That return ticket home??

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
User avatar
rozzy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Lima,Peru
Contact:

That return ticket home??

Postby rozzy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Guys
Before i left Aus..Qantas said i had to buy return ticket..as no return ticket to Peru was no entry into the country...so i did
I originally thought i could just buy a 1 way ticket :oops: and purchase a return when ready
This ticket is valid 12 months
Now has anyone had experince with return ticket
do i just let the date pass and loose the ticket..i have no intentions as yet of leaving this lovely city/country
i dont think i can ask for any refund either???

when ready do i just buy a ticket for my return in LiMA
Also when boarder crossing to get my 183 days again are they going to ask me for any proof of return ticket
so many questions sorry..i dont want to end up in a peruvian jail :cry:
Any help would be grateful
Thanks
Ros :D


markr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: Miraflores

Postby markr » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:10 am

When I last flew into lima just over a year ago I had no intention on returning home for some while so I tried to book a one way ticket with my prefered airline KLM. They didn't say I couldn't book a one way ticket, but what they did say was that I could only book one way if I was traveling first class. I subsequently bought a standard return and let the return part of the ticket lapse as thas was the cheaper option.
As regards borer hopping, all they want to see is a valid passport.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Postby americorps » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 am

I have a print-out of a reservation for a bus ticket from Tacna to Arica, the law does NOT require a return ticket, it only requires an ticketed exit plan from Peru.
ChocolateAddict
Member
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 am
Location: near Philadelphia, PA

Return Ticket

Postby ChocolateAddict » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:37 am

I booked a one-way ticket to Lima on Spirit Air. When I checked in, the woman at the desk insisted that I needed a return ticket, since I "was flying on a US passport".

I am not entirely sure that this is true, but there was no way I was getting on the plane to Lima if I didn´t purchase a return ticket to the US right then and there. This woman was adamant!
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Postby americorps » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 am

First of all, never fly spirit air, their CEO flat out admitted that they do not offer customer service and will never admit a customer was right. When things go well, they are cheap, but when things go bad, you will get burned and burned badly.

Second, I was on Spirit (my first and last time) and they accepted my onward ticket to Chile. The clerk was too stupid, but I made him contact the company to clarify the regs.
User avatar
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3438
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: La Molina, Peru
Contact:

Re: Return Ticket

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm

ChocolateAddict wrote:I booked a one-way ticket to Lima on Spirit Air. When I checked in, the woman at the desk insisted that I needed a return ticket, since I "was flying on a US passport".

I am not entirely sure that this is true, but there was no way I was getting on the plane to Lima if I didn´t purchase a return ticket to the US right then and there. This woman was adamant!


Spirit Air did the same to me. At first tried to charge me $400 for a return ticket, but I knew the price was $245, so she changed it.

Spirit Air is VERY open in boasting that people do not fly Spirit because they WANT to, they fly Spirit because they NEED to. Spirit has the lowest paid pilots in the Airbus fleet, who are also striking. The President is a greedy, nickel and dimer who makes his personal fortune by running a shady administration.

The sad thing is that people buy into his lunacy. I've done it, but not again.

Saying you saved a few bucks by shopping at Goodwill, or a Discount Store is admirable and thrifty.

Admitting you saved a few bucks by flying Spirit is like saying you just found a half-eaten drumstick in the trash for lunch. Not something you want to brag about.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
User avatar
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:46 am

Postby mahou123 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm

I think Qantas wouldn´t sell you a one way economy ticket to Lima via Auckland and SCL, if that is what you´re trying to do. They didn´t in the past. The way around it could be flying to LAX and get a one way from there, or return, that would be much cheaper anyway. They never asked me for a return ticket on entering Peru, just how many days I want. Maybe I was just lucky, maybe they have this requirement only for people traveling from the US (I was always coming from Madrid or Santiago). I would ask Qantas if they have tickets valid for more than a year, it would cost more, but will allow you to use the return part later on. Some RTW tickets are like that.
travelinman.rr
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Surco

One Way Ticket

Postby travelinman.rr » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:46 pm

If you still haven't figured this out, I suggest going online and emailing the Customer Care desk at Quantas. You may want to ask them what your options are regarding the return ticket. Ask if you can extend the time - although there may be a fee - as I just looked on their website and found they have a link in their FAQs about "open-ended" tickets. Maybe you can make a switch for a price lower than the cost of buying a return ticket outright? Worth a quick email to them to find out.

