonderful experience...It's a beautiful State with any kind of diversity cultures....I missed it a lot but I am glad of all the remembrance I took with me when I decided to return to my Country....
latina_822
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby latina_822 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 am

Hello Everyone,

I am Mariella, Peruvian married to a German but currently living in Shanghai-China. We plan to move to Peru in a couple of years. We have a 02 year old daughter Leticia. I left Peru 05 years ago but i try to divide myself between visiting my in-laws in Germany and my relatives in Peru every year.
I am quite open-minded and direct (not so good sometimes though).

Thank you Kelly for starting this topic.
you don't know how love comes to your life but you know that you need someone to be with you forever.
melinda.mithka

howdy and greetings

Postby melinda.mithka » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:39 am

hello all
after many years of desiring to be done with the states .. the last couple of years have amassed a series of synchronicities within and without me that have now brought this evolution about for me, including a very dear new (also expat) friend in urubamba who has been in peru for 14 years.

i am currently in a cusco homestay and taking spanish lessons for several weeks; at the very strong recommendation of my friend i might add :) :)

my ultimate settling here will be in ollantaytambo or urubamba in order to be of service to a wonderful woman there and her Living Heart organization. ( http://www.livingheartperu.org/bg.htm )

i am very very interested in learning up to date info about the Rentista visa as i believe i can qualify and have no desire of spending much time at all out of Peru.

Delighted to be in the sacred valley and very blessed indeed to have been drawn here.

not all who wander are lost
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 am

What a nice group of Expats! Welcome to the Forum!

Besides Christian and Paul, I see many new Expat Ladies! Arriba las Mujeres! :lol: :wink:

Maria
a.k.a No somos 'machos', pero somos 'muchas" :lol:
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
rozzy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rozzy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Patty wrote:Hello my name is Patricia I am from Lima as well, i was living in Australia for more than 4 years, got married to an aussie over there and had 2 beautiful kids. We all come to Peru last year, we planned to live here for quite a while. Currently i am living just with my kids at my parents house.

I work for an Australian Study and Immigration Agency as an education agent so if it is somebody or you know somebody who is interested just let me know, i will be more than happy to help you.

Im very glad to participate in this forum since i am able to "know more about my country" reading about different topics from people with a different backgroung and point of view and at the same time being able to contribute a little bit from my own experience as a peruvian.
H

Hi Patty my name is Roslyn,,im Australian....where is the Agency you work for.. im interested
Regards Roslyn :D
australiano-peruano

Postby australiano-peruano » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:06 am

Hi everyone,

Great to see so many people that have an understanding of what makes Peru such a special place in the world!! To put it mildly!

My name is Antony and I moved to Peru back in 2002 and fell in love with the country. Where am I from? Excellent question, originally Australian - but grew up in Canada & the States for quite awhile. I think that I must have been a latino in a past life or something like that - because my latino friends are often shocked about how much I remind them of a latino in many ways ie. my passion for life in general etc. Anyways, enough of me.

No longer in Peru just at the moment, but doing everything in my power to move back as soon as is possible. I love Peru with a passion, but can totally understand the frustrations that people feel at times (even after being there for quite awhile). Of course, there are always positives and negatives of living anywhere.

However, I must say that the positives outweight the negatives by a long-shot. It is a question of being more cautious in certain situations and understanding how things work - I guess. But the food, the people, the culture, the history, the passion for living that Peruvians have etc - just to mention a few things - are things that keep me coming back.

Anyways, nice to meet you all and look forward to chatting with you more online.

Cheers,
Antony :D
Jaimie

Postby Jaimie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:46 am

Hi,
My name is Jaimie and I only joined today :D

I was born in Peru (to British parents) many many moons ago but left shortly after my father died and have been living in Scotland ever since.

Now some 32 years later I have decided I wish to return home. Having left at a young age my spanish is not so good, but I am sure I could pick it up again as it was my first language!

My husband is Scottish and he probably wishes more than I do to relocate to Peru so fingers crossed and with some guidance from any of you in the know, I should hopefully be there sometime this year!

It has been lovely to read all about you and your various situations.
Patty

Postby Patty » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi Roslyn

The Agency i work for is located in Miraflores, Calle Gral. Recavarren 103 Oficina 1101, this is at the end of the 4 block of Pardo Avenue (it is the same block of Banco de Credito). My phone number 4475678. I will be my pleasure to talk to you :) .
rozzy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rozzy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:55 am

Patty wrote:Hi Roslyn

The Agency i work for is located in Miraflores, Calle Gral. Recavarren 103 Oficina 1101, this is at the end of the 4 block of Pardo Avenue (it is the same block of Banco de Credito). My phone number 4475678. I will be my pleasure to talk to you :) .

