Interpol for US citizens...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Interpol for US citizens...

Postby scott » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:21 pm

I am getting my CE, so I went to Interpol today... By far the easiest part.
Here is what is needed and the steps:

Go to the Interpol office: Av. Velasco Astete Nº 1491-Santiago de Surco, looks like a house, so you might miss it if you don't know the area.

1) Show your US passport.
2) You need to photocopy your US passport, the page with your picture and the page with your last entry stamp to Peru.
3a) Two photos, they take them at the office. S/10. You pay there, no need to go anywhere to pay that fee. They have to be taken there. The will have you fill out some info there too, they speak english, so if your Spanish if not good, don't worry.
3b) Dental check, no charge for that. Then lots of fingerprints.
4) Fee paid to Banco de la Nacion for S/72.42, bring the original receipt. Do this ahead of time it. Tell the teller at the bank you need to pay the fee for Code #08141, it will automatically pull up in their system.
5) A current copy of your marriage cert, legalized within the last year. Only if you are married to a Peruvian of course.
6) Solicitud del Interesado(easy to fill out). Basic info about you and your parents.
7) Do this ahead of time if you want...Giro sobre el exterior for USD$18.00, Banco de Credito or Scotiabank, both are very close by. There is a fee of USD$12 for the check. Made payable to "The Treasury of the USA"
8) you need to bring an Manila envelope, Oficio size. If you don't bring one, there is a shop like 2 blocks away that sells them.
9) Go to Seropost, which is like 3 blocks ways and send the envelope they give you to the US. Registered mail costs S/19.70. It goes to the FBI in Virginia. It is already labeled for you.

It usually takes a few days for the Interpol part, but if you are from a province, they will have it after 10am the next day.

I got there at about 8:15 and was #7. I was out in less than 45 minutes.

There is NO USD$200 fee of any sort mentioned on the legal page.

Visit my blog: http://www.saboraselva.com
Life in the Peruvian Amazon...
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Interpol for US citizens...

Postby uwwgal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:17 am

yep, Interpol was the easiest for me too. The $200 fee is for your CE. You will pay that at the banco de la nacion in migraciones. its cominggggggggg! ;)
Katie
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 am

UGG! I asked when I applied if there were any other fees and they said no. This was in Pucallpa, of course.
I am going to immigrations today to drop off my interpol info. I will ask and make sure. Thanks for the update :)
uwwgal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby uwwgal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 am

welcome to peru immigrations! jaja i had lots of special surprises. the last was the $200 for the CE and there was another fee with that as well that was around $50... i dont remember what it was for though.
Katie
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:14 pm

I almost had my CE in hand today. It is done, ready to go, but I can't have it. They took my picture, made the card and then...

I was here in 2003 for 2 weeks to visit family and have proof in my old passport. My passport expired in 2004 and in the US you get a new passport with a new number. Immigrations doesn't have a record of my leaving the country in 2003. I am like, what do you think I did for the last 6 years. My wife's Peruvian passport has the same stamps and dates, but that was not sufficient.

So... Immigrations told me I needed to fill a declaration that I have been out of the country and they would search for my TAN. 5 days it will take, I pleaded my case, as I don't have my old passport. They will try have it tomorrow.

Family in the states to the rescue. I got them to scan and send it in an email, so back to Immigrations in the morning to show them proof they missed the exit. I have the stamp.

So I will let everyone know how it goes tomorrow and finish up this post with the final details.

It is very fast. I applied on the 15th of October. Lima got it from Pucallpa on the 26th. It was approved on the 9th, yesterday.
mahou123
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mahou123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:33 pm

I´m going to get my CE tomorrow and I was confused too about this $200 fee some people mentioned. Apparently (so I´ve been told by migraciones in Chiclayo) you have to pay it unless it´s a ´llamado de familia´ class of immigration. Married to Peruvian people don´t pay it, but others do. I just hope it is a correct information.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 pm

I asked and they did not mention any other fees. I will let you know tomorrow. My wife is Peruvian and we have been married for 11 years.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 pm

scott wrote: Immigrations doesn't have a record of my leaving the country in 2003. I am like, what do you think I did for the last 6 years. My wife's Peruvian passport has the same stamps and dates, but that was not sufficient.

So... Immigrations told me I needed to fill a declaration that I have been out of the country and they would search for my TAN. 5 days it will take, I pleaded my case, as I don't have my old passport. They will try have it tomorrow.