Also, thought I don't know specifically about Quantas, you should have no problems buying a one-way ticket to leave Lima when you're ready. I'm from the U.S. and can do this on American Airlines. Maybe you can also ask them that in the email. Buena Suerte!

Chao,
Rick
User avatar
rozzy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Location: Lima,Peru
Contact:

Postby rozzy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone i did fly Sydney Auckland then to Santiago and Lima
All good advice
Customer service first place to start asking questions and why didnt i think of that :oops: :oops: jejejejeje..im blonde no not really :D
User avatar
pingouin59
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 pm
Location: Lima

round trip

Postby pingouin59 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:17 pm

Anyway, most of the time a one way ticket is almost, if not more expensive than a round trip ticket. At least that is what I found out with Continental. Coming to Lima on July 13 for a nice $ 625 (Columbia, SC to Lima round trip) return ticket is scheduled for Sept 14. I will cancel the return and keep the credit for one year

Gerard
Rene
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Rene » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Last year I flew from the US to Peru with a one way. I called the airline, asked them about it and they confirmed you need a trip out of Peru. So I booked a trip Lima - Buenos Aires with a different airline, since my next leg to Australia would probably go over BA and that would be cheaper than a return. At checkin in the US the airline never asked about it. Then later plans changed and I cancelled the flight to BA and used the credit for a different flight.
Cenzo6945
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 8:24 pm
Location: Lima

Postby Cenzo6945 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 pm

In Response to the question... I have now been 4 times back and forth lima to NYC and i never had a round trip ticket. Never even thought it was an issue. But also I have flown on spirit, maybe they are dumb. And please share more info about this spirit air thing. Is it even dangerous to fly by underpayed pilots??? I never expected wine and cheese on the flights, but i can't pay $1000 on LAN or CONTINENTAL.
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Postby Kelly » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:55 am

My sister is here, she flew on LAN with my niece for around $350 per round trip ticket. Low prices are hard to find, but they are there.
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:17 pm

either get a refund, or change the date.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1490
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: "Miraflores State of Mind"

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Cenzo6945 wrote: please share more info about this spirit air thing. Is it even dangerous to fly by underpayed pilots??? I never expected wine and cheese on the flights, but i can't pay $1000 on LAN or CONTINENTAL.


SHHHH!, were just trying to keep the Peruvians from using them and keep the low prices for us Gringo's. 2 weeks ago I snagged a RT for $10.00 plus taxes and if I was in the States they just offered 39 cents/each way to Cancun, Mexico!
User avatar
rgamarra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 am

Postby rgamarra » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:05 pm

In 2008 I flew Spirit (a horror in itself) one-way to Lima from Ft. Lauderdale.
Spirit never asked for a RT ticket.

If you do have an RT, I recommend extending the date before the ticket expires. You cannot change your ticket once the flight is gone.

Sometimes a ticket change is $150 plus whatever applicable charges (the difference) in price.

We are planning on extending our tickets back to Lima since my kids and I still have a RT scheduled for August. Changing the ticket is more cost effective in this case than outright purchasing new ones.

