Purchase a Car in Tacna

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Purchase a Car in Tacna

Postby Claudia1973 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:52 pm

My husband and I plan to fly to Tacna to purchase a car.

Any recommendations for places to buy a car and places to eat? We plan to stay a couple of days.

Does Interbank have location(s) in Tacna?

american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Purchase a Car in Tacna

Postby american_in_lima » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Claudia1973 wrote:My husband and I plan to fly to Tacna to purchase a car.

Any recommendations for places to buy a car and places to eat? We plan to stay a couple of days.

Does Interbank have location(s) in Tacna?

Claudia: Reasons why not to buy a car from Tacna:

The majority of the cars they sell are "timon cambiado" (Modified Steering Wheel to be able drivable in Peru). Insurance companies (actually Rimac) is the only one that covers cars that are timon cambiado. If the car is stolen, they give you 80% of value. If parts are stolen, they don't cover it at all. Parts are very hard to come by so there is huge black market for those types of cars. Also, insurance is usually double the cost that than of a regular car.

I speak from experience as my car was cleaned out with all the accessories - whole front dash, electrical system, etc. Lights. Damage was 4000 soles. There are no parts except on the black market, and I am left paying the bill.

I am going to repair my car but it will be the last time that I get a car with a "timon cambiado"
Regards,

George
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:32 pm

That may be the exception, as for years I know friends and family who have purchased in Tacna.

I think the last purchase was a station wagon for $3000. My brother-in-law drove it 6 years and then sold it for what he paid.

I really do not know anyone who insures their cars. Most folks I know just pay any repairs out of pocket.

G'luck!
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:34 pm

i know 3 people that got cars in Tacna and were very happy with them as well.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:27 am

Americorps wrote:i know 3 people that got cars in Tacna and were very happy with them as well.

I bet the people who the cars actually belonged to weren't happy about the fact that they were for sale in Tacna.
A large amount of imported cars are extremely suspect wherever they are bought, be it Tacna or Tumbes. Either stolen or insurance write offs in their country of origin as recently reported and proven on Peruvian TV.
rodd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rodd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:24 am

we got a toyota corolla from tacna a couple of years ago , we went to tacna by bus and we took it in turns to drive it home, i would suggest on flying to tacna as the bus drivers to tend to want to over take on corners so if you are nervious dont take a bus ,
there were lots of cars to choose from so as long as you know what you are doing or have a mechanic you will be ok, our car was a japanese import with a body kit and black windows price in lima $6500 bought in tacna $4000
unless you get permission for the black windows the police will keep stopping you and will only let you go if you slip them some money,so avoid cars with black windows or get permision paper work , also you will get stopped several times by police at different check points, mind you this was a couple of years ago it might be different now, when you are in tacna you might get people come up to you and offer to drive your car back to lima, i would not want any stranger to drive my car might not see it again,you have to choices you can drive it back yourself or they have transporters that will take it for you, we got the paper work which allowed us to drive car for 2 days with out plates then you have to get new licence plates and sort out all the paper work
rodd
rodd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rodd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:32 am

also make sure you keep it in a garage when you are not using it, if you dont have a garage a lot or people will rent theirs out for a small fee, i say this because we got back home and did not have a garage and left it out at night and someone tried to get in the car with a screwdriver they failed and this was a street with a security guard, and when you go out and park it pay some one a few sole to look after it for you, or you will find they will steal your car for parts
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:22 am

rodd wrote:also make sure you keep it in a garage when you are not using it, if you dont have a garage a lot or people will rent theirs out for a small fee, i say this because we got back home and did not have a garage and left it out at night and someone tried to get in the car with a screwdriver they failed and this was a street with a security guard, and when you go out and park it pay some one a few sole to look after it for you, or you will find they will steal your car for parts

If they'd managed to steal it you could probably have gone to Tacna and bought it back, either as a complete vehicle with different plates or in kit form in the way of a big box of spare parts :lol:
Claudia1973
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Claudia1973 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:38 pm

The main benefit is cost of a car in Tacna, which we hope will outweigh the disadvantages of being a rebuilt and the travel risks.

Accidents happen. My neighbor pays (read: twice) about S/.300 to fix the front bumper of a newer SUV (vs. USA cost of about $3-5k). Paying for repairs is sometimes cheaper than insurance cost.