Thanks Patty
Thankyou so much for replying to my question,ill be intouch
Cheers
Roslyn :D
hellcord

Hello everyone :)

Postby hellcord » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:23 am

I'm Calin, 27, from Romania. I'm very glad that I found this forum, since I've recently decided I would like to move to Peru :)

Romania has very nice places as well, the economy is pretty good and we're in the EU so it's easy to travel to many places without Visa, but over the past months I discovered a passion for things like dmt and other magic herbs and substances, which are illegal here.

So since I don't want to cause any trouble, am a working and adventurous individual and I like changes and new experiences, figured it's probably time to pick up and move to a place where things like ayahuasca are perfectly legal, and have a good long tradition of spiritual use. And that's how I ended up considering Peru.

I'm sure some of you have made this move that I'm thinking about doing, and could share some really good advice. So once again, nice to be here :)
mjcole
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mjcole » Fri May 01, 2009 9:27 am

Hi All,

My name is Mike and last year I met the most wonderful and sweet Peruvian girl at Starbucks in Miraflores and since then, we have become engaged to be married. Unfortunatley, I am currently living in the US (Tampa, Florida) but am trying to meet new people and network in hopes of finding new friends as well as potential resources and connections to be able to move to Lima sometime soon. Unfortunate as well, my Spanish ability is rather poor but I am trying to learn :D

Mike
lestat711
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice Idea

Postby lestat711 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:54 am

Hi, I am Rod and have been a member for a few months. I first traveled to Peru in 2007 and fell in love with the country, its people and culture. I am now in the process of trying to figure out the best way to spend most of the year in Lima with excursions to other parts of the world (I just returned from Thailand/Cambodia last Friday). I have noted some good advice here and find this a good resource when I am looking for information.

For now I am living in Barranco which I love. WHo knows what the future will bring.

Is there anyone else here who is trying to stay in Peru on a Tourist Visa vs a Rentista Visa. I would like to hear from you and find out your experiences with immigration coming and going so much.
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member

living in Peru

Postby pingouin59 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi,

My name is Gerard. My dream has always been to live in a Latin American country and since I met my beautiful Princesa, My attention has been focused on Peru and lima where I spent 3 unforgetable weeks in her company last february. I am French and soon an American citizen, separated and soon divorced, I have lived in the States for 8 years, ready to marry my Princesa. I don't know how long it will take to go through all the tramites but if it takes too long for her to come here, i will go and spend some time with her in Lima. I have been a teacher for a long time and I am planning to take the TEFL certification sometimes and somewhere this summer so I could be marketable either in the US or Peru. I have two teenager sons who live with their mother here in Greenville. If it weren't for them, I would definitely move to Peru for good.

Thank you for giving me the oportunity to introduce myself

Gerard
Jess

Postby Jess » Fri May 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi!!!

My name is Jessica. I recently moved to Lima and will be residening here for 6 months. My job has sent me here to work on a speical project. I am from Miami and I have a hispanic background, a mix between Colombian and Dominican.

I am looking to find differetn and exciting things to do in Lima and connect with tohers. I would love to get together to meet some of you and start getting out in the city.

Let me know of any events or outings.

Jess
Jess
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Fri May 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Wow! It's so great to see so many new people showing up. Please don't be shy about speaking up in the other threads and asking for information. It's what we're all here for.

Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible!
ChocolateAddict

Hello!

Postby ChocolateAddict » Fri May 01, 2009 6:33 pm

Hello everyone - I'm Melissa and I am moving to Miraflores starting on May 9th. I'm from the New Jersey area - the Philadelphia suburbs. I visited Peru in March and fell in love with the country! I am attending El Sol language school for a few months, and then trying to land a position teaching English.

I'm planning on attending the ACAP night at Como Agua Para Chocolate on May 15th.......anyone else going?

Nice to meet you all!
naturegirl

Re: Hello!

Postby naturegirl » Fri May 01, 2009 8:14 pm

ChocolateAddict wrote: I am attending El Sol language school for a few months, and then trying to land a position teaching English.!

El Sol is a good school.

