Singlefather no more where are you

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rozzy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Singlefather no more where are you

Postby rozzy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi...just curious, has anyone heard from Single father...ive been waiting to see an update on his life now in Chiclayo with his children and wife..i love his posts :D
Cheers
Ros

tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:59 am

I have spoken to him and chatted a few times. He is teaching english at ICPNA. My sister-in law was in his class. He and the family are fine.

he ran into some bad luck. He was robbed by a taxi driver and a few friends if the driver. But last I heard he was fine and his kids are fine.

Note: when in a taxi do not allow the drive to call on his cell or answer a call. Tell them immediately that you want to get out if they choose not to. It will be worth the few soles you are paying him.

My brother in law in Chiclayo was robbed and beaten-up a week before SF.
He wears a vest like the cambistas and a moto-taxi thought he had money. He is fine no major injuries.
Yuyis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Yuyis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Well that's not nice to hear about Jeff being robbed after only a few weeks in Chiclayo. Good to know he got a job though.
But I think taxi drivers take advantage of people not speaking Spanish, assuming they're tourists and have plata.
Last time I heard from him was two weeks ago, inviting me for an expat meeting. Couldn't go though. Hope to meet him soon on another accasion.
If you read this: all the best, Jeff!
God bless Peru - and all of you!
www.esenzachiclayo.com
ibanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ibanker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:17 pm

man. poor guy. he seems to have had a decent amount of bad luck lately. too bad. hope everything works out
Yuyis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Yuyis » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Well, Tupac, that is a good hint. But how can one forbid a taxi driver to use his cell phone? I mean: can you right away demand he don't use it? Would indeed be a good thing, but I'd be reluctant to ask...

www.esenzachiclayo.com
KenBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby KenBE » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:07 am

I think the best way to avoid the risk of getting mugged in a taxi is to always call one, especially at night. Here in Trujillo there are several taxi companies that seem quite safe. Taking a random taxi is a huge risk here in Peru.
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 am

How sad! Jeff was so happy to return to Peru. Hope he is fine now. Glad he got a job!

Tupac, please send him our regards!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Yuyis wrote:Well, Tupac, that is a good hint. But how can one forbid a taxi driver to use his cell phone? I mean: can you right away demand he don't use it? Would indeed be a good thing, but I'd be reluctant to ask...

Yuyis - Not sure about other parts of Peru, but in Lima, it's a fine to talk to on the phone and drive. Just tell the guy that you need to get out. Sounds paranoid, but even if you speak Spanish, they can still call to let his friends know that they are on the way.
Regards,

George
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Just tell him to stop and drop you where ever you are and take another Taxi. He is giving his destination to his buddies when he is talking on the phone.

He wants his fare he will stay off the phone or call after you reach your destination.

Jeff was robbed a block from his home. I get suspicious when a cab takes an out of the way route. I usually ask why/

Yuyis wrote:Well, Tupac, that is a good hint. But how can one forbid a taxi driver to use his cell phone? I mean: can you right away demand he don't use it? Would indeed be a good thing, but I'd be reluctant to ask...
american_in_lima
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby american_in_lima » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:49 pm

Another good tip: Before getting in the taxi - When speaking to the taxi driver for the first time and if your destination is near something that is very well known or popular and the driver seems not to know where it is, your best bet is to tell the taxi very politely no thank you. Lots of times, they will test you to see if you know where the location is. They could be genuine, but the odds are against them.

Just grab the taxi behind him or wait for another one.

George
Regards,

George
euroman
Gold Member
Gold Member

este

Postby euroman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 pm

I dont know him but I hope he is fine after the robbery.
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Not sure about other parts of Peru, but in Lima, it's a fine to talk to on the phone and drive.

I took my driving test yesterday so happen to know that:

El Reglamento Nacional de Tránsito, ¿permite el uso del teléfono celular de mano cuando se está conduciendo un vehículo?

Permite su uso cuando está detenido o estacionado.
art.87° D.S.016-2009-MTC

ie; only when you're stopped or parked. Not that it makes the slightest difference, as with the other 199 questions. I assume hands free is legal.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:48 pm

jajaja: Hands-free?

the only legal way to get robbed in Peru.

Just be careful when a Taxi decides to call from his cell phone. Not worth the few soles you have to pay to take a second taxi :-)

gerard wrote:
Not sure about other parts of Peru, but in Lima, it's a fine to talk to on the phone and drive.

