Heading to Iquitos, what precautions should I take.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Heading to Iquitos, what precautions should I take.

Postby americorps » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:21 pm

I am heading to Iquitos for a week at the end of October. I have seen the full list of injections, pills, inoculations, etc that I can take, but what I would like to know is what is the most essential.

I rule out hep a and b because I am vaccinated, and I have my tetnus updated.

Please note, I do NOT subscribe to the conspiracy theories that vaccines are evil conspiracies by imperialist western doctors.

cajun jamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby cajun jamie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:28 pm

My wife, son, sisters-in-law and all their kids went to iquitos 2 months ago. They took nothing. They stayed in a nice resort up the river.

They were advised to get vaccinated, but chose not to. Watch out for culantro.

Have a great trip! :)
Friends don't let friends fly LAN. Support StarPeru!

I am a proud supporter of Pukana Surf School. Miraflores, Playa Makaha - Yellow tent. http://www.pukanasurferschool.com/
jude
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jude » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Personally I'm a mosquito magnet so always take anti-malaria tablets when in and around Iquitos. Plenty of people don't bother, so if you don't you'll probably be alright. Either way take lots of deet and check your mosquito net carefully before going to bed.

Yellow fever vaccination is probably overkill for a week long trip as the disease is quite rare. On the other hand it is usually fatal. Depends on your paranoia I suppose. The vaccination does last 10 years and can be obtained cheaply in Lima.

Rabies seems completely unnecessary unless you plan to spend a lot of time around bats or are heading into deep jungle.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:39 pm

jude wrote:Personally I'm a mosquito magnet so always take anti-malaria tablets when in and around Iquitos. Plenty of people don't bother, so if you don't you'll probably be alright. Either way take lots of deet and check your mosquito net carefully before going to bed.

Yellow fever vaccination is probably overkill for a week long trip as the disease is quite rare. On the other hand it is usually fatal. Depends on your paranoia I suppose. The vaccination does last 10 years and can be obtained cheaply in Lima.

Rabies seems completely unnecessary unless you plan to spend a lot of time around bats or are heading into deep jungle.

If you opt for the yellow fever shots have them well in advance.
First you have to have had them for a given period before they are effective. Second, though some people suffer no side effects from them, others do. My brother in law was seriously ill for almost a week afer his so, you need to allow time to recover just in case you are unlucky to have a reaction.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:16 am

Great advice, thanks folks.

I will go with the pills for Malaria, and be careful with the food and water and misquitos.

Cheers
snat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby snat » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:44 pm

It is always a good idea to have tetnus up to date. I was in the jungle for three weeks last year and the best thing was 100% Deet. Dont use the water and be carefull eating
Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Ron » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:30 am

Beware of the lucuma popsicles!!! I spent a fantastic week in Iquitos until the second last day, bought a lucuma popsicle and spent the next three days in the bathroom. Also, beware of prostitutes. I was propositioned twice in one day while I was walking with my wife and mother!

Have a great trip!
rubble
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rubble » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Ron
The washerwomen of Iquitos, perhaps?
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:46 pm

It's pretty unusual to take anything to go to Iquitos unless you are going out to a jungle retreat. The entire population of Iquitos seems happy enough without popping malaria pills. There's a steady population growth and the streets are not littered with unclaimed dead.

Malaria pills also have unpleasant side affects. And all vaccines contain horrendous amounts of mercury, conspiracy theories or not. They are generally to be avoided if at all possible... you have to strike a risk balance.

The best malaria prevention in existence are long sleeved t-shirts or light shirts. You will be sweating whatever you wear, even if you wear nothing, so what's the difference?

:)
antonio
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby antonio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:57 pm

I haven't been in Iquitos yet, but have been in a similar jungle city as Pucallpa. One of my best experience was an ayahuasca section. At the beginning I was a little worry about being into the jungle lay down at the ground waiting for the night, but the shaman was the father of a friend of mine, and the entire group very friendly. We were at the other side of the yarinacocha lagoon.

A recommended food to eat -> fish. The taste of the meat obtained from river fish is quite different than the taste of fishes from the Ocean. Also I recommend eating "yuca". It's softer than the yuca obtained in the coast.

A couple of drink are unguragui and aguajina (obtained from aguaje). Probably also exists camu-camu (the info says it has 30 times more vitamin C than orange)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register