If you're looking for info about teaching English, let me know. I can help
stephito

Introduction

Postby stephito » Sat May 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Hello all
I am American y me esposa es Peruana. She has gotten the itch to move back to Peru. We are both 54 years old and are working hard to save for the move. Probably wont be for another year though as we want to have enough to survive on if no Employment can be found.
We both have the entrepenuer spirit and may start our own company.
Anyway it's nice to see you all conversing and appear to be building a bond and relationship amongst each other; and something i to wish to partake in.
drdave

Postby drdave » Sat May 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Greetings,
My name is David and I currently reside in in Birmingham, AL.
I have decided that I am do for a major change scenery, I have lived in the Southeast US for nearly 50 years and I am ready to make a radical move.

My wife of 16 years passed 1/08 and I have been trying to decide what to do to bring the "New" feel back to living and totally new surroundings seems to fit the bill.

I have been researching and Iquitos sounds like a good destination, any residents present?

I am drawing disability (enough to live on) from a wicked motorcycle crash in '96 but even after a knee and shoulder replacement I get around very well and you can't see the scars all of the time. ;^)

I am looking for advise on getting cleared for entry, my Spanish is as old and rusty as I am but I it will suffice. I would also like to find some prices on housing and expenses in Iquitos, I have been reading around here for a couple of days and saw a lot of older posts concerning this topic from the mountainous regions but I am interested in getting nearer the rainforest.

I like the community feel of the forums and will to get to know my around in short order.

Namaste...
Dave
gred

Postby gred » Tue May 05, 2009 9:32 am

hi everyone
I am greg
I come from france and it's been 3 years that I live partime of the year in Lima.I am an artist painter and live from my sellings in farnce where I go back each summer.
This forum is great and very useful , I am glad knowing others foreign people and share ideas , tips and advices .
I will be glad to help anyone new with my experience of Peru
fell free
see yall
Adventurous.1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sometimes Goodbye is a second chance!

Postby Adventurous.1 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:27 pm

HI, my name is also David, I'm 48, and this is why I'm here.
When your dream comes true and it’s not quite what you had planned… what would you do?
Well… after careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I do not want to live here anymore,
not even in this hemisphere!.
There is a wanderlust in my soul that moving across town, or even across a few state lines won’t lose, it is time for me to fly. New people, new ideas, bright lights and fresh experiences are just around the corner of my calendar.
I heard someone say something the other day about “living outside the accepted social norm”, I have lived there most of my life and see little reason to stop now.
Life is but a game, all of our lives we are chasing our own personal DOC with little thought of how limited time really is. If you don’t experience new things now and try to stay young and alive, you get old and DIE!
I will not go quietly.
Def Lepard said it best, “it' s better to burn out than to fade away”.
I want something that is different and makes me glad to be alive again. I have watched documentaries on SA forever and always thought it was singularly beautiful but was too far from the world I knew. Now the world I know holds little for me and I am at a place in my life where, for the first time, no one else is depending on me!
That my friend, is a very liberating thing.
I will be homesick, I have been there before and I survived it then too. It passes quickly and the more involved you are in something the easier it is and I intend to stay busy learning Spanish and hanging out on the Pacific beaches, for a couple of months at least, then dive into the Rainforest of God for another couple of months. The early part of my adult life was spent on the great rivers in North America and I am truly looking forward to watching the Amazon roll and eddy beneath me, I can’t wait!.
I will still maintain a net presence, as always. The web cam is already packed and the new Yahoo addy is; [email protected]
I will be posting pics of new friends, the mountains, Inca ruins, Lima cityscapes, the Pacific coast and the Amazon jungle, by the album, to my blog and FaceBook.
The hardest thing for me about this is telling my daughter I'm leaving, she’s not a child anymore but she’s still my little girl. Her hugs I will miss most of all.
I will dearly miss my son’s companionship, his wit and his sense of humor.
He is my favorite sounding board, my confidante and my brother in arms.
I had originally wanted to leave on August 6 to give me ample time to tie up any loose ends and stash mad cash before taking the “leap”, but, I think may go a month earlier than that.
Patience has never been my forte. ;^)
Life is short… regrets are eternal.
David
Last edited by Adventurous.1 on Wed May 06, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Zietgiest :^0

Do or do not, there is no try
- Yoda-
edwin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby edwin » Tue May 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Good luck David. From your write up (love the bit about the Amazon, it was pretty significant for me also) you are definitely coming to the right place. Your son and daughter will be missed, but they will respect and learn from your adventurism. and a father who refuses to lay down and be old. Welcome to the club, you will find many of the same elk as yourself.
SionCablo

Introduction

Postby SionCablo » Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Hello, I'm Sion, 32, from England. I have been in Lima for two days. I am looking for a teaching job!

