Peruvian Airlines ... Please post reviews, discussion, etc.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
adamsouthfl
Silver Member
Silver Member

Peruvian Airlines ... Please post reviews, discussion, etc.

Postby adamsouthfl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:32 am

I walked by the office on Ave. Pardo in Miraflores last week. Has anyone tried them yet? It's nice to see another alternative to LAN.

jsmdominguez

Re: Peruvian Airlines ... Please post reviews, discussion, etc.

Postby jsmdominguez » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:17 am

I've had my encounters with them, some friends are working there and I was told they have money issues... (not being paid in time and stuff). There is a blog that shows info and news about Peruvian airlines. There are comments from people who used their services and also people looking for jobs http://www.peruvianairlines.com. I also read in there that there might be another Peruvian airline coming form the Wong capital. Who knows... United Airlines is also coming back and perhaps JeTBlue will start flying to Lima as well. I think the travel and tourism industry in Peru is definitely growing but there should be more investment in infrastructure.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:12 am

I am thinking of booking a trip to Arequipa. Man I don't want to pay the $178 gringo tax on LAN nor do I foresee a 20+ hour bus trip ever in my life. So that seems to leave me few options. Is $178 worth a little peace of mind to be on a more reputable airplane with less of a chance of crashing into the Andes? My friend back in November took Peruvian Airlines to Arequipa and was satisfied. Decisions......
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 am

I just got a ticket with Peruvian Airlines to Tacna and will fly in late Feb. I will let you know how it goes.
gregdev

Postby gregdev » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey

Do they fly between any other South American countries?
I'm flying from South Africa in late Feb and trying to find the cheapest way in - the best seems to be SA to Argentina or Brazil and then try find a cheap flight into Lima..?
Any insights?
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gerard » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm flying from South Africa in late Feb and trying to find the cheapest way in - the best seems to be SA to Argentina or Brazil and then try find a cheap flight into Lima..?

I flew Lima-J'berg return a few months back. Easiest routing I could find was using SAA and TACA through Buenos Aires, and price was similar to the alternatives. Not sure they fly every day though. The SAA flights were pretty empty both ways so plenty of space to spread out. TACA are an SAA codeshare partner so baggage went straight through.

I have a feeling I saw a LAN advert somewhere saying they were adding extra daily flights between Lima and both BA and Sao Paulo, so might be worth looking at them. But check if that would involve recheking your bags; I only had a 90 minute connection in BA on the way back so there would have been no hope of clearing immigration, collecting bags and rechecking them.
gregdev

Postby gregdev » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:28 am

Legendary, thanks Gerard, I'll look into it.
iskndarbey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby iskndarbey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Peruvian Airlines has $45 flights to Arequipa now -- I flew a few weeks ago, we took off on time and landed in the right city, so it was a success as far as I'm concerned. They don't yet publish an in-flight magazine, so if that's a concern for you and you don't have a DNI, you'll just have to pay $100 extra to go on LAN!
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:01 pm

I just got back from flying Peruvian Airlines Lima/Tacna/Lima.

It was great.

We were about 15 minutes late leaving the airport, and they apologized about 15 times and explained what was going on. The service was remarkable and they came back and offered us refills 3 times.

The staff was nice and accommodating.

The plane was clearly aged, and I am not a mechanic, but I could see or feel nothing askew..smooth flight, take-off, landing...no weird noises or extreme shaking..no bolts left on the tarmac, everything functioned.

My only complaint...no magazine. :)
nirlep

Postby nirlep » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:20 pm

I have traveled in almost all the major airlines in the world and found that every airline has provides more or less same kind of serivce.coming to this particular airline,I recently traveled in this airline ans was overall satisfied with their service.Every airline wants to maximize their profit in this tough competing market and hence they had to bargain with the in flight service.They are reducing the ticket prices but at the cost of in flight service.
PeruvianBeauty

Postby PeruvianBeauty » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 am

americorps wrote:I just got back from flying Peruvian Airlines Lima/Tacna/Lima.

It was great.