Anyway, best bet is to call the airline and tell them you are planning on staying longer and want to change your ticket (or cancel.)
User avatar
Adventurous.1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 am
Location: Miraflores-Lima, Peru
Contact:

Postby Adventurous.1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:16 pm

I purchased my ticket to Lima through Travelocity yesterday and the subject of a RT never came up, either online or with customer service.
I may hear about it when I check in but so far I have not been questioned about it.
Zietgiest :^0

Do or do not, there is no try
- Yoda-
User avatar
ducado
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:50 am
Location: Surco - Lima
Contact:

Postby ducado » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:07 pm

The return ticket is just a formal requirement by Peru. Which means in practice that Peru makes the airline responsable to ONLY allow passengers with tickets out of the country. If the airline fails to check, Peru can FINE the airline, and force the airline to transport the passenger back from where they came from.

Reality is that Peru doesn't check, but the formal requirement is still in place. As the airline doesn't want to run any risk on a fine, they can force the passenger to buy a return ticket.

Four years ago we went from Spain with Aircomet, and they enforced this rule. Luckily I had an expired Peruvian Carnet de Extranjeria, which I presented as actual and they accepted it... ( It was also the only occasion my wife forced me to 'hit' on the checkin girl, as we were severely overweighted with our luggage) (the girl even fall for my stupid remark that she looked better in real than on her badge .. ), we got on the flight without problems though ;)
User avatar
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:19 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:09 am

In 3+ years of 1-way travels to Lima I've only ever been asked once by Taca when I was flying from Costa Rica to Lima. I told the guy I was backpacking via bus through South America and he accepted that answer.
User avatar
scubagirl01
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: Miraflores

Postby scubagirl01 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:42 pm

I flew Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale to Lima on a one-way last year. At first I was told that I needed a return ticket to the U.S., but after explaining that I was married to a Peruvian and lived there I was allowed to check in after showing my Peruvian marriage license (which I just happened to have on hand). I was sternly told that in the future I would need my own form of Peruvian ID showing I lived there, otherwise I'd need a return ticket.

Since then I have been flying with round-trip tickets originating from Lima and I haven't had any problems. However I have friends who have also encountered problems with their one-way tickets. I think one friend successfully purchased a fully-refundable one-way back to the U.S. and then cashed it in once back in Peru. Just another idea if the system or your arguments don't seem to be working in your favor.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Postby americorps » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 pm

It may seem technical, but I bet the airlines make a lot of money off this.

you are NOT REQUIRED to have a return ticket, you are required to have a CONTINUING ticket, hence my bus ticket from Tacna to Arica for 10 Soles sufficed. Plan ahead and there will be no need to donate money to airlines, especially Spirit, the worst Airline that services Peru.
User avatar
naturegirl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4903
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:10 pm
Location: Seoul, Korea
Contact:

Postby naturegirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Americorps wrote:It may seem technical, but I bet the airlines make a lot of money off this.

you are NOT REQUIRED to have a return ticket, you are required to have a CONTINUING ticket, hence my bus ticket from Tacna to Arica for 10 Soles sufficed. Plan ahead and there will be no need to donate money to airlines, especially Spirit, the worst Airline that services Peru.


Yes, I think that's the key, YOu have to show a way, any way out of Peru. Can you buy those bus tickets online? That would be useful for those who aren't in Peru at the moment.
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Postby americorps » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:03 am

You can go on to several bus lines to print an intenarary and that has always sufficed for me. I did have a copy of their policy showing that they do NOT sell tickets more than 30 days in advance. I was once even questioned at immigracion here in Peru and showing that satisfied them.
User avatar
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3438
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:32 pm
Location: La Molina, Peru
Contact:

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:19 am

Adventurous.1 wrote:I purchased my ticket to Lima through Travelocity yesterday and the subject of a RT never came up, either online or with customer service.
I may hear about it when I check in but so far I have not been questioned about it.


You will not hear about it until you step up to the ticket counter. That way they put you in a position to feel you have to buy a return ticket.
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
User avatar
Adventurous.1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 am
Location: Miraflores-Lima, Peru
Contact:

Postby Adventurous.1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:13 pm

cajun jamie wrote:
Adventurous.1 wrote:I purchased my ticket to Lima through Travelocity yesterday and the subject of a RT never came up, either online or with customer service.
I may hear about it when I check in but so far I have not been questioned about it.


