Dog Food

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Amerijewvian

Dog Food

Postby Amerijewvian » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:39 pm

I am just curious as to what dog food you dog owners feed your furry friends and how you chose that food for them based on what factors.

I fed my 2 Italian Greyhouds Nutro back in FL but I have had to compromse with Hill's Science Diet for the past year. They didn't have any adverse effects which is good, but I am in search of a dog food with more natural ingredients. Any suggestions are appreciated and I am curious if anyone owns an IG or knows of any in Lima (looking for a doggy date).

Omikron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Omikron » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:08 pm

My sister owns a golden Labrador and she feeds her with Nutram, a Canadian brand. They have a peruvian homepage
http://www.nutram.com.pe/productos-dog.htm
and saw their selling booth during the 4th of July Expat Get Together at Pachacamac.
Being a very active and playful lab, they feed her with the "Active Dog" option.
Although it is expensive compared to other brands, the lab makes less poop, meaning she assimilates more nutrients and her hair gets silkier and shinier.
Yuyis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Yuyis » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 am

As we plan on buying a dog shortly, interesting topic!
I heard someone say that 'Ricocan' is bad. But without any arguments...
Anyone could confirm this? Or which other brand is good on a price/quality basis?
God bless Peru - and all of you!
www.esenzachiclayo.com
Amerijewvian

Postby Amerijewvian » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks Omikron I will check it out and see if it suits my needs. I am going to the vet this week, I intend to pick his brain and see what he thinks.
costamar

Postby costamar » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Back in FL my dogs ate Natures Variety Raw Organic Meat Patties. It was awesome. Their coat was so shiny, teeth/breath was good, and they had tons of energy. When I moved here we tried Science Diet, but doggies didn't like it. We also tried giving them raw meat here, but it didn't agree with them. Then we started giving them steamed veggies, boiled rice and chicken...they loved it, but they were gaining to much weight. Now we give them the nutram too. Can't complain as of yet. But I am also still looking for better options out there. Hope this info helps.

P.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:43 pm

Yuyis wrote:As we plan on buying a dog shortly, interesting topic!
I heard someone say that 'Ricocan' is bad. But without any arguments...
Anyone could confirm this? Or which other brand is good on a price/quality basis?

I wouldn't say that Ricocan is 'bad', (although some probably will!) but generally any dogfood with corn or corn meal as the first ingredient (maiz in spanish) is not as good as one with meat as the first ingredient. Dogs don't digest corn well and it is used mostly as filler in the food. So even though the dog food will be cheaper, you end up feeding your dog more and you'll find that a lot of it ends up going right out the other end (large, yellowish stool). Higher quality foods, which you typically have to buy at pet stores or vet's offices, are much more expensive, but you can feed smaller amounts and much more of the food is absorbed and used by the dog. Good for the dog, and good for you too, because you end up with smaller, firmer stool that's easier to clean up.
Yuyis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Yuyis » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks, Kelly. This is great info!
God bless Peru - and all of you!

www.esenzachiclayo.com
sonia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sonia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:39 am

Our dogs ate some store-bought dog food, but the biggest part of their diet was fresh, home-cooked food made especially for them. I don't think there is any store-bought packaged dog food that can match the nutritional value of a mixture of cooked chicken, beef, vegetables and grains. It was cooked daily, without seasonings except a little salt. Before serving it, the meat and vegetables were cut into bits. The vegetables and grain mixture varied week to week. These meals kept our animals very strong and healthy into old age. And my siblings and I, and many years later my daughter, enjoyed being involved in preparing the meals we knew the dogs loved.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register