Theft happens. If you want it, lock it up. No problem. Thanks everyone.
iron butterfly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iron butterfly » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Being unfamiliar with the Tacna car market, I do not understand. Are these stolen cars? Rebuilt cars? Rebuilt cars with stolen parts? I get the impression that there is something "shady" about buying a car there. I would like to check this place out but I do not want to waste my time looking at stolen merchandise. Thanks
Last edited by iron butterfly on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rodd » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:18 pm

the car i got was a japanese import it had all the paper work, there are thousands of cars there or there were a few years ago like a car any were in the world check it very well
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:45 am

rodd wrote:the car i got was a japanese import it had all the paper work, there are thousands of cars there or there were a few years ago like a car any were in the world check it very well

Rodd,
"it had all the paper work" what does that mean? did you recognise any of it? What language was it in? Even the British MOT certificate (ministry of transport test for road worthiness) used to state, and maybe still does "do not accept this document as proof of the vehicles road worthiness."
Do a bit of reasearch, you will soon find out that the whole Japanese vehicle export/import business is rife with corruption. Do you think Peru is the only country in the world to avoid this problem. In the UK they don't even have to go to the expense of moving the steering wheel and replacing the dashboard.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:45 am

Like any transaction in Peru, you have to watch yourself, just like going to Las Malvinas to buy a cell phone. It is pretty easy to tell what is stolen and what is refurbished.

In Tacna you can buy used cars at pretty good prices. They are able to import them with tax breaks there. Thousands of people do it every day and only a very few have problems, and those that do, walk in nieve about the rules of the game.

Many, not all, are modified steering wheel cars as mentioned above, a portion might be stolen, but considering the number of people on this board who have already relayed their personal experiences, or friends or family who have purchased that way and are happy, the cautions are important to listen to, but not a reason not to do it if you want a car.

It is always best to go with a person with experience or someone who is a trusted mechanic, or a referrall from someone who has been there before. Clearly, Markr cautions are good words to the wise, but again, considering the number of satisfied customers, the things he fears can usually be avoided with some due dilligence.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 am

Americorps wrote:Like any transaction in Peru, you have to watch yourself, just like going to Las Malvinas to buy a cell phone. It is pretty easy to tell what is stolen and what is refurbished.

In Tacna you can buy used cars at pretty good prices. They are able to import them with tax breaks there. Thousands of people do it every day and only a very few have problems, and those that do, walk in nieve about the rules of the game.

Many, not all, are modified steering wheel cars as mentioned above, a portion might be stolen, but considering the number of people on this board who have already relayed their personal experiences, or friends or family who have purchased that way and are happy, the cautions are important to listen to, but not a reason not to do it if you want a car.

It is always best to go with a person with experience or someone who is a trusted mechanic, or a referrall from someone who has been there before. Clearly, Markr cautions are good words to the wise, but again, considering the number of satisfied customers, the things he fears can usually be avoided with some due dilligence.

Taking a person with a mechanical background is essential. OK a lot of stolen cars end up on foreign markets all over the world and their true origins will not cause you a problem, the bigger concern though are the vehicles that have been rebuilt. Insurance write offs which cosmetically look like the real thing but are in fact potential death traps.
Checking VIN (vehicle identity numbers) and insurance registers is big business certainly in England and I´m sure it's the same in America. Is this information available and offered in places like Tacna?
rodd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rodd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:37 am

the paper work stated that import tax had been paid and the details of the car it was in spanish and also some papers were in japanese , it was the paper work we needed to show get the licence plates for the car and register it, but like any paper work any thing can be made on a computer , i know what you mean in the UK take your car for an mot it will pass but it does not mean it is road worthy, just have to remember the UK and Peru are a world apart in everything that you see and do, but if it looks suspect it probably is , i have been a mechanic for over 30 years so i have a good idea at what i am doing ,
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:05 pm

cajun jamie wrote:That may be the exception, as for years I know friends and family who have purchased in Tacna.

I think the last purchase was a station wagon for $3000. My brother-in-law drove it 6 years and then sold it for what he paid.

I really do not know anyone who insures their cars. Most folks I know just pay any repairs out of pocket.

G'luck!

Jamie: All of my friends have insurance on their cars. I assume it depends on the type of car they have.
Regards,

George
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:27 pm

american_in_lima wrote:
cajun jamie wrote:That may be the exception, as for years I know friends and family who have purchased in Tacna.

G'luck!

Jamie: All of my friends have insurance on their cars. I assume it depends on the type of car they have.

I'd stick my neck out and also say, not only the car but the type of people.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:54 pm

markr wrote:
american_in_lima wrote:

G'luck!