You will not hear about it until you step up to the ticket counter. That way they put you in a position to feel you have to buy a return ticket.


I don't know if it was my charm or rugged good looks, LOL, but the issue never arose.
Zietgiest :^0



Do or do not, there is no try

- Yoda-
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Postby tupacperu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Americorps wrote:I have a print-out of a reservation for a bus ticket from Tacna to Arica, the law does NOT require a return ticket, it only requires an ticketed exit plan from Peru.


True, I agree. I am doing that when I have to return to Peru.

I had been traveling for a couple of years on oneway tickets via Spirit Airline. JUst last month I returned to Peru with my wife and son. Spirit forced me to buy a return ticket at the airport. The key is to buy a cheap one way to Peru , the buy a refundable return ticket and cancel the refundable ticket once in Peru. Spirit told me that if Peruvian Immigration turned me back, Spirit would be fined $20K. I was livid becasue I was at the airport and preparing to pickup my boarding pass. So I mentioned to Spirit that I would dig up my past tickets and send them to Peruvian Immigration (-: . The return ticket cost me $500 +, spirit charged me a cancellation fee $25.00, but I got most of my money back.

The bus ticket will work, as long as you are exiting the country.


Americorp, I would be interested in knowing where to Buy the Ticket from Tacna to Arica. I had to return to the USA this weekend and plan to buy a oneway ticket back to Peru, using the bus method. Which bus companies? Can the ticket be purchased in Lima or over the internet?

Thanks
User avatar
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Location: Lima

Postby americorps » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Cruz del Sur or Ormeno allow you to purchase online, but I did not even purchase, i just printed out the intenarary.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Postby tupacperu » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks for the tip!
jesse0977
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:25 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Postby jesse0977 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:34 am

I've never knew that people can have a problem with one-way tickets. If the airlines can get in trouble, why would they sell them? I purchased our tickets one-way through Travelocity online. I actually paid $268/person with Aeromexico from NY to Lima!! And the only reason was because I waited too long to buy the $189/person through Avianca :(
I guess they were having great deals at that time.

But after reading this thread, we got worried. I called the Immigrations Dept in Lima (DIGEMIN), and they told me that we shouldn't have a problem flying one-way. Specially because my husband (american) is married to a peruvian citizen (me). But if any troubles, to just show the marriage certificate.
User avatar
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3350
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Pimentel Beach-Chiclayo- Sanford NC
Contact:

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:57 pm

jesse0977 wrote:I've never knew that people can have a problem with one-way tickets. If the airlines can get in trouble, why would they sell them? I purchased our tickets one-way through Travelocity online. I actually paid $268/person with Aeromexico from NY to Lima!! And the only reason was because I waited too long to buy the $189/person through Avianca :(
I guess they were having great deals at that time.

But after reading this thread, we got worried. I called the Immigrations Dept in Lima (DIGEMIN), and they told me that we shouldn't have a problem flying one-way. Specially because my husband (american) is married to a peruvian citizen (me). But if any troubles, to just show the marriage certificate.



The marriage Certificate does not work either. I am American and my wife is Peruvian, they refused to accept my marriage certificate, I also have a stamp in my passport from my last carnet (recent) they would not accept that. I just think it is a way for airlines to make more money, because you can choose a return trip on another airline. They do no let you know until you arrive at the counter. I would call the airline to see if they accept marriage certificate. My wife and I had a marriage ceritifcates and a certificate to our joint property in Peru, all that did not work.

