Teaching Salary

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Teaching Salary

Postby Claudia1973 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:01 pm

What is the average annual salary for a University professor in Lima? A professor of business and computers in English speaking program. Is it customary for the school to pay a signing bonus. Thanks ahead of time.

naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm

No signing bonus. Expect anywhere from 15 to 60 soles an hour
Mommyof2Angels
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mommyof2Angels » Tue May 19, 2009 10:20 am

i work at an institute, and i get paid 540 soles per course....i have 3 courses. basically, i work for 6 hours a day, and 3 weeks a month to make about 525 dollars a month.

i took sharon´s advice, and asked for more money, since i was only making 400 soles per course, and i was in the process of working my first month.....they happily agreed, but not to the 600 soles per course that i requested.....the highest that they would pay was 140 more per course. same thing. more money. it never hurts to ask!
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue May 19, 2009 10:29 am

When I was at UPC, I was paid about $600/month after taxes. Everyone is part time.

Salary was S./ 65 per hour and I taught twice a week, 2 classes for 2 hours at a time. Tuesdays and Thursdays - 2 classes X 2 hours; 4 hours a day plus 1 hour for a meeting. That was 10 hours a week.

Most teachers work at two universities to make full time salary.

In short, international private schools pay much more than universities.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue May 19, 2009 11:39 am

cajun jamie wrote:When I was at UPC, I was paid about $600/month after taxes. Everyone is part time.

Salary was S./ 65 per hour and I taught twice a week, 2 classes for 2 hours at a time. Tuesdays and Thursdays - 2 classes X 2 hours; 4 hours a day plus 1 hour for a meeting. That was 10 hours a week.

That's pretty good, just to give you an idea
Agraria pays 15 soles an hour
La catolica about 18 soles
USIL between 30 and 40 soles.

UPC seems to be the top, I was just talking to a friend about them. You couldn't happen to have any contact info, would you?
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm

naturegirl wrote:
cajun jamie wrote:When I was at UPC, I was paid about $600/month after taxes. Everyone is part time.

That's pretty good, just to give you an idea
Agraria pays 15 soles an hour
La catolica about 18 soles
USIL between 30 and 40 soles.

UPC seems to be the top, I was just talking to a friend about them. You couldn't happen to have any contact info, would you?

I can send the names of the people in the English department. One thing about UPC that I noticed and then a friend of mine followed up with. UPC is a member of the Laureate University system. There is no real interest in having an above average English program. The English department is run by Peruvians who are very protective of their jobs. Being a native speaker of English will not give you much advantage, because the university isn't interested in anything special from their English department.

The best advice I can offer about UPC is that it is relaxed, fun and a good experience. But - don't push your luck with the staff, expect raises or promotions or to try and "change the system."

I taught there when I first arrived here in Peru simply because I wanted to experience teaching college. I enjoyed it because I just "went along with the flow" and didn't ruffle feathers.

G'luck.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Tue May 19, 2009 7:28 pm

cajun jamie wrote:The best advice I can offer about UPC is that it is relaxed, fun and a good experience. But - don't push your luck with the staff, expect raises or promotions or to try and "change the system."

I taught there when I first arrived here in Peru simply because I wanted to experience teaching college. I enjoyed it because I just "went along with the flow" and didn't ruffle feathers.
G'luck.

With 20 bucks an hour, that would be fine for me, and a relaxed environment makes it all the better, how strict are they on visas?
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Claudia1973 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:50 pm

My husband does not speak spanish fluently, but has 5 years teaching University.

Does UPC have English speaking classes for business and or computers?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register