El Reglamento Nacional de Tránsito, ¿permite el uso del teléfono celular de mano cuando se está conduciendo un vehículo?

art.87° D.S.016-2009-MTC

ie; only when you're stopped or parked. Not that it makes the slightest difference, as with the other 199 questions. I assume hands free is legal.
singlefather
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby singlefather » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Hello everyone,

This is a short note as I have to run. My family and I are fine and doing well in Chiclayo. My kids love it here and it will be hard to get them to go back to Canada. They are learning spanish at a incredible rate and have many friends. I am learning slower. jajaja

I was robbed but it was my fault for choosing the wrong cab and I take resposnsibilty for that. The thiefs made out like bandits since they got my wedding ring whichs sucks and hurts. They also got a good amount of cash and my cards..

The worst is that they got my glasses and I have to replace mine. Right now I am wearing my prescription semi sunglasses.. jajajaja

I did not get hurt to bad but got shook up.

My wife has been incredible to my kids and I .. We are so happy together.

There are days of course with cultural , languange misunderstanding plus latina temperment that drive me nuts for a short well like a few hours.. But they are few and far between now.

My children consider my wife their mother not their step mother .. she gives them and I lots of love , kisses and hugs..

I will post more in a few days,

Te amo Roxi , Chiclayo , Peru and the people of Peru.

I always look at everything with the glass half full and not half empty.

Jeff

Yuyis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Yuyis » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 pm

I'm happy to know you're fine, Jeff. But why do you take responsability for those bastards!? You did not know they were gonna rob you, so it's not your fault for having taken that one cab, I guess. Anyway, good luck! And... did you get a dog yet??

www.esenzachiclayo.com
sonia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sonia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

What wonderful news you give us! All of us that have gotten to know you and your family in this forum share in your new found happiness in Chiclayo!

Sonia
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:39 am

With regards to having your wedding ring stolen, I took some advise from a colleague of mine recently and bought two cheap gold plated rings for S/.50 Good enough for dress purposes without turning your fingers green.
Now when I'm out and about using public transport and wandering round central Lima I have no worries.
excaliguy
Silver Member
Silver Member

driver's license

Postby excaliguy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:08 am

To the gentleman who took the driving test, do you know if it can be taken in english (I doubt it)? I might be able to pass in spanish but it would be touch and go...
singlefather
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby singlefather » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:36 am

Yuyis wrote:I'm happy to know you're fine, Jeff. But why do you take responsability for those bastards!? You did not know they were gonna rob you, so it's not your fault for having taken that one cab, I guess. Anyway, good luck! And... did you get a dog yet??

I did not take a secure cab and it was at night. I learned a lesson. my fault

Jeff
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: driver's license

Postby stuart » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am

excaliguy wrote:To the gentleman who took the driving test, do you know if it can be taken in english (I doubt it)? I might be able to pass in spanish but it would be touch and go...

Look at some of the many other topics in the forum on this subject. Unless you have 0 Spanish, or have some kind of learning disability, you can pass the test in just a few minutes with basic prep. But be warned, seeing everyone else around you failing with all their questions lit up in red and not green will likely make you more nervous about driving here.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:47 am

markr wrote:With regards to having your wedding ring stolen, I took some advise from a colleague of mine recently and bought two cheap gold plated rings for S/.50 Good enough for dress purposes without turning your fingers green.
Now when I'm out and about using public transport and wandering round central Lima I have no worries.

Could you please PM me details? My ring was stolen (from my home of all places) and I've never had enough "spare" money to replace it.
stuart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby stuart » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:51 am

singlefather wrote:Hello everyone,

This is a short note as I have to run. My family and I are fine and doing well in Chiclayo. My kids love it here and it will be hard to get them to go back to Canada. They are learning spanish at a incredible rate and have many friends. I am learning slower. jajaja

I was robbed but it was my fault for choosing the wrong cab and I take resposnsibilty for that. The thiefs made out like bandits since they got my wedding ring whichs sucks and hurts. They also got a good amount of cash and my cards..

The worst is that they got my glasses and I have to replace mine. Right now I am wearing my prescription semi sunglasses.. jajajaja

I did not get hurt to bad but got shook up.

My wife has been incredible to my kids and I .. We are so happy together.

There are days of course with cultural , languange misunderstanding plus latina temperment that drive me nuts for a short well like a few hours.. But they are few and far between now.

My children consider my wife their mother not their step mother .. she gives them and I lots of love , kisses and hugs..

I will post more in a few days,

Te amo Roxi , Chiclayo , Peru and the people of Peru.

I always look at everything with the glass half full and not half empty.

Jeff

Your kids are very lucky. You seem to be on a roll when it comes to making great (though as I am sure people in Canada have told you "unorthodox") decisions.
Your kids are surely picking up great skills and experiences, and now have a mother's love to boot.