So, I am taking Americorps advice. I went to the web site and order a bus ticket to Argentina (Cruz Del Sur). I went up to the point of the purchase page and printed out the transaction and schedule with my name and amounts. I did not buy. Immigration says that you just need evidence of an onward ticket. I will carry the printout as evidence.
jesse0977
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:25 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Postby jesse0977 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:24 pm

TupacPeru wrote:So, I am taking Americorps advice. I went to the web site and order a bus ticket to Argentina (Cruz Del Sur). I went up to the point of the purchase page and printed out the transaction and schedule with my name and amounts. I did not buy. Immigration says that you just need evidence of an onward ticket. I will carry the printout as evidence.


I love my country! As complicated as always!!
I will call Aeromexico and ask. But I'll do reservations just in case and carry the print out. Thanks for the advice!
chane
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Miraflores

Postby chane » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:29 pm

Are you booking passage on the Peruvian Cruz del Sur or the Argentinean company? I can't get international itineraries on Cruz del Sur (Peru) or Ormeño at the moment; not sure if this is a function of being in the US or using a Mac. Nor am I having any luck with the Chilean bus companies... No one seems to want to sell international itineraries online. :P

Once I have my Carnet de Extranjeria, will I be able to avoid this issue?
User avatar
Kelly
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Postby Kelly » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:49 pm

chane wrote:

Once I have my Carnet de Extranjeria, will I be able to avoid this issue?


Yes. (sorry I can't help with the first part of your post)
Diridiw
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:33 am

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby Diridiw » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 am

Hi Guys,

I am currently only having a one way ticket from Jakarta (Indonesia) to Lima (i bought ticket first when i was in Lima, so i have used my ticket from Lima to Jakarta).

Kindly need your advise what should i do to have onward travel, since KLM definitely will ask my return ticket.

Is there any of your experience flying with KLM and how to deal with them about this requirement. Does buying a ticket out from Peru (lets say with bus to Chile for example, will help me through check-in process in KLM?) will they let me on board?

Thanks for your enlightenment..

Regards
sasha_art
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:22 am

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby sasha_art » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:42 am

The most secure option is to actually buy an onward ticket. You can buy one-way fully refundable ticket to Guayaquil, Ecuador for 625 USD with LAN. (The name of the fair must be FULL FLEXIBLE). Once in Peru you apply for a refund online with no charges! You will get you money back in 3 weeks or so.

A more economic option would by buying a bus ticket to Guayaquil. You can do it online on www.cruzdelsur.com.pe. It costs around 70 USD (185 soles). But you would have to apply for a refund at their office and I don´t know if KLM satisfies with that.
User avatar
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Peru
Contact:

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby sbaustin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 am

tupacperu wrote:The marriage Certificate does not work either. I am American and my wife is Peruvian, they refused to accept my marriage certificate, I also have a stamp in my passport from my last carnet (recent) they would not accept that. I just think it is a way for airlines to make more money, because you can choose a return trip on another airline. They do no let you know until you arrive at the counter. I would call the airline to see if they accept marriage certificate. My wife and I had a marriage ceritifcates and a certificate to our joint property in Peru, all that did not work.



So, I am taking Americorps advice. I went to the web site and order a bus ticket to Argentina (Cruz Del Sur). I went up to the point of the purchase page and printed out the transaction and schedule with my name and amounts. I did not buy. Immigration says that you just need evidence of an onward ticket. I will carry the printout as evidence.


I'm pretty sure the rule is that tourists are required to have onward passage and being married doesn't mean anything for your immigration status. Having a carnet means you are a resident and I've never had any issue with one way tickets using my carnet.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby TShadow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm

The Peruvian law says that you must show proof of a return ticket. Most air companies therefore might ask you to buy such a ticket. We have had cases in other forums where people could not board because regretfully the agency where they bought their ticket did not inform you.

Also the immigration offers can ask you the same. If they will is another question. It's the same as they can give you 10, 30 or 183 days. They decide.

Why don't you simply get in contact with KLM?
Diridiw
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:33 am

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby Diridiw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 pm

sasha_art wrote:The most secure option is to actually buy an onward ticket. You can buy one-way fully refundable ticket to Guayaquil, Ecuador for 625 USD with LAN. (The name of the fair must be FULL FLEXIBLE). Once in Peru you apply for a refund online with no charges! You will get you money back in 3 weeks or so.