We were about 15 minutes late leaving the airport, and they apologized about 15 times and explained what was going on. The service was remarkable and they came back and offered us refills 3 times.

The staff was nice and accommodating.

The plane was clearly aged, and I am not a mechanic, but I could see or feel nothing askew..smooth flight, take-off, landing...no weird noises or extreme shaking..no bolts left on the tarmac, everything functioned.

My only complaint...no magazine. :)

Hey guys! My sincerest apologies for posting an (obviously) older topic, but I've been looking for all sorts of South American airline reviews. I looked all around the internet, but happened to stumble upon this thread -- and frankly, I couldn't be happier. There's nothing better than getting a review from someone you KNOW is human. Conversational reviews are SO helpful because there's this back and fourth discussion on whether or not you enjoyed something.

Either way, I'm glad to have found these reviews. Thank you ALL! Now I have a MUCH better idea of what airline I'll be going with.

But I have a quick question. Say I couldn't find this thread and I had to find a travel agent -- essentially my main travel decision maker. Has anyone here used angies list to find reviews on travel agents? Seeing as you guys are reviewing things, maybe you can review that for me. :mrgreen:

Take care, folks! Thanks again!!!!
Liliana
docster67
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby docster67 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Flown a few times with Peruvian airlines over the last few years and never had a problem. there a good option on the lima - iquitos route as they fly direct the same as LAN do without having to stop in Pucalpa or tarapota on the way to or from like Star do. Prices fantastic and for a 1 hour 40 min flight i can do without a magazine. Yes the planes are a bit dated and not as confortable as the newer Lan planes but for a $150 saving each way you can't go wrong. staff both in the offices and the flight crew were very attentive. Overall good experiance
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:17 pm

And by quoting it, now you are. :p
rama0929
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rama0929 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:56 pm

americorps wrote:

Spamarama

First a frog, now this? :evil:

:mrgreen:
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 am

LAN is one of the best airlines, I flew with. And very cheap. We went to Foz Do Iguazu in Brasil last month and they even gave us each $600 in travelvouchers because the flight was overbooked and we volunteered to take the next flight. (only 2 hours later and with a nice stopover in Sao Paulo).
Tomorrow, we´ll be going to Buenos Aires for free as we used our travel vouchers.

Starperu is also good because you can easily cancel or change your flight dates without any penalties. In case you miss your flight, you don´t lose your money either. They charge you a small no-show fee and you can take another flight.

Peruvian airlines is now an Irish airline and is going in the right direccion. Hopefully, the will change their fleet as their aircrafts are between 20 and 35 years old. Most of their aircrafts are used for spare parts for the few remaining ones that fly. Before you fly out of Lima and taxi towards the runway, you often pass past the stands where some of their non used aircrafts are parked.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:14 pm

As is evident by the many people here posting about Peruvian Airlines, their service is great and reliable.

They are not an Irish Airline, that article was mistaken. They have rented some airplanes from an Irish company, but remain the same company and the Irish company does not have an ownership interest.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:53 pm

americorps wrote:They are not an Irish Airline, that article was mistaken. They have rented some airplanes from an Irish company, but remain the same company and the Irish company does not have an ownership interest.

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-743-Pe ... f-company/
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:59 pm

as I said chi chi, that article was a mistake, it is not true.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:07 pm

I heard Peruvian Airlines is good but financially not stable. And could be gone by tomorrow. I don't know how to claim your money back if the are gone.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:18 pm

i find it extremly irresponsible to claim such a thing. This is the second time you disparage a Peruvian company without being able to support your claim.

I find that very suspect and unprofessional.
Arroz con Pollo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Arroz con Pollo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Used them to fly to Iquitos this past weekend. Flight cost $160 round trip booked 3 days in advance. Online checkin/boarding pass printed from home made things a snap at the airport since I did carry on only. Flight from Lima was delayed 15 minutes because so many family members seem to be bringing back tons of crap back to families in Iquitos from Lima that they had to check a lot of luggage while we sat and waited on the plane which probably bumped us down the control tower's queue. Flight was smooth each way. Received a little sandwich and keke with a beverage. Leaving Iquitos was odd. Flight was scheduled for 8:30. It got confirmed for 9:30 and showed "On Time" on the screen which was nonsense since it was technically delayed an hour. However, it's the same plane that leaves Lima at 6:20am and arrives to Iquitos at 8am. Logistically there is no freakin way you could schedule that flight for 8:30am so I sort of arrived to the airport realizing I'd be delayed. I don't know why they don't just make the flight time 9am or something.