Actually we had something similar some years ago. In our case my (Peruvian) wife needed her record of when she was in and out of Peru. But as they also missed one exit stamp of her there was this burocratic problem.
As she always traveled with me, they checked out my name in the computer. It had the same dates, and the missing exit of my wife, was correctly entered for me on that particular exit.
They changed it in their computer, and the next day we could get the printout we needed for her paperwork.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Yes, we did that also. My wife has a certified copy of her entries and exits, mine are the same. The exception is in 2005 when she traveled to Peru by herself, to be with her dad before he passed. It is frustrating, but I have all the proof now, so I expect it to be resolved tomorrow. I just had to get someone to scan my old passport and the missing exit stamp is there, so that should be proof enough, I hope :)
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:24 pm

ARG!!!! So... I spent over 4 hours at immigrations today. They would not accept my scanned, expired passport, they need the tangible version. To top it off, the reason we spent hours there today was to have them locate my TAM for that flight in 2003, they still insist I have been here for 6 years. They dont want to see my bank accounts, taxes returns, nothing but that exxpired passport, glad I kept it.

I will have my expired passport in hand tomorrow, had to have it sent here. They siad that will be sufficient proof for them.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:45 pm

So... I am now officially a resident of Peru. As I stated before there is NO $200 fee, NO $50 fee.
I am married to a Peruvian, so maybe that is the difference.

My wife and I did everything ourselves, no attorney. Just reseach and readiing up on the current laws.

So after you get your Interpol results, you head over to Immigrations, its in Brena, Av Espana #730. Leave it in Mesa de Partes, first floor. Then they will have you go up to the third floor and go to window #15. You need your Expediente #.

Ater a bit of questioning. Spouse's info, your religion, color of your eyes and hair, your height, they will have you go to the office directly behing window 15 to have your photo taken and fingerprints. It takes about 45 minutes to get the card after that.

It is done, I can work... officially, open a bank account, get my drivers license.

If anyone has any question PM me, or check my blog, I have posted the info there as well.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 pm

One thing I forgot. If you applied from a province, like me... Pucallpa. Immigrations will give you a sealed envelope with all your details from the CE fingerprinting and photo process to be dropped off at your local Immigrations office.

I did that today, they explained I need to pay ONLY S/.27 twice a year. Not the other fee as I am married to a Peruvian. I got the lecure on not being out of the counrty for more than 6 months or they would cancel my CE and that after two years I can become a citizen.

I think that is about all...

Scott
jessica.delosrios
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jessica.delosrios » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:12 pm

thank you scott!!!

interpol is on my to-do list for this week... and you just made it a helluva lot easier.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:32 pm

You are most welcome. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, or look at my blog, I posted more updates there as well :)
ashmess408

Postby ashmess408 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:56 am

Hi Scott,
I'm also a U.S.citizen but I have to go to Interpol for my work permit. I didn't bring any checks w/me and don't have an acct here yet. Did you see anything there saying if they accept cash or VISA cards? THANKS
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:10 am

You'll have to pay cash for all these fees.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 am

Yep, cash for everything. I guess my post last night didn't work :(
jessica.delosrios
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jessica.delosrios » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:14 pm

a quick verification question... i went to interpol about a month ago... am i supposed to receive something at my residence????

thanx, Jessica
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:05 pm

I did, basically something saying 'congrats, you're not a criminal'. I can't remember how long it took, though - a month or so sounds about right.
scott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby scott » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:21 pm

From the FBI website, it takes 8-10 weeks to process the request, from the date they receive it. I did mine on November 10th and still don't have anything back. I know I am good to go, my last contract job in the states required an FBI background check.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:48 am

scott wrote:I am getting my CE, so I went to Interpol today... By far the easiest part.
Here is what is needed and the steps:

Go to the Interpol office: Av. Velasco Astete Nº 1491-Santiago de Surco, looks like a house, so you might miss it if you don't know the area.

1) Show your US passport.
2) You need to photocopy your US passport, the page with your picture and the page with your last entry stamp to Peru.
3)...

Does the photocopy of my passport and entry stamp need to be legalized by a Notaria? On another thread I read that I need to bring a photocopy of my wife's DNI. Does this need to be legalized as well?
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:35 pm

I believe the office has moved, but couldn't tell you to where. Can someone confirm?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:58 pm

From the Policia Nacional website:

DIRECCIÓN : Av. Manuel Olguin s/n cuadra # 6 (Comisaria de Monterrico)

It's near Jockey Plaza.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register