A more economic option would by buying a bus ticket to Guayaquil. You can do it online on http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe. It costs around 70 USD (185 soles). But you would have to apply for a refund at their office and I don´t know if KLM satisfies with that.


So the point is the airline want to see the proof of you GETTING OUT of Peru or GETTING BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY? cus if by getting out of peru surely to buy 625 usd ticket to Ecuador wont be a matter. But screw me if they wanna see if i have the ticket from Ecuador to Indonesia.

:( hellppp
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:27 am

TShadow wrote:The Peruvian law says that you must show proof of a return ticket. Most air companies therefore might ask you to buy such a ticket. We have had cases in other forums where people could not board because regretfully the agency where they bought their ticket did not inform you.

Also the immigration offers can ask you the same. If they will is another question. It's the same as they can give you 10, 30 or 183 days. They decide.

Why don't you simply get in contact with KLM?


The Peruvian law doesn't say that you need a return ticket. The Peruvian immigration law says that you need enough money to support your stay to avoid that you will become a burden for the social wellfare system in Peru and that you need enough money to pay for leaving the country.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby panman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 am

[quote="chi chi"

The Peruvian immigration law says that you need enough money to support your stay to avoid that you will become a burden for the social wellfare system in Peru [/quote]

Social welfare :lol: :lol:
What's on offer?
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby TShadow » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 am

Welfare in Peru? Interesting.

That's what they say are the requests to enter Peru and can be asked at customs:

- Valid passport
- Round-trip air ticket or booking
- Negative certificate of police/criminal record
- Hotel reservation or tourist package; or an invitation letter, if legalized before a public notary and apostilled by the foreign affairs ministry
- Supporting documents of financial solvency, accordingly to the period of stay (valid international credit card and/or bank statements, or pay bills of the last three months.

If they will ask you that is another question, but they can pretend it if they wish.
sasha_art
Member
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:22 am

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby sasha_art » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Diridiw wrote:
sasha_art wrote:The most secure option is to actually buy an onward ticket. You can buy one-way fully refundable ticket to Guayaquil, Ecuador for 625 USD with LAN. (The name of the fair must be FULL FLEXIBLE). Once in Peru you apply for a refund online with no charges! You will get you money back in 3 weeks or so.

A more economic option would by buying a bus ticket to Guayaquil. You can do it online on http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe. It costs around 70 USD (185 soles). But you would have to apply for a refund at their office and I don´t know if KLM satisfies with that.


So the point is the airline want to see the proof of you GETTING OUT of Peru or GETTING BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRY? cus if by getting out of peru surely to buy 625 usd ticket to Ecuador wont be a matter. But screw me if they wanna see if i have the ticket from Ecuador to Indonesia.

:( hellppp


That´s correct, you need to show only an onward ticket to any destination out of Peru! There is no law that requires you to have a return ticket.
User avatar
emanaku
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Calca, Cuzco

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby emanaku » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:17 pm

In the last three years we never had a problem to fly on LAN or Aeromexico with tickets from Lima and back into Lima (having not a ticket out of Peru again) - EXCEPT in one case: Flying from Auckland, New Zealand via Santiago, Chile to Lima at the LAN counter in Auckland they wanted to see a ticket out of Perú. We refused to buy a "temporary ticket" and get a refund later. So finally they offered to us that they could let us fly to SCL, what we did. In SCL we had to get our luggage and re-check it again - without any questions about our ticket out of Peru ...
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby mammamia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:49 pm

That´s
correct, you need to show only an onward ticket to any destination out
of Peru! There is no law that requires you to have a return
ticket
.[/quote]

There might be a problem if you fly to the US. At check-in they
always ask for a return ticket or a proof of you getting out of the
States unless you are a US citizen, of course. For sure, that doesn't
concern flights to Indonesia, especially if the OP is Indonesian.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby chi chi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:05 pm

mammamia wrote:There might be a problem if you fly to the US. At the check-out they always ask for a return ticket or a proof of you getting out of the States unless you are a US citizen, of course.