Regardless it was an overall positive experience and economical since I remain a border hopper. I've now used Peruvian for Tacna, Arequipa and Iquitos and all have been very good experiences. A+++ would fly again.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Arroz con Pollo wrote:Leaving Iquitos was odd. Flight was scheduled for 8:30. It got confirmed for 9:30 and showed "On Time" on the screen which was nonsense since it was technically delayed an hour.

Maybe it's because they know when you schedule something for 8:30, no one shows up until 9:30 :lol:
jwjpilot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jwjpilot » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

As a heads up and update on Peruvian Airlines, I flew with them last week to Cuzco and back, and there was a major issue with the flight to Cuzco.

The flight to Cuzco was extremely delayed. It was scheduled to leave at 10am on Tuesday. On Monday I got a call from the airline saying that the flight would not depart until 1pm. That was OK for my plans, so I didn't have a problem with it. On Tuesday, I got to the airport, checked in, and went to the gate. At the gate I was told that the flight was delayed until 2pm. When 2pm rolled around, there still wasn't a plane, and they told us the flight would leave at 2:15, then 2:30, then 2:45. In the end, we finally started boarding at 2:50pm.

I had tickets scheduled for the train to Aguas Calientes leaving from Ollantaytambo, and I had planned to take the bus from Cuzco to there. Because of the extreme delay of the flight, I had to end up taking a S/.100 taxi ride to Ollantaytambo to catch the train on time.
It was not a great experience!

The flight attendant told me that the flight was delayed so long because on Monday the plane that was supposed to go to Piura broke (who knows in what way), and that flight was canceled. So, on Tuesday, they had to use the Cuzco plane to take the Piura passengers to Piura.

While the delay was extreme, they did give us the meals and drinks they would have given us on the flight while we waited in the airport, and they were very apologetic for the delay.

The flight back to Lima was great and left right on time.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 pm

I am not sure I would call that a major issue for an airline, a major issue for you and for that flight, but unless it is a regular event, it is a minor issue for the airline, but more important, it sounded like they had lots of communication and served you as best they could, much more than Lan did for me then they cancelled my flight.
jwjpilot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jwjpilot » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 pm

As I said, there was a major issue with the flight to Cusco.
Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gary » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Peruvian Airlines has a promotion going on until March 18. I was able to get tickets to Iquitos for $42.70 each way, I'll post about the experience when I return.
Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gary » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:06 pm

I flew Peruvian Airlines from Lima to Iquitos and return, both flights were close to being on time. The plane was clean, the employees on ground and in air were very polite, a snack was served and the tickets were inexpensive, I could not ask for anything more, they are now my first choice for in Peru flights
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Gary wrote:Image

That 25 year old banger on the picture got nicely restored.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:59 pm

I have flown with them a number of times and the first time was great - on time, comfortable, courteous service. The next time was horrific and we were waiting more than 5 HOURS in Lima airport. The return leg we had to wait nearly 3 HOURS extra. The following times were all similar to the 2nd and we expereince long delays. I now avoid them as much as possible.
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Wed May 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Your right Chi chi and that´s the problem. It´s a 25 year old banger, which is also less fuel efficient and emits more noise pollution. It would also be second hand with a fair amount of flying hours on it before they brought it.
chi chi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby chi chi » Thu May 10, 2012 2:31 am

TonyLeslie wrote:Your right Chi chi and that´s the problem. It´s a 25 year old banger, which is also less fuel efficient and emits more noise pollution. It would also be second hand with a fair amount of flying hours on it before they brought it.

They still have some Boeing 737-200's. That aircraft type is banned in Europe.

I hope they change their fleet soon to reliable AIRBUS aircraft.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register