Just to say thank you for the information. It helped me choose whether to buy a single or return airfare.
I came from Madrid on a oneway ticket with AirComet and I didn't have any problems. The only problem is finding the money to return!

On my first night (English Bar) I was asked by a Londoner to move some drugs back to the UK for £15,000. I'm too old to be foolish but just for anyone else - They have a way of making it sound easy. Don't be fooled. There are lots of English people in Peruvian jails.
Don't do it.
snat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby snat » Wed May 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Hello
I am Stephen. I have been to Peru 4 times and am planning on going back in Sep. I have been to Cuzo 3 times and the Amazon once. Retirement is about one year away and we would like to settle in Peru.
My work is with solid waste management, and I would like to help in that field. Any ideas?
Jess

Re: Hello!

Postby Jess » Wed May 06, 2009 7:49 pm

ChocolateAddict wrote:Hello everyone - I'm Melissa and I am moving to Miraflores starting on May 9th. I'm from the New Jersey area - the Philadelphia suburbs. I visited Peru in March and fell in love with the country! I am attending El Sol language school for a few months, and then trying to land a position teaching English.

I'm planning on attending the ACAP night at Como Agua Para Chocolate on May 15th.......anyone else going?

Nice to meet you all!

I will be attending the ACAP night!! Hope to see you there!
Jess
kenhulme

Postby kenhulme » Thu May 07, 2009 8:41 pm

KenHulme in Venice, Florida, US. Getting close to retirement, and Peru looks like a good bet. Some Peruvian friends suggested I check things out, so here I am.

I've traveled and lived in all sorts of places around the world. I will not come there and be another Ugly American tourista. I will become as much of a 'local' as a 6 ft blond with a lousy accent can possibly be. I'm used to cultures other than what I grew up with, and adapt easily.

I'm not looking for work, or to start a business or buy real estate. My ideal is to build a houseboat/shantyboat and park along the banks of a river. My friends tell me the Rio Tumbes may be just the ticket. Anyone here in the Tumbes area?
giocarlo
Gold Member
Gold Member

braking ground

Postby giocarlo » Wed May 13, 2009 10:03 am

Hello you all.

I am Carlo, Also married to a Beautifull Peruvian godess, Also from Florida,
Hollywood to be exact, also from Colombian parents but grew up in Queens New York.
Live in San Isidro and starting a Inflatable Games For Parties.

Looking to soon meet all at next gathering, last one was late last year.

Carlo.
CALICHE
coastalsonar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Kelly. problem with editing

Postby coastalsonar » Thu May 14, 2009 11:15 am

hi Kelly, I tried to edit my profile and exclude my email address. but every time I submit the new edit, clicking on dont show my email, it reverts back to "Yes" "show my email" can you solve the problem. thanks John.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu May 14, 2009 12:47 pm

YOu have to answer the question, like what's 2 plus 2 or what's the capital of Peru?
coastalsonar
Silver Member
Silver Member

thanks

Postby coastalsonar » Thu May 14, 2009 2:56 pm

hey Naturegirl, thank you for that. Its now soughted..
snat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby snat » Thu May 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello
I am new to this site and I'm glad to find it. I have visited Pery four times in the last five years, and am planning on returing in September. We usually go to Cuzo or the Amazon, but this time lake titticaca (probably spelled wrong). I will be retiring in one year and hope to move to Peru, but I am not sure where.

I live in Florida, is any one out there from there?
luna chica
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby luna chica » Sun May 17, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi there, my name is Rachel. I am an Aussie who came to Lima via Trujillo. I have spent the past two years in Trujillo and have been in Lima since February. My partner is Peruvian and we have a 5 year old son.
After being in the provinces for a couple of years I am super excited and happy to be in Lima. I have more shopping, international restaurants, musuems and theatre: I am in heaven. We live in Monterrico and I am a primary teacher.
I am keen to catch up and make friends with all of you as my social network here in LIma is still developing :) .
jigalongjess

Postby jigalongjess » Tue May 19, 2009 11:12 am

Hello All -

I would like to dive into this forum as well.
My name is Jessica and I moved to Lima a little over a month ago.
I live with my in-laws in Surco and have been a victim of Over-Protection.
I'm sure things could be (much) worse, however, I've reached the point where I can no longer spend most of my days and nights secured in the family compound.