I'd stick my neck out and also say, not only the car but the type of people.

I agree - All of these private insurance companies, obviously have clients to support their business. I also have insurance on my house as well as medical insurance. All of my friends also are insured in this manner.
Regards,

George
cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 pm

My statement was straight forward. Most people I know purchase cars for less than $10,000 and if the car is damaged, pay for repairs. If you take out a loan, yes, you have insurance. If you choose to drive an expensive car ($15,000 to $90,000+) sure, you have insurance.

My personal opinion, and it is just mine, is that I know too many people who had nice, more upscale cars, and they ended up damaged, wrecked, or have a gun in their face to steal it.

Back in the states, sure, I drove new Surburbans, Avalanches and nice, expensive cars. I can easily afford a "nice car" in Lima, but would never own one, because most drivers are not insured and you pay insurance to cover you and the other driver.

I have too much respect for fine automobiles to torture them in Lima. I love my VW bug, not because of the price, but because it is a very practical car here. My next purchase will be a bigger Land Rover, and, it will be about 15 years old and not insured.

cheers!
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:43 pm

cajun jamie wrote:My statement was straight forward. Most people I know purchase cars for less than $10,000 and if the car is damaged, pay for repairs. If you take out a loan, yes, you have insurance. If you choose to drive an expensive car ($15,000 to $90,000+) sure, you have insurance.

My personal opinion, and it is just mine, is that I know too many people who had nice, more upscale cars, and they ended up damaged, wrecked, or have a gun in their face to steal it.

Back in the states, sure, I drove new Surburbans, Avalanches and nice, expensive cars. I can easily afford a "nice car" in Lima, but would never own one, because most drivers are not insured and you pay insurance to cover you and the other driver.

I have too much respect for fine automobiles to torture them in Lima. I love my VW bug, not because of the price, but because it is a very practical car here. My next purchase will be a bigger Land Rover, and, it will be about 15 years old and not insured.

cheers!

Theft and robbery - Great reason to have insurance.

My car was worth $9,000 - not a lot of money for a car here. Exactly the reason to have insurance for me was in case of auto theft. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that partial theft was not covered on cars that are timon cambiado when I bought the car. You live and learn. Next time, if I buy a nice car, I will not buy a car with timon cambiado.

To me, I thought, they will just steal my radio..no big deal, I'll replace it. so atleast I'll cover myself for crashes or if they take the car outright.

I didn't realize they would take the whole dash along with anything electrical, lights, mirrors, etc. Something like S/. 5000 soles in damages.

Insurance also covers another point that you made: crashes. If your car is totaled, you aren't left in the dust. I agree, a car less than $5,000, probably not worth to insure. But anything above that, for the price, since the insurance is not really expensive, is worth it.

To be fair, it is hard for me to disagree with you Jamie about having a beat up car here. I am debating that now actually. Low profile is never a bad thing in Peru.
Regards,

George
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Most of the cars in Tacna were low milage 10 year old Japanese cars that were converted from right to left hand drive.
Usually the heaters, radio, airconditioner and so on didnt work.
This is where the Ticos came from by the way! :D
Lately you see a lot of 15 year old or so American cars such as Toyotas and Hondas.
It is very, very hard to get parts for the American Import cars. The ones imported from Japan had carburators so they were eisier to get fixed.

I have a Chinese Wingle 4x4 pickup. I bought 2 of them and I have never had any problem with them except for spare tires disapearring.... :(

If you buy a car you got to have a garage to park it in or parts will disapear.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Jimmy111 wrote:I have a Chinese Wingle 4x4 pickup. I bought 2 of them and I have never had any problem with them except for spare tires disapearring.... :(

I have not seen that brand. Is there a link for a picture for it? I am interested in getting a SUV as my next car. How much do they run? Did you buy yours new or used?

George
Regards,

George
Jimmy111
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jimmy111 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 pm

I bought new. about $22,000 They are more now thatt the dollar has devaluedHere is a video of one. It is in Russian but it is better than a photo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvmf9Yy2A0
They make an SUV also.
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Jimmy111 wrote:I bought new. about $22,000 They are more now thatt the dollar has devaluedHere is a video of one. It is in Russian but it is better than a photo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvmf9Yy2A0

They make an SUV also.

Nice Pickup trucks.

Kind of in the mood for a chilled vodka after watching these videos! :)

I saw the SUV - Looks nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf73y7Z7 ... re=related

Here is what I found concerning crash tests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KY4Yi_N ... re=related
Regards,

George

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register