They were used to ask that in the US. But in the last 5 years they didn't ask me anymore if I have a return or onward ticket when I arrived in the US.

US immigration probably realised that it doesn't make sense to ask for a return or onward ticket because millions of illegal immigrants arrived with an onward ticket but they 'missed' their connecting flight or return flight.

Just in case, I always have a copy of a booking in my backpocket. Just book a flight at www.united.com and opt to pay by Western Union. They immediatelly send you by email a confirmed reservation. You have 48 hours to pay by Western Union which you 'forget' of course.
Diridiw
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:33 am

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby Diridiw » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 pm

mammamia wrote:That´s
correct, you need to show only an onward ticket to any destination out
of Peru! There is no law that requires you to have a return
ticket
.


Do you think if i bought ticket out from Peru to Ecuador, i might pass the KLM check in? I was thinking to say i am planning to married in Peru so thats why i will not know when will back to my country, but of course i have my ticket out of Peru (for honeymoon) before my visa is finished.

Or would it be better to ask directly to KLM they term? but i just afraid if i called them, they would take anote of my question and "mark" me and give me problem later when i check in.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing.. I appreciate it :)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm
Location: Arequipa

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 pm

Diridiw wrote:Or would it be better to ask directly to KLM they term? but i just afraid if i called them, they would take anote of my question and "mark" me and give me problem later when i check in.


Call anonymously as someone only considering buying a ticket to fly KLM. No need to identify yourself if you're just interested in knowing what their policy is.
User avatar
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 6060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Granada, Andalusia

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby chi chi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:13 am

Diridiw wrote:
mammamia wrote:That´s
correct, you need to show only an onward ticket to any destination out
of Peru! There is no law that requires you to have a return
ticket
.


Do you think if i bought ticket out from Peru to Ecuador, i might pass the KLM check in? I was thinking to say i am planning to married in Peru so thats why i will not know when will back to my country, but of course i have my ticket out of Peru (for honeymoon) before my visa is finished.

Or would it be better to ask directly to KLM they term? but i just afraid if i called them, they would take anote of my question and "mark" me and give me problem later when i check in.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing.. I appreciate it :)


I worked for KLM as a flight attendant. (The highest level possible in the airline business)
By KLM, they way you get treated, it depends of your behaviour. As a passenger, your are expected to be submisive and show a lot of respect to the staff. Especially the crew. Bow, be submissive and always speak with two words... Yes Sir, Yes Madam...
Remember, it's an honour to you to get so close to the crew.
User avatar
roddd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am

Re: That return ticket home??

Postby roddd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 am

chi chi wrote:
Diridiw wrote:
mammamia wrote:That´s
correct, you need to show only an onward ticket to any destination out
of Peru! There is no law that requires you to have a return
ticket
.


Do you think if i bought ticket out from Peru to Ecuador, i might pass the KLM check in? I was thinking to say i am planning to married in Peru so thats why i will not know when will back to my country, but of course i have my ticket out of Peru (for honeymoon) before my visa is finished.

Or would it be better to ask directly to KLM they term? but i just afraid if i called them, they would take anote of my question and "mark" me and give me problem later when i check in.

Thanks a lot guys for sharing.. I appreciate it :)


I worked for KLM as a flight attendant. (The highest level possible in the airline business)
By KLM, they way you get treated, it depends of your behaviour. As a passenger, your are expected to be submisive and show a lot of respect to the staff. Especially the crew. Bow, be submissive and always speak with two words... Yes Sir, Yes Madam...
Remember, it's an honour to you to get so close to the crew.


and i thought the captain of the plane was higher ?

Return to “Expat Information”

cron

Login  •  Register