Jewellery shop.

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
AshMath

Jewellery shop.

Postby AshMath » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Would any of you lovely people be able to recommend any places where I could buy jewellery in the Miraflores area. Specifically rings.

I've come over from England for Christmas and New Year and I intend to propose to my Peruvian girlfriend. I was hoping my money would stretch that bit further over here but at the same time I don't want to be taken for a ride because I'm a johnny foreigner. Not really sure if Peruvians have their own traditional style of ring - i know silver is popular - but I have a diamond solitaire in my head. All that said, ultiamtely i want to buy whatever I think is prettiest.

Any recommendations would be much aprpeciated.

Thanks.

sonia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Jewellery shop.

Postby sonia » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Peruvians do wear diamond engagement rings. But their cost is way beyond the financial possibilities of 98% of the population.

There are fancy jewelry shops that sell beautiful diamond rings. I don´t know how the quality and price of diamonds here compares to what is available in the US or the UK. The very best, and most expensive, jewelry shops, like Banchero, advertise in Cosas, the glossy magazine full of colorful ads and photos sold in some newsstands and at places like Wong supermarkets.
americorps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby americorps » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 pm

There are a couple very nice, but high-end jewelry shops in Centro Comerical Camino del Inka in Chacarilla, Surco near the corner of Angamos and San Luis.
Kelly

Postby Kelly » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Has anyone ever gone in the 'antique' shops on La Paz in Miraflores? I noticed in passing that they seem to have a lot of what looks like estate sale stuff - is it possible they might have jewelry?
Jonathanme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Jonathanme » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:07 pm

Keep in mind 1 oz (28 grams) of gold right now is about $1100. That is for 24 karot, pure gold. Here in Peru normally the sales are for 18 karot.

You can have an idea when they weigh the gold on a scale, how much a ring is worth. (not including any hand work)
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Ashmath,

If you are looking for a quality jewelry store in Miraflores, look no further than "Migue" on Ave. La Paz. In fact, there are two of them, one across the street from another. They have a huge selection, prices are reasonable, and the owners are pleasant and honest. I have lived through 15 Valentines, birthdays and Christmas in Peru, and since I live on La Paz Avenue, I have had the chance to enter most of the jewelry shops there at least once.

Really... don`t waste your time with most of those places. Limited selection and doubtful quality. Go straight to Migue. You won`t regret it. I believe they are located on the 3rd block of La Paz (Between Cantuarias and Esperanza)
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:11 am

Aldo has always looked after us well. Jewellery made to order and available in a few days. They are in Jockey Plaza and their workshop is in Premavera. Trustworth reliable and the prices are good.
viernes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby viernes » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:28 pm

having recently purchased a ring in the U.S. and having browsed el centro de Lima, I have come to the conclusion that gold and silver are cheaper in Peru, you can get them made to exact specifications in relatively short time for relatively cheap prices compared to the U.S. at least, but diamonds (with a certification that they are real and with few flaws) are more expensive. Plus in the U.S, at least, It is easy to buy used diamonds (from pawn shops and what not - and any jeweller will test them for free) and then mount them for cheaper, I don't know if this is possible, or if I could trust someone to tell me that the rock they are mounting on my ring is a diamond.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register