I moved here from Oregon (US), with the intentions of learning Spanish (current level - terribly basic) and getting away from a stagnating situation in Portland.

I'm very interested in tutoring adults (English) and am looking for avenues of advertising this service. My idea is to help with speech writing, business presentations, letter writing, etc. Something "adult."
Any advice would be much appreciated.

I suppose this is enough for a first post. Hope to meet some of you soon!

Thanks for reading -
Jessica
Gunnar

Gunnar Engblom new on forum

Postby Gunnar » Wed May 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi

My name is Gunnar Engblom, 48 from Sweden. Although, I have been on the expat mailing list forever I am new on the forum. I am the one organizing whale-watching and condor-watching trips in Lima, that some of you may have seen on the expat list. I am married to Elia Gallo, dentist that some expats use. I have been living in Lima since 1998.

I am blogging about birding & nature in Peru and social media on my blog.
http://www.kolibriexpeditions.com/birdingperu/blog

My next project is to try to raise some money for habitat conservation near Satipo by running Lima Marathon on May 31. Do you want to help?
You don't have to run yourself!
Here is a link to Run a Marathon for Conservation to see what I mean.

Saludos

Gunnar
Gunnar Engblom
Operating birdwatching and whalewatching in Peru and South America with Kolibri Expeditions
My blog: A birding blog from Peru
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed May 20, 2009 4:57 pm

It's great to see so many new faces here. Welcome to all, and again, don't be nervous about asking questions... there is a lot of experience to be found in the forum!
meggyrosey
Gold Member
Gold Member

new friends

Postby meggyrosey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself here too...I've been in Peru for about a year and a half and I wanted to make so new friends outside my job. My name is Megan, I'm from Connecticut originally and have been relocated here for work. I'm hoping to meet some new people here!

Best!!
MelissaM

Postby MelissaM » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:36 pm

I introduced myself in April, but just wanted to add that when I was in Lima five weeks ago to visit my boyfriend, I fell in love with it. And not just because my love is there. I so look forward to my next trip and eventual move.

Thank you all for making it seem possible and not too terrifying to make such a drastic life change. Hope to see you in Lima within the year!
samos

Postby samos » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:24 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and introduce myself. My name is Sam and I currently live in the Uk, London to be precise. I found this site via the living in peru website and have to say I love both!

After about 10 years (!) of waiting for one of my friends to be as keen on a trip to south america as I was, I finally plucked up the courage to make my way to south america last year alone! I had a fantastic trip with Peru being a definite highlight, lake titicaca and trekking the inca trail were both well worth the wait! Also while I was in Arequipa I met a guy who was far too interesting to forget... :D

Well there were then two further trips to Peru in the space of 4 months to see him and I am now completely smitten!!! :D

Anyway I am now planning to return in October, to give 'us' a go and am soooo excited! But also a little terrified so all the information you all provide here has been invaluable in helping me tame my fears and figure out what I need to organise before I leave!

The only downside is that it seems that all the get togethers happen in Lima, I'll be based in Arequipa so unfortunately I won't get the same opportunity to take part and meet you all :(

Thanks to you all though, you're great!!
costamar

Postby costamar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Everyone! What a great way to introduce yourself and meet new people.

My name is Patricia, 29, from FL and I am currently living in Miraflores. My husband and I moved here January of '08 for business. However, I moved back to the states when I found out I was pregnant. I'm back now with our beautiful son and am looking to meet new people/make friends. I've been following this forum since last year and think it's wonderful.

Please keep me posted when you all have a "meet and greet."

Peace and love,
Patricia
Romel

Hi Everyone

Postby Romel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 pm

My name is Romel Fernandez. I am a 32 year old, Peruvian American and am currently still living in New Jersey. I just resigned from my job as a health inspector and purchased a one way ticket to Peru for December 18th. So for right now I'm considering taking a TEFL course in Cuzco (possibly before my December flight). That way I can hit the ground running in December. Right now I am excited and nervous and trying to make a plan to get ready for this adventure. I love the outdoors, am training for a triathlon and am a big animal lover. These forums seem really helpful and the participants are great!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register