Congrats.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:59 am

We had Titanium rings , but now our rings are coconut :-).

She keeps the diamond in the house and only when we go out for a formal occasion in a sercure manner does my wife wear it.

markr wrote:With regards to having your wedding ring stolen, I took some advise from a colleague of mine recently and bought two cheap gold plated rings for S/.50 Good enough for dress purposes without turning your fingers green.
Yuyis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Yuyis » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Well, Jeff, sorry for judging here. But I also suffered some robbings and am just frustrated by how they always get away with it. As if they can take whatever they want without gaining it in a sincere way.
As for the 'secure' cabs, do you mean those with the city weapon on them?

www.esenzachiclayo.com
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:46 pm

To the gentleman who took the driving test, do you know if it can be taken in english (I doubt it)? I might be able to pass in spanish but it would be touch and go...

They said I could do it in English but it would take 30 minutes to set up a PC. I took it in Spanish as I'd learnt the answers in Spanish, and trust me, if I can pass in Spanish then anyone can! I didn't particularly worry about what the questions said, I just memorised a few key words in each question and the correct response.

You have 40 questions and need to get 30 right, but you can skip over any you're not sure of and save them to the end. I skipped a few but got my 30 without needing to revisit any.
singlefather
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby singlefather » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Yuyis wrote:Well, Jeff, sorry for judging here. But I also suffered some robbings and am just frustrated by how they always get away with it. As if they can take whatever they want without gaining it in a sincere way.
As for the 'secure' cabs, do you mean those with the city weapon on them?

The secure cabs are ones that are radio and dispatched controlled that charge a little premium. So if you call one there is a record of what driver picked you up.

The company my wife uses and calls for me is at 265410 here in Chiclayo .
Yuyis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Yuyis » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks, Jeff!

www.esenzachiclayo.com
mammalu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammalu » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:20 am

Jeff!

Glad you are fine and did not get hurt. Material things can be replaced ( I know, sometimes it will take time!), but you are OK.

It is great your family is together now. Ups and downs are normal and expected during the first year of marriage (or years?? :lol: ), the main thing you are fully committed to make it work.

Best Wishes!
Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong." ! Abraham Lincoln
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:27 pm

I second the idea of a fake ring. I've had people ask me if I'm afraid my ring will get stolen. It was 60 soles, we got it at a market. I wear an engagement ring, 60 soles and another band, 10 soles. They're silver. If they get stolen, it'll be a loss of a sentimental value object, not money. The real deal is somewhere safe.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:08 pm

naturegirl wrote:I second the idea of a fake ring. I've had people ask me if I'm afraid my ring will get stolen. It was 60 soles, we got it at a market. I wear an engagement ring, 60 soles and another band, 10 soles. They're silver. If they get stolen, it'll be a loss of a sentimental value object, not money. The real deal is somewhere safe.

The two I bought the other week from a market in China town cost me S/.50 for the pair. They look the real thing apart from the weight, and so far (2 weeks :lol: ) our fingers haven't turned green.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:51 pm

I guess I'm glad we were poor and just got simple silver bands from the plateria down the street.
markr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby markr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Kelly wrote:I guess I'm glad we were poor and just got simple silver bands from the plateria down the street.

It's nothing to do with being rich or poor.
The sentimental value of my wedding ring far outweighs the replacement cost however much that might be. It was the ring given to me by my wife as part of our wedding ceremony, for that I feel sorry for Jeff having had his stolen.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:

Postby mrsteak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:03 pm

tupacperu wrote:Note: when in a taxi do not allow the drive to call on his cell or answer a call. Tell them immediately that you want to get out if they choose not to. It will be worth the few soles you are paying him.

My brother in law in Chiclayo was robbed and beaten-up a week before SF.
He wears a vest like the cambistas and a moto-taxi thought he had money. He is fine no major injuries.

Yeah, my wife, peruvian, is also very paranoid about it... I had already lot of drivers receiving calls while driving me. Just listen to what they talk about. If you are riding by rather safe areas just don't be paranoid... To me nothing happened so far. Maybe I look to crazy or so LOL :mrgreen:

I had also a driver one time, he must have been on drugs... not alc. He could hardly keep the car going straight... but yes we did it to my home.

So what is more dangerous? Driver making a call or driver not able to drive straight?
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:

Postby mrsteak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 pm

if you are paranoid you could get somehow a cellular jammer and carry it in your backpack :) The other people around 100m won't have the carrier too, but who cares :D
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:

Postby mrsteak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 pm

gerard wrote:

art.87° D.S.016-2009-MTC

haha... as if police ever gave a poop about laws. You see them driving and using